Kitten with mouth sores

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
At the rescue where I volunteer, three kittens were surrendered today, maybe one month old. We were told that the mother and one kitten had died, they did not know why as they seemed healthy before they passed. The kittens have a bad, maybe rotten odor, and one has mouth sores. They have been to the vet, but no one knows why the one kitten has mouth sores. They are alert, sweet and purring, I held one for 30 minutes today. They were raised in a chicken yard.

Does anyone have a thought on what the mouth sores and the bad odor mean?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response and also for the link. Mouth sores is what it was described as to me, but really, the sores are outside and around the mouth. Two are on the chin, about .25 inches from the mouth. Not on the lips or other areas mentioned in the calcivirus link. But it a possibility, and I will mention it tomorrow. Thanks again!

I mentioned that they had a bad odor. I should have mentioned that they still had the odor after they were bathed.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF the rescue is willing to try it, you might bathe the sores with chilled chamomile tea. Yes, you've heard this before from me. Use the tea bags from the grocery store, unblended. Brew a cup, chill it, and swab the sores several times a day. The tea is soothing, and is both antibacterial and antifungal. It won't help with a virus at all, though. HOWEVER, it will soothe the sores and make the poor little mite more comfortable. Because it is safe for internal use for stress, the small amount the kitten might lick off will be perfectly safe.

I always recommend commercial tea bags because they are 100% German chamomile, which is medicinally active and safe for cats. The English variety which grow in most gardens (and looks almost identical to the German variety) is pretty useless medicianally, and is TOXIC to cats.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Was the mother being fed or was she fending for herself? Some of my feral rescues had a pretty bad smell because of their poor diet. If the mother was just surviving on what she could find that might be why the kittens smell bad.

Could the sores be infected scratches?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank-you all for your ideas. I will suggest what I can to the person who is caring for these kittens.

you might bathe the sores with chilled chamomile tea.
I will certainly suggest it.

Feline acne, or allergy?
My boy had awful breath when he was teething, and it's a 'thing'.
The kittens are at teething age, but the odor is all over them. Acne and allergies are possible.

Stress can trigger sores as well. Are you using any calming agents such as Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers?
I believe the person caring for the cats uses Feliway. It could certainly be a stress problem, or at least exacerbated by stress.

Was the mother being fed or was she fending for herself? Some of my feral rescues had a pretty bad smell because of their poor diet. If the mother was just surviving on what she could find that might be why the kittens smell bad.

Could the sores be infected scratches?
The mother was fending for herself. It could certainly be bad food that killed the mother and the kitten and caused the smell on the kittens I saw. I will suggest it.

I did not see any indication of a scratch, though I did not get to examine that kitten closely.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten may also simply need a round of antibiotics to clear any internal intestinal bacteria or external bacteria. It’s worth a try.