Kitten with sore gums and bad teeth

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten Giada, 6 months, started teething about a month ago and I thought everything was going fine. She had some sore gums and bad breath. I reported it in my previous thread and also told the vet when she was vaccined two weeks ago, and I was reassured that all of this was normal during teething.

On Friday she wouldn't eat, just a few bits of food during the day. On Saturday she still wasn't eating, in the early afternoon I checked her mouth to see if some tooth was bothering her and saw a moving tooth (a molar, or a premolar) and a tiny drop of blood from the gum, so I put her in the carrier and rushed her to the vet. I thought it was just a minor thing, I just wanted to hear it from the vets.
Well, when we were at the clinic the moving tooth had disappeared, likely swallowed. The vet told me it was an adult tooth and asked me if the kitten crashed into something.
What I know is that Giada usually falls from high surfaces, but I think it's just because she's impetuous.

Anyway, the vet checked Giada's mouth, and saw these reddish gums and above all, the teeth didn't look good, the vet said they are stained, not bright white as they should be, and her canines have fissures, vertical lines, meaning that the kitten might have a lack of calcium, or a genetic condition, or a malnutrition in her infant days. The vet said that it is likely that Giada cold lose all her teeth soon.
What the vet told me is that Giada might need a bone densitometry test. Meanwhile she's been given a supplement for her bowel and a soothing gel for her gums.

The photo attached is from last night, yesterday. The gums are sore, the canine shows some vertical lines, and there's a gap in the rear teeth where the moving tooth was.

Does anybody have experience with this issue?
How common is a lack of calcium in a kitten body?

Giada Teeth.jpg

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks like gingivitis to me. Could it be calicivirus? One of mine had gums that looked like that at 5 months and had bad breath, like you I thought it was down to teething. She had all the tests and they came back negative so we didnt find the cause. She 4.5 yo now, the gums are no worse and dont bother her. She has the same vertical lines but so do my other cats and according to my vet its normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been vaccined for RCP and FeLV 12 days ago, she had a fever for a couple of days after that.

She hasn't eaten yet, but had two very soft poop since 7 am this morning. Where does this poop come from if she isn't eating?
I called the clinic a few minutes ago, they told me to take Giada in at 5 pm today.

It's not good to me.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know how much you worry about your cats Antonio but wait and see what the vet has to say. Ask about Calici. Please let is know how you get on. Good luck.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start her on some oral water additive, it helps to kill bacteria in the mouth. I get mine on amazon and it helped to whiten up my cat's teeth. It is called Oxyfresh water additive. I have been giving it for years and it works.
At 5-6 months it is normal to have sore gums from teething. The vertical lines in canine teeth are actually normal. I'm surprised your vet didn't know this. It is part of the structure of the tooth to help hold prey. They are seen because since they are indented, they tend to discolor from food and bacteria. The missing molar may be simply a baby tooth dislodging to make room for the permanent tooth. They lose all 26 baby teeth and replace them with 30 new ones. I don't know, the kitten not eating bothers me, it could be caused by the vaccinations, but that was quite a while ago. Weeks, not days. I would definitely offer wet, soft foods, and chew toys made of harder substances such as safe rubber made for cats. They also have them on Amazon. I really think I would see another vet too if she doesn't improve in a couple of days. All the luck, Antonio, I pray it is not as serious as you think. I truly believe a different vet might be needed.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start her on some oral water additive, it helps to kill bacteria in the mouth. I get mine on amazon and it helped to whiten up my cat's teeth. It is called Oxyfresh water additive. I have been giving it for years and it works.
She drinks very little, because I add lot of extra water in her wet food. Could I add this Oxyfresh to her food?

The vertical lines in canine teeth are actually normal. I'm surprised your vet didn't know this. It is part of the structure of the tooth to help hold prey. They are seen because since they are indebted, they tend to discolor from food and bacteria.
This is exactly what I thought, I remember my previous cats and if my memory doesn't fail me they had those lines too.
This vet was new to me, I never saw her before Saturday. What worries me a bit is that she'll be in at my appointment later...

The missing molar may be simply a baby tooth dislodging to make room for the permanent tooth. They lose all 26 baby teeth and replace them with 30 new ones.
This was another of my thoughts, that she had lost a baby tooth, but that vet on Saturday seemed adamant and very sure of what she was saying.
In fairness, I didn't trust that vet too much, it was my first visit with her (it's a clinic, and on Saturday afternoon there are doctors that aren't usually there), I didn't know her, she didn't know me. And this showed in what she would tell me, she was talking to me as I was a naive cat parent, rather than a cat parent that had been through too much.

I don't know, the kitten not eating bothers me, it could be caused by the vaccinations, but that was quite a while ago. Weeks, not days. I would definitely offer wet, soft foods, and chew toys made of harder substances such as safe rubber made for cats. they also have them on Amazon. I really think I would see another vet too if she doesn't improve in a couple of days. All the luck!
Not eating is what worries me more. She was fine till Thursday night, that was 8 days post vaccine. On Friday she was a bit off, but I thought she was just a little more tired, on Saturday I was worried and rushed her to the clinic.
On Saturday night she even ate some dry food, yesterday (Sunday) only some wet food, and started with softer poop. This morning she had a discharge of very soft poop, and again a couple of hours later. I'm at work now, my wife called me to say kitten's been sleeping all day. So I called the clinic and got an appointment.
I'll be there in 3 hours time.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me it sounds like her immune system got a bit down lately. My adult Hima who also has dental issues always gets a dental flare-up when she's stressed (like after a vet visit) and when another health issue is going on like she was hospitalized last year with infection.

My cousin's younger cat has gingivitis since he was a kitten. He got dental infection twice that got treated with antibiotics before he was 1 year old. He's 1,5 years old and and no problem since. Not worse at least. Gingivitis is common among cats and genes are believed to be a reason.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a hindsight, I had a look at some old photos of this kitten's mouth, a month ago, and her gums were sore already. So it is possible that she has some issue that hasn't been addressed properly.
I have the appointment in an hour time.

We'll have her tested again.
I'll let you know later.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi V verna davies , the visit went rather fine. There was a different doctor. He said the lost tooth was a milk tooth and the adult one is already pushing its way out. The fissures in the canines are normal, like di and bob di and bob said. He asked me who the vet on Saturday was...

Giada's gums are sore. It is normal with teething, but according to the doctor it might likely be calicivirus like you said. To be sure, he took a sample with a swab and sent it for a PCR test for all three viruses, the result will come in a week time.

He also took some blood and the CBC was good.
He said to continue with the probiotic and gum gel. He also advised me to feed the cat with gastrointestinal wet food for a few days.
According to him, the vaccine triggered some bowel issues. The calicivirus might be there since before I rescued her, and it could keep her company for the rest of her life.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you went and got a different vet. I hope you feel a little better. I would get the oxifresh additive and just put it in her water. I think it wouldn't work as well in food. Maybe set several bowls around so she will check them out and maybe drink. (or pretend it's your water and she will for sure want some) you might want to check out the water additives and see if there is something for calicivirus. You have such a good heart, I wish you all well!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thats really good news, you must be relieved, this vets sounds far more knowledgeable. It's frustrating having to wait for test results but lets hope they all come back negative and once she's finished teething her guns settle down. Thanks for updating us.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you went and got a different vet. I hope you feel a little better. I would get the oxifresh additive and just put it in her water. I think it wouldn't work as well in food. Maybe set several bowls around so she will check them out and maybe drink. (or pretend it's your water and she will for sure want some) you might want to check out the water additives and see if there is something for calicivirus. You have such a good heart, I wish you all well!
I found the Oxyfresh on Amazon Italy. It could be a nice idea to add it to her water, but, as I told you, I'm rather sure she rarely drinks. I change the water in her bowl daily, and what I throw away is the same amount I put the day before.
Is this Oxyfresh something like the colloidal silver? With Lola I was advised to use the colloidal silver in a spray bottle, directly in her mouth, when she had an inflammation at the back of her mouth.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to ask a dumb question but are you SURE she is 6 months and not older?

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the Oxyfresh on Amazon Italy. It could be a nice idea to add it to her water, but, as I told you, I'm rather sure she rarely drinks. I change the water in her bowl daily, and what I throw away is the same amount I put the day before.
Is this Oxyfresh something like the colloidal silver? With Lola I was advised to use the colloidal silver in a spray bottle, directly in her mouth, when she had an inflammation at the back of her mouth.
You can also add it to the food to. So mix it with the required water and add it to the wet food. (Well at least you can for the bluestem one).

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to ask a dumb question but are you SURE she is 6 months and not older?
I'm rather sure.
At first I thought she was born mid September, but then, considering her weight and then the teething, I moved her birth date back by about three weeks, to August 25. The vets agreed.
Why are you asking? Do you see any clue I'm missing?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also add it to the food to. So mix it with the required water and add it to the wet food. (Well at least you can for the bluestem one).
I looked for the Bluestem additive on Amazon Italy. It isn't available and has a lower review rating.

If the colloidal silver is the same, I could try.

Her poop is getting softer and softer, despite the probiotics and colostrum, and the new gastrointestinal wet food suggested by the vet yesterday.
She's a bit quieter than her usual. If she's still the same on Thursday, I will take her back to the clinic.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just making sure you didn't find a small sized cat and assumed. It happens sometimes. I don't mean to question it just wanted to be sure ;)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just making sure you didn't find a small sized cat and assumed. It happens sometimes. I don't mean to question it just wanted to be sure ;)
She was with her three siblings and they were all same size, more or less, so I think my guess on her age should be right. They were all still with their mother (trapped and spayed two days later).
All the other siblings have been adopted out, three different families, three different vets and as far as I know, none of them objected about the birth date ;)