Kitten with once infected leg, has problems walking. What to do?

KittyCam

Stray cats and pet cats handler
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Autumn had kittens. So exciting! They are 3 weeks old and I noticed something. Our biggest orange kitten had a big and red lump on its leg. He was practically dragging it around. We decided to do what we can and see if it heals. (Can not afford vet sadly :(.) It has got smaller and did scab. We thought that was a good sign, but the kitten continued to have problems walking. I can not post a picture at that moment because if I move him from his milking spot, the other kittens will proceed to take it. Will post later. Any suggestions?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten needs to be seen by a vet. It may be that there is an infection that requires antibiotics to heal, rather than hoping the situation resolves itself. It does not sound like it will since the kitten is having difficulty walking.

Try calling a local cat shelter or rescue to see if they can help you with the kitten’s leg and with spaying mom cat once this litter weans.

It’s not fair to allow your cat to have more kittens if you cannot afford vet care, but local clinics may offer low-cost spaying.

KittyCam KittyCam

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Follow to my above post: can you post a picture of the kitten’s leg?

It sounds like the kitten may have been accidentally bitten. Bacteria in mouths can easily cause infection. If not treated, the kitten might go septic and lose its leg without treatment. The fact the kitten is struggling to walk indicates it needs meds to get better and may be in pain.

Please try calling around to get free help or ask for a payment plan. An office visit and meds is usually less than $100.

Please let us know how the kitten is today and what progress you make getting help.

KittyCam KittyCam

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittens when having an issue especially need to see the vet. They have more trouble fighting off infections. If he has trouble walking it could effect him his whole life and cause other issues.

Depending on where you live, there might be access to free or low cost vet care.

If not, I'd call around to some rescues, and see if someone can intake the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyCam

Kitten
Purraise
My cat Autumn had kittens. So exciting! They are 3 weeks old and I noticed something. Our biggest orange kitten had a big and red lump on its leg. He was practically dragging it around. We decided to do what we can and see if it heals. (Can not afford vet sadly :(.) It has got smaller and did scab. We thought that was a good sign, but the kitten continued to have problems walking. I can not post a picture at that moment because if I move him from his milking spot, the other kittens will proceed to take it. Will post later. Any suggestions?

Picture is now attatched

Attachments

KittyCam

Kitten
Purraise
Follow to my above post: can you post a picture of the kitten’s leg?

It sounds like the kitten may have been accidentally bitten. Bacteria in mouths can easily cause infection. If not treated, the kitten might go septic and lose its leg without treatment. The fact the kitten is struggling to walk indicates it needs meds to get better and may be in pain.

Please try calling around to get free help or ask for a payment plan. An office visit and meds is usually less than $100.

Please let us know how the kitten is today and what progress you make getting help.

KittyCam KittyCam
Posted the picture accidentally 2 times, but its is there. Will try looking around for inexpensive places.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Posted the picture accidentally 2 times, but its is there. Will try looking around for inexpensive places.
Do you have family or friends who would be willing to loan you some cash? Since this kitten is so young and is vulnerable, getting it looked at would be the best choice IMO. He's also still growing and you don't want this to cause problems. I *love* yellow cats, btw!!! I bet he's the cutest little thing. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That leg needs medical attention. What’s your city and state and I’ll help you look for help?

KittyCam KittyCam

KittyCam

Kitten
Purraise
Kitten has been taken to the vet and recovered. Sorry I did not update earlier. We did not even want Autumn to have kittens, but she went missing because she got out through a window. It was a week until we found her and she was pregnant. We do tend to have kittens a lot because one of my family members is a garbage man and many people throw out kittens these days. We always take them to give them a chance. We actually took 4 other animals to the vet as well seperatly. The orange one farthest to the left is the one.
Snapchat-955745163.jpg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kitten has been taken to the vet and recovered. Sorry I did not update earlier. We did not even want Autumn to have kittens, but she went missing because she got out through a window. It was a week until we found her and she was pregnant. We do tend to have kittens a lot because one of my family members is a garbage man and many people throw out kittens these days. We always take them to give them a chance. We actually took 4 other animals to the vet as well seperatly. The orange one farthest to the left is the one. View attachment 453257
What a sweet photo ❤ I'm glad he's doing so much better! And whoever your family member is, bless them (and you) for helping the throw-aways, people can be so heartless.