Kitten won’t use scratch post!!

Mbowers3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 month old kitten who WILL NOT use his 2 scratch pads. I have tried Feliscrach, catnip spray, moving them to different spots in the room, scratching it myself to show him, etc. He continuously either scratches the carpet, side of my recliner, or the side of my bed. It’s beginning to get frustrating because I’m not sure what to do about it and I know that he is unaware of what he is supposed to do. He isn’t around any other cats and was fostered at a young age so he hasn’t really been shown what to do I guess. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of scratching posts are you using? Cats can be pretty picky about what they like to scratch. Try scratchers made of different materials and positions (vertical, horizontal, angled, etc). Since he likes to scratch carpet, try a carpeted horizontal scratching post. Use doubled sided tape on the surfaces you don't want the cat to scratch and give a firm NO when you do catch the cat scratching something inappropriate. Have patience, too. Kittens have no manners and it takes time for them to learn what's acceptable behavior and what's not.

Some TCS articles that may help:

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, I'd try more and different scratchers. Look at what your kitten is scratching. . .is it vertical, horizontal? what type of surface? And then try to mimic that.

My two won't touch the cardboard scratchers (sadly since those are cheaper), but they like the tall post kind with sisal rope.

One kitten loves to scratch my wool/jute rug (which I don't want her to), so I found her a doormat size rug with the same material and set that up near another scratch post. . .then I sprayed both with catnip spray and praise and encourage her to scratch there. When I see her scratch the big rug I say "no" and show her her scratch area. You can get double sided tape to discourage scratching on the surfaces you want to save and then provide lots of alternatives. ALso they usually like to scratch when they wake up, so having something near their napping spots helps.

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Once they scratch something, it leaves their scent and they are attracted to it more. . . so try to clean/cover the spots you don't want scratched anymore and encourage the places you do. . .JAckson Galaxy says always replace a NO with a YES. So don't just tell them what not to do, but have a good alternative to show/give them.

My older kitten still sometimes scratches the rug, but it's gotten less and less. The younger has always only scratched the posts, probably because I was already training to first to do so and he followed along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mbowers3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What kind of scratching posts are you using? Cats can be pretty picky about what they like to scratch. Try scratchers made of different materials and positions (vertical, horizontal, angled, etc). Since he likes to scratch carpet, try a carpeted horizontal scratching post. Use doubled sided tape on the surfaces you don't want the cat to scratch and give a firm NO when you do catch the cat scratching something inappropriate. Have patience, too. Kittens have no manners and it takes time for them to learn what's acceptable behavior and what's not.

Some TCS articles that may help:

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
I have one that is diagonal and one that's cardboard. I really appreciate your advice! This my first experience even being around a cat so it's definitely a learning process. I just went to Petco today and picked up a scratch post with both carpet and sisal rope on it. He was scratching at it before I could even take the tag off of it! I guess you're right, he's just picky!

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mbowers3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once they scratch something, it leaves their scent and they are attracted to it more. . . so try to clean/cover the spots you don't want scratched anymore and encourage the places you do. . .JAckson Galaxy says always replace a NO with a YES. So don't just tell them what not to do, but have a good alternative to show/give them.

My older kitten still sometimes scratches the rug, but it's gotten less and less. The younger has always only scratched the posts, probably because I was already training to first to do so and he followed along.

Thank you so much, this is great! I have one scratch post that is diagonal (carpet material) and one that is cardboard. I'm so sad that he doesn't like them! I just picked up a scratch post from Petco today that is half carpet, half sisal rope and he LOVES it. He honestly will not get away from it (rolling around on it, scratching it, biting it, sleeping on it, etc.). I really like your advice on replacing a "no" with a "yes". I can totally see how beneficial that would be and I am definitely going to start doing it with him!

I appreciate your help!

lucicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, this is great! I have one scratch post that is diagonal (carpet material) and one that is cardboard. I'm so sad that he doesn't like them! I just picked up a scratch post from Petco today that is half carpet, half sisal rope and he LOVES it. He honestly will not get away from it (rolling around on it, scratching it, biting it, sleeping on it, etc.). I really like your advice on replacing a "no" with a "yes". I can totally see how beneficial that would be and I am definitely going to start doing it with him!

I appreciate your help!
Glad it was helpful!! I highly recommend JAckson Galaxy's books or just videos on his youtube channel. You kitten (your avatar right?) is so cute!! <3

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I like this company because after having it for 3 years I bought the bigger one that started to tear after only having it a month. I emailed them and they sent me another. They searched online for the glue they use and could not find it. They told me not to use anything else.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Our fuzzy children can be so picky, welcome to the wonderful world of cats. My boy pretty much only likes one specific companies cardboard scratcher and I have only ever found in at a cat show. Can't find it online for the life of me and he won't accept similar for some reason. Next cat show I am going to be that crazy cat lady buying six of them to stock up.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote 's post is genial! Thank you!

I can only add that my cat loves to scratch the carpet at the entrance to the apartment, to such an extent that he will wake up and run to the door every time we go out. For him, it is like a gift.

I reckon the density of the entrance carpet is higher than all other "scratchable" surfaces, so maybe that is the reason why he loves it of everything else.:rolleyes:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By now, you probably know where his favorite areas are to scratch. You will need to place scratchers at the strategic places where he likes to scratch. I like the example Marie Bayote gave, it shows you some different types of scratchers and where to place them. After observing Missy, she has favorite areas she goes for when entering a room to "scratch". I have placed scratchers at all of those areas, therefore, she goes right for the scratcher and not the end of my sofa. Also, as mentioned before, observe what type of "scratcher material" he likes best. Katy likes the sissal (sp) type of scratcher the best. When company comes over, I move some of the scratchers and when they leave, I put them back. They make cat scratchers so attractive now a days that I do not mind having then out so much. You will still need to keep an eye out because from time to time, he will go for a piece of furniture, but a stern, "no, use your scratcher" should suffice. He'll get the picture.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats that like to scratch rug/carpet also, and I noticed their favorite spots to scratch and put smaller cheapo rugs down in those spots. If people are coming over I can pick them up and put them back down again.
I love those covers that Maria Bayote Maria Bayote put up!! I need to find those.

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
where did you get those large pieces to cover the back of a recliner chair or side of a couch!!!!
I need those...thanks Sheri and Lily

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 5 month old kitten who WILL NOT use his 2 scratch pads. I have tried Feliscrach, catnip spray, moving them to different spots in the room, scratching it myself to show him, etc. He continuously either scratches the carpet, side of my recliner, or the side of my bed. It’s beginning to get frustrating because I’m not sure what to do about it and I know that he is unaware of what he is supposed to do. He isn’t around any other cats and was fostered at a young age so he hasn’t really been shown what to do I guess. Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sweet looking cat of mine Lily

well she was a monster when I adopted her from the shelter
she climbed all my floor length new drapes and tore them
I still have them hanging 4 and half years later can not afford
new sheer drapes...

She then went to scratching the back of my nice recliner and still does
today at almost 5 years old!

She has vertical and cardboard horizontal scratch boards
she prefers the cardboard corrugated flat ones.

She gets played with twice a day with the best toy I ever bought her

The Da Bird...fabulous feathers that sound like a real bird on a wand
some cats just scratch forever!
I would not declaw a kitten or cat...been there and done it and will
not do that again..

Try those covers shown on this post that cover the large part of a couch or recliner
I asked where they bought them I need them too.

I also use a laser toy to exercise Lily so that and the DA Bird are best

to wear them down and get that built up energy out of them..

I take her outside to walk on a nylon halter and leash
and then she gets in her crate in the shade to watch the squirrels and birds
on nice days...for 2 hours per day..

Attachments

sheridragonfly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sweet looking cat of mine Lily

well she was a monster when I adopted her from the shelter
she climbed all my floor length new drapes and tore them
I still have them hanging 4 and half years later can not afford
new sheer drapes...

She then went to scratching the back of my nice recliner and still does
today at almost 5 years old!

She has vertical and cardboard horizontal scratch boards
she prefers the cardboard corrugated flat ones.

She gets played with twice a day with the best toy I ever bought her

The Da Bird...fabulous feathers that sound like a real bird on a wand
some cats just scratch forever!
I would not declaw a kitten or cat...been there and done it and will
not do that again..

Try those covers shown on this post that cover the large part of a couch or recliner
I asked where they bought them I need them too.

I also use a laser toy to exercise Lily so that and the DA Bird are best

to wear them down and get that built up energy out of them..

I take her outside to walk on a nylon halter and leash
and then she gets in her crate in the shade to watch the squirrels and birds
on nice days...for 2 hours per day..

Attachments