Kitten with lice

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

I took in a stray kitten, approximately seven weeks old, on Monday night who was extremely lethargic and riddled with cat lice. He’s a black kitten and the first thing I noticed when I picked him up was and that he was covered in what appeared to be dandruff, until I saw it moving. 🤢 Wasn’t fleas. I thought mites at first.

Got him on fluids that night & a heating pad and then straight into the vet the next morning. Vet said he was infested with feline lice. Even though he was underweight the vet recommended Revolution for the lice. I was hesitant because this kitten is just shy of 2 lbs but they said the only other option was lime sulfur dips two times a week for two weeks… Plus the revolution will take care of any worms, ear mites, etc.

I use Revolution on my other animals so I’m very comfortable with the product but I was so concerned with his young age, weight and debilitated condition. But I felt like it was a better option than the lime sulfur dips as those require him to stay wet until he dries naturally with no licking.

He is doing wonderful now. All the live lice we’re dead within the first 24 hours. He did pass worms in his stool for a couple days after being treated with Revolution. No bad side effects thus far. He is also being treated for a URI. He has made a complete turnaround since Monday.

However, the lice eggs are still very visible on his Fur. I’ve gone through with a clean mascara brush and a nit comb each day but I can’t seem to remove them all. I’ve tried adding a little bit of coconut oil, but boy are these things sticky.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get the rest of these eggs off? It is my understanding that Revolution stops the development of the eggs as well. Is that correct? I was advised to give him a bath with dawn dish soap, and combed while in the bath…which I did and he was dried thoroughly and put back on a heating pad afterwards. Still covered in eggs.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don’t wanna stress him out with handling him too much while he recovers. Thoughts? Thanks so much everyone!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Lice?

Thank you so much for helping this kitten. The above TCS article might help to answer some of your questions. As to your specific one about Revolution killing eggs, I am not at all sure that it does. In the case that this requires more treatments, check with your vet as to safety in a cat so young. Plus, if it does not kill eggs, or does not kill them in an initial dose, another strategy needs to be mapped out.

Lucky kitten that you came upon him and changed the course of his life.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, yes I did read that article prior to posting I just wasn’t sure if there was additional information elsewhere. And yes I do plan on keeping him on a monthly regimen of revolution as that is the protocol I use with my other house animals.

Also, yes he is eating really well now, thanks for asking ❤ Feeding Instinct kitten wet and dry formulas. Dry offered freely and wet feeding 4x’s per day in small meals because he would eat so quickly that he would get bloated. Had to get some infant gas drops for him. I think he was worried he wouldn’t have food again so he tried to gobble it all up in one sitting. (The wet, not the dry)

The first 24 hours I was feeding him with a syringe because he was so weak and lethargic. The following morning, within a couple hours of his first dose of antibiotics and applying the Revolution he perked up. He was still weak on day 2 but at least eating on his own at that point. Very tired and sleeping a lot. Day 3 he was like a brand new kitten! Jumping around, playing with everything, “hunting” my toes and fingers lol. Also by the 2nd day of antibiotics there was no more goop in his eyes!

He is currently confined to a large kennel in another room on quarantine as I have other cats & dogs. But he’s very curious when he hears them outside the door. A huge difference from the first night when he just laid there unfazed by anything.

I think you’ll want to read this article:

What is the best course of treatment for lice on kittens? - University of Wisconsin Madison Shelter Medicine Program

Bottom line is re-treatment, combing out what you can, and maybe a lime dip once or twice.

It sounds like you’ve already come a long way with getting this little guy back on his feet. Thank you so much!

Is he eating well?
I think you’ll want to read this article:

What is the best course of treatment for lice on kittens? - University of Wisconsin Madison Shelter Medicine Program

Bottom line is re-treatment, combing out what you can, and maybe a lime dip once or twice.

It sounds like you’ve already come a long way with getting this little guy back on his feet. Thank you so much!

Is he eating well?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read that no treatment is very effective against the eggs. The cycle from hatching to adult lice is 3-4 weeks so it is recommended to repeat treatments every 2 weeks. As long as your kitten is getting stronger that shouldn't be a problem. After the 1st treatment if there are still eggs present 3-4 weeks after the treatment there should be a repeat, then every two weeks until gone. I take it the eggs fall off if they are dead. (?)
Bless you, for saving that tiny one, you are an angel.....