Kitten Yowling

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In addition to the extra food, your little guy needs a buddy to play with and cuddle with. He’s lonely. I always say that two kittens are in many ways easier than one for the very reasons you are experiencing.

At three months old your kitten has tons of appetite and energy, and cats are naturally nocturnal. He will, over time, learn to sleep at night, but not yet. I recall when my cat’s kittens were young, mama kitty would take her kittens downstairs where they would play with toys and each other to their heart’s content during the night.

Is there a litter mate still available? If not, adopt another kitten who is his same age and with an outgoing but sweet personality - probably another male. They will likely be friends for life, and you should be able to sleep!

M mangojuusu

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mangojuusu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama He never said a peep at his foster home. But then he was surrounded by 2 adult cats, 2 of his siblings, and a dog to play with...

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 di and bob di and bob This is all helpful advice but what you say kind of conflicts! "He needs a friend" or "he'll adjust in time" - probably both true, but which one will make us both happier, faster?

To give a little more context, I'm a grad student and I'm in my lab a lot running experiments. Unfortunately I can't always be home to keep him awake during the day. I'll also be moving in about a week, so it doesn't make sense to introduce another cat til after I move, if that's what it takes. And all his siblings are all gone unfortunately, but there's plenty of kitties around his age still in the shelter.

I still don't know what to do haha. I really want some sleep. :sleep2:

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess live with it. It will eventually resolve itself when he gets older. Every new parent goes through this, it is a big adjustment, sometimes you wonder what you got yourself into! (kids and pets!)
PS Just LOOK at that sweet boy! WAKE HIM UP!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or, adopt a friend for him as soon as possible and everyone will be happier. He didn’t yowl before because he wasn’t lonely. With your long grad school hours he needs a pal to play with.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
MOST cats do better in multi-cat households...the question is, can you survive this next week, then seriously consider a "sibling" for him, whether his own or an adopted one? The earlier, the better, as a kitten's urge to play is far stronger than their territorialism at that age, so introductions are much faster, often instantaneous.

I do agree, while keeping the above in mind, that eventually he WILL settle down and stop crying at night. But he'd be thrilled to have a companion.

mangojuusu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Okay, I think I'm leaning towards getting him a friend. But since I'm moving around the 23rd would it be less stressful to wait til after the move or should I just bite the bullet and get a new kitty now? Will a week make a huge difference in how well he accepts the new cat?

There's a lot of people in this apartment (me + 4 roommates + roommate's boyfriend + cat) even though there's technically enough food and litter boxes and everything for two cats. It just seems like it would make more sense to wait a bit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I say go for it now. The kittens will likely bond right away and will easily adjust to your new place. They will also fit together in one average size pet taxi at this age. Maybe put them in your room together away from everyone else the first couple of days.

Do let us know how it goes! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd kinda go for it now. I think that, even with the move, it makes sense, and the kittens could explore their new territory together. And it may give you a few good nights' sleep before the move!

mangojuusu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I got a new kitten, and it's a new day with the same problems... :ohwell:

New kitten (Tofu) is exceptionally well behaved and well-adjusted, considering I got her ~2 days ago. She escaped her safe room and bum-rushed the introduction process, so there was some hissing and posturing, but by the end of the second day she walked like she owned the place, and older kitten (Vanta) follows her around everywhere.

But, she will regularly explore the house or seek me out for cuddles, and if he can't find her, he will call for her... which leads to more yowling in the middle of the night until he finds her. Joy... :frown:

I know the yowling is looking for her, because when I put her in front of him he quiets right down, til she hops on the bed and he can't see her and starts up again. I guess I am truly destined to be without sleep until he gets that she's here to stay.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, either way. I'm completely out of ideas at this point, but maybe time will quiet him down.

Attachments

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, he was lonely, so good you got him a friend! Kittens should never be adopted alone, I don't know why some shelters still allow it.

Anyway, I have few suggestions (and sorry if I repeat already mentioned, I haven't gone through the responses with attention, sorry):
- try to keep them awake during a day, whenever you're at home. i wouldn't wake them up directly, but with the sound of the toy etc. That way they will be too tired and sleep through the night, hopefully. I was doing it with my boy and it took him two weeks to adjust to our schedule, and luckily he now mostly sleeps when we do.
- if the older kitten continues to be awake at night, can you maybe set up for him music for cats, or even better, videos for cats (even without the sound)? Check first if he's at the stage when he won't be attacking the monitor but rather quietly watching it :)
- now that you have two kittens, you can close them out of your room at night, they have each other after all.
- learn to sleep with the ear plugs.

I truly hope you'll sleep better soon, I know how difficult it is. Good luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congrats on the new kitten! Glad they're getting along well. :catlove:

At night, could you put them both in one kitten-proofed room, so that it would be harder for Vanta to lose sight of Tofu.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I was reading all your posts. I’m happy/relieved you got him a buddy! I would try ear plugs and a nice noisy fan (& maybe locking the two kittens out of your room at night.) play with them and feed them in the living room so they learn that bedroom are for sleeping.

Honestly I have no idea why the shelter didn’t take one look at ‘grad student’ and then steer you towards a nice calm adult kitty that would be less of hassle/problem. Kittens like babies/toddlers/little kids are cute but annoying!

:goodluck:

mangojuusu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your replies! He still meows for her at night but it's more subdued, and wow, having two kittens is waaaay easier than having one. He was such a needy handful when I first got him, I had been scared getting a second would be double the work, so I dragged my feet on it... should've got 2 from the start like I'd planned. :rolleyes:

I'll probably introduce the idea of them being by themselves at night soon, they had so much fun last night they barely popped in my room so I think it'll be fine. I slept 8 hours last night! And both kitties are happy.

Again, thanks so much for helping out with my kitten craziness! You've all been a lot of help! :thanks: