Kitten with sudden Ataxia

Kmcgown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6-month-old kitten developed sudden ataxia or wobbly/drunken walking yesterday morning. He also had blood in his stool. He’s been a chill, low energy kitten for the last month or two, which worried me but I thought I was being paranoid. He is still eating wet food. However since yesterday his coordination seems to slowly getting worse- he can no longer navigate the stairs. Waiting for the vet to call with blood work results but I am just a mess right now. We lost two cats to cancer and kidney failure last year and I am scared I am losing another furry family member.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Ataxia has many causes; from the time frame of your post, I assume that you already brought the kitten in for bloodwork? Did the vet offer any explanation at that point? You are doing the best thing for the kitten to have been proactive about seeking vet care.

The blood in the stool can also be from various causes, some not always serious, not necessarily related to ataxia.

Please let us know what the bloodwork shows and try to calm down as much as possible so that you can have a good discussion with the vet when he calls. If you are googling ataxia, stop now. It generally means an issue in the nervous system any where in the body and you will just be left with a bunch of possibilities which are inconclusive until you know something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kmcgown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet called me back and said bloodwork was mostly normal but she is worried now that he has FIP. Now I am trying to coordinate with local rescues that have successfully treated it in the past. I am also going to try to schedule an appointment with a neurologist this week. It’s tough watching a kitten go from healthy to barely walking in 48 hours. I appreciate your response.