Kitten With Irritated Bottom

Laurengolightly

Barefoot Furbabies rescue
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3/4 week old kitten that has a really irritated bottom. She screams when you try to clean her up and I hate causing her pain. I’ve been using a mix of desitin and aquaphor but it doesn’t seem to be helping. She is going number two about 6 times a day, it started as completely yellow liquid and now has hardened up a bit. Any advice on what I can do to help relieve this problem? She’s a healthy girl except for her bottom issues.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Thank you for being alert to her distress! What are you using to cleanse her with? One of the most common culprits is baby wipes, even unscented. At this point, taking her to the sink and lightly using warm water and your fingers is the gentlest approach. Follow with very light dabbing with cotton cosmetic ovals, let air dry, dab on a thin film of cornstarch and then apply a thin layer of neosporin, plain vaseline or coconut oil. You can also brew up a little slippery elm or marshmallow root decoction and apply the liquid (be sure to strain very thoroughly so it's as pure as water, with no residual particles) let dry, then put on the protective coating.
I am going to tag Sarthur2 Sarthur2 regarding the diarrhea.
I would add 50/50 unflavored pedialyte to her regimen even though her face looks plump and well hydrated. You can also boil some well rinsed white rice with lots of water (I simmer for about an hour) and add rice water to her formula, to help solidify her stool.
What food are you giving her? I have had kittens who simply do not do well with whey based kitten milk replacer and so I typically use goat-milk based kmr using the recipe at www.kitten-rescue. com if they still have problems with PetAg's Goat-A-Lac. I like Breeder's Edge, which is very pricey, but it has whey and for my preemie Tilly (my first successful rescue of a preemie who was delivered randomly on a lawn and had zero maternal interaction), any whey causes havoc with her tiny gut. Benebac Plus in addition to acidophilus added to her formula seemed to give rapid improvement in a couple of days.
Your little treasure is very beautiful - what a sweet picture :heartshape::happycat:
Please keep us updated!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laurengolightly

Kitten
Purraise
:alright: Thank you for being alert to her distress! What are you using to cleanse her with? One of the most common culprits is baby wipes, even unscented. At this point, taking her to the sink and lightly using warm water and your fingers is the gentlest approach. Follow with very light dabbing with cotton cosmetic ovals, let air dry, dab on a thin film of cornstarch and then apply a thin layer of neosporin, plain vaseline or coconut oil. You can also brew up a little slippery elm or marshmallow root decoction and apply the liquid (be sure to strain very thoroughly so it's as pure as water, with no residual particles) let dry, then put on the protective coating.
I am going to tag Sarthur2 Sarthur2 regarding the diarrhea.
I would add 50/50 unflavored pedialyte to her regimen even though her face looks plump and well hydrated. You can also boil some well rinsed white rice with lots of water (I simmer for about an hour) and add rice water to her formula, to help solidify her stool.
What food are you giving her? I have had kittens who simply do not do well with whey based kitten milk replacer and so I typically use goat-milk based kmr using the recipe at www.kitten-rescue. com if they still have problems with PetAg's Goat-A-Lac. I like Breeder's Edge, which is very pricey, but it has whey and for my preemie Tilly (my first successful rescue of a preemie who was delivered randomly on a lawn and had zero maternal interaction), any whey causes havoc with her tiny gut. Benebac Plus in addition to acidophilus added to her formula seemed to give rapid improvement in a couple of days.
Your little treasure is very beautiful - what a sweet picture :heartshape::happycat:
Please keep us updated!!
She is

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: Hello there! How is the little one's "caboose" doing today?
I came across an article from a dog breeder's website that discusses the common treatments for coccidia and giardia. I am looking forward to discussing some of the new options with my vet - she has already approved my dosing kitties with coconut oil (I use cold pressed, virgin, organic, sustainably farmed - I eat it, myself, when I am having IBS flare-up) and we usually use metriazole. I thought that maybe you would appreciate reading it as well.
Kill Giardia And Coccidia. :einstein:

esco98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty had the same problem when I got him and it ended up being a mix of things that I don’t remember (was a while ago) but the vet came to the conclusion it was mostly bc of a grain allergy.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens I fostered had that problem too. I mixed together some lanolin (found in the baby aisle), some vitamin E oil (the synthetic clear kind found in the lotions and face cream aisle in most drugstores. I use this kind because it's nice and thick and sticky.) and some antibacterial ointment. I mixed all three and put in an empty travel lip gloss container and applied to the kitten's red swollen rectum with a q-tip. Reapply after every bowel movement after you clean it. It is a very soothing and healing salve.

Has she been to see the vet for the yellow runny poo? That's not normal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laurengolightly

Kitten
Purraise
I’ve made the homemade formula and used the corn starch mixture also used coconut oil, the diarrheais gone but the redness is still on her bottom and stomach, it’s also starting to move down the inside of her back legs. We are going to the vet tomorrow but the last time I took a bottle baby in they told me there is nothing that can be done until they are older, which really upset me

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm, redness spreading ... it could be a rash. You could try applying plain, unflavored yogurt to the irritated areas and increase the probiotics in her formula. If you have a slippery elm decoction, you can use it as a wash followed by air drying and then the yogurt. If you don't have slippery elm, you can try a weak vinegar wash (1-2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of bottled or distilled warm water). I am sorry for both of you that she is going through this - my poor Tilly and I battled this (my disabled daughter did as well, during this past year of diarrhea and vomiting, when she lost over 80 lbs - none of the numerous ointments and creams worked better than a vinegar wash followed by a thin cornstarch layer and then a thin barrier film). With Tilly, she did better after she got Benebac Plus ( and red raspberry leaf and lemon balm teas).
Please keep us updated on what the vet says!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like strep. It’s a fungal rash much like strep throat but on the bottom and can spread. My daughter had it as a baby. It’s painful! Buy a tube of Monistat at the drugstore. I’ll wager that 3-5 days of applying it generously several times a day may cure it. That or ask the vet for a tube of Nystatin. That may work too!

Laurengolightly Laurengolightly