Kitten With Urinary Blockage

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom found a kitten around 2 weeks ago that was abandoned by its mother. He was skin and bones but has since doubled in weight due to her diligent feeding. From the start, he had diarrhea, usually with a little blood in it. He has been drastically behind in development compared to the other kittens in the litter (a neighbor took them in, so they're safe now) and was barely opening his eyes at 3 weeks when the other kitties were running around the yard. A week or so ago she took him to the vet who ruled that his tummy troubles were likely due to going an extended amount of time without food before she found him. She was instructed to give goat milk for half his meals instead of kmr to help firm up his poop, and he had 2 days of medication (I'm assuming a dewormer). He was doing great until today. She had to leave the house really quick and came back to discover he had left his basket and crawled under a filing cabinet, likely to die. He was limp with pale gums. The only sign of life was a very faint purr when she lifted him up. She rubbed honey on his gums while she waited until the time the vet accepted walk-ins, and by the time she got there he had perked up enough to lift his head. The vet said he had a urinary blockage and an incredibly full bladder. She pushed on his bladder and tried to manipulate his little boy parts out for investigation, but nothing would budge. Apparently, it took a lot of fussing to get rid of the blockage so he could empty his bladder. She told my mom to switch him over to canned food, and that was the extent of the help she could provide.

Does anyone know why a 4(ish) week old kitten would develop a urinary blockage? He was very well hydrated. Does anyone have any tips for preventing the blockage again or any tips for the diarrhea situation?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On diarrhea a tip is to use a pedialyte based on overcooked white rice.
You take some white rice in much water, boil it twice as long as usual. Take the water and add some minerale kitchen salt to it.
Or use a good minerale water as the salt source.
Use this combo as anti-distrhea pedialyte.

Why he got such a urine stop I have no idea for the moment.
Its not common. sabrinah sabrinah

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On diarrhea a tip is to use a pedialyte based on overcooked white rice.
You take some white rice in much water, boil it twice as long as usual. Take the water and add some minerale kitchen salt to it.
Or use a good minerale water as the salt source.
Use this combo as anti-distrhea pedialyte.

Why he got such a urine stop I have no idea for the moment.
Its not common. sabrinah sabrinah
Thank you so much! I'll let her know to try this!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten may need a round of clavamox antibiotic to cure infection that may have caused the blockage. Ask the vet.

Absolutely stimulate him to pee several times daily. This will help!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She does stimulate him each time. She used a wet cloth at first but his butt got irritated so she switched to running water, which worked just as well.

The vet saw no sign of infection but I'll tell my mom to ask about it when the vet calls today.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, the little guy is doing well from what I hear. He's off the kmr and finishing his last little bit of goat milk mixed with canned. His poops have greatly improved and he hasn't had another blockage yet. He's running around, playing, and using the litter box, though he's still behind where he should be at his age. He's 7-8 weeks now. The bottle picture is from a couple weeks ago, and the other is from today. I wish I could post more pictures but my mom is truly terrible at taking them! I think he has a vet appointment coming up soon for another checkup.

14718.jpeg
15767.jpeg