Kitten

Mistygizmo0121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my new kitten yesterday he is supposed to be 8 weeks on the 24/1/2022
I'm having to bottle feed as he will not eat wet/dry food iv tried mashing up the wet food but he will not touch it, if tried putting a bit on his mouth but no luck, I'm teaching him the litter tray , he does play, he crys when hungry and crys when he needs litter tray, any help would be great

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible your kitten is a smidgen younger then you think, it's equally possible that he isn't weaned yet. Eight weeks really is too young to be taken from mom. Not only the not fully weaned risk but also your kitten hasn't had cat 101 lessons for behavior and how to cat from mom yet. If there is a way to return it to mom until it is at least 12 weeks old or up to 16 weeks that is best. But if that isn't an option the Kitten Lady has some great guides on weaning that you will probably find useful. Kitten Care - View All — Kitten Lady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mistygizmo0121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is possible your kitten is a smidgen younger then you think, it's equally possible that he isn't weaned yet. Eight weeks really is too young to be taken from mom. Not only the not fully weaned risk but also your kitten hasn't had cat 101 lessons for behavior and how to cat from mom yet. If there is a way to return it to mom until it is at least 12 weeks old or up to 16 weeks that is best. But if that isn't an option the Kitten Lady has some great guides on weaning that you will probably find useful. Kitten Care - View All — Kitten Lady
Hello carnt return to his mother, how often do I feed him with bottle I'm feeding him on demand I do work 6 hours and hes ready for his bottle straight away, he has just over half bottle each feed

Mistygizmo0121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do mush down his kitten wet food and either put in his kitten milk or water I keep trying him I leave out in his bowl too but hes not interested

Mistygizmo0121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I get kittens mouth open to place a bit of kitten wet food in so he can taste

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always scooped up a tiny bit on the end of my finger and spread it on their lips. They automatically lick them and get the idea. Then do it over the plate of food and lead your finger down to the food on the plate. Kittens eat solid food when they are ready. I would bet he will eat in the next week or two. you might leave out a plate of kitten hard food to see if he prefers that. Or soften some with the kitten milk formula. You might get different brands too, fancy feast makes kitten food, and cats seem to really like it or even try some of the lickable treats out now.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might also try syringe feeding with a very sloppy mix of cat food and KMR if he won't eat, but try the food-on-a-finger first. It's easier and might work, which will save you a lot of fuss.

Mistygizmo0121

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got home from work he only wanted a little from bottle he kept crying, I got his kitten wet foot showed him and hes eating it yay he watched my dog eating and he began, he drinks water with my dog I'm so happy