Kitten with Intermittent Diarrhea

kittyblues1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat lovers!

Posted here a few times with questions and everyone was super helpful and kind, thought I would pick some veteran cat parents brain again regarding a new-ish issue with my kitten.

My Ragdoll kitten is now 6.5 months old, last weighed in at 7 pounds a week ago. She seems to be healthy other than her intermittent diarrhea. I've read the Ragdolls are known to have a more sensitive stomach, is this just that?

Timeline:

December 5th PM - noticed her stool was a little mushy. Thought nothing of it since she was still acting normal.
December 6th all day - pooped twice, each time was still mushy (toothpaste consistency), color was light tan (not her normal color). Decided to monitor
December 7th AM - her poop turned more liquidy - took her to the vet who gave instructions on a bland diet + probiotics.
December 8th - poop consistency is now solid, but color is still off.
December 9th - poop consistency + color back to normal, started to slowly transition her to her regular meals. Three days later, she was fully back on her regular food and all is well.

Now, tonight on December 15th - she had normal poop in the AM, but then she went again in the evening and it was back to mushy/light tan poop. I didn't change anything in her diet/routine since transitioning her back to her wet food. I am also still feeding the probiotics from the vet.

Anybody have experience with their kitten having intermittent diarrhea/soft stool? These are a few things to note, questions in bold:
1. Her diarrhea stinks really really bad. She has been tested for Parasites (incl Giardia) THREE times within the span of 3 months and all came back negative. Should I ask to test for other less common parasites? If so, what less common parasites could produce these symptoms?

2. The frequency of her poops did not increase. She still goes two times a day which is normal, just the stool itself is not normal and the smell is god-awful.

3. The first bout of diarrhea this month occurred right after my sister came to my place with her dog. This is my kitten's third time meeting the dog, and the interaction was pleasant. The dog did not chase my kitten, if anything, the kitten was the one who was bothering the dog non-stop. Also, 4 days ago, my other friend brought her dog to my place as well. Same sort of interaction, my kitten was bothering the dog non-stop and the dog was just sitting on the sofa, no chasing, no hissing, no outward signs of stress. My kitten even laid with her belly up and fell asleep in front of the dog. Do you guys think there might be a correlation with a dog coming over and her getting diarrhea? It seems unlikely to me, especially how this bout of diarrhea happened 4 days after the dog came over, unless it was super late onset stress?

4. As for her history with diarrhea, she had diarrhea on her second night when I brought her home. It was only one bout of diarrhea and I attributed it to stress moving to a new place. It went away after one day. A month after I brought her home, she had diarrhea again (completely liquid). An hour before her diarrhea back then, I noticed her eating something off the ground and attributed it to that. She also went to the bathroom 5 times in one night, which seems more consistent with a typical "upset stomach" after eating something bad. Took her to the vet, and stool sample, etc was negative. Resolved itself in 3 days and she had NO more diarrhea for 2 months until beginning of December.

5. I am feeding her what the breeder always fed her, which is Whole Earth Farms Kitten Wet Food and Kibbles (Chicken). I feed her around 300-340 calories a day. Vet says her calorie intake should range between 200-400 calories and from the charts I see online, a kitten her weight should be getting 400+ calories a day. She can't finish her food when I try to feed her more than 300-340 calories a day, and she is gaining weight so I am assuming this is OK. I am also feeding 90% wet food, and sprinkle some kibbles on top. Could this be food intolerance or am I overfeeding?

I have a check-in appointment with the vet in 3 days anyways, so will get her looked at then if things don't get worse. Last time I was at the vet, she recommended an ultrasound if this persists. Any advice or anything that jumps up as a possible cause would be greatly appreciated!! Sorry in advance for the wall of text, just wanted to ensure I had as many details as possible!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be an ingredient in the food that is upsetting her, many cats are allergic to chicken. Try giving her a different protein. I have a lot of success with s boulardii, it has stopped my cats diarrhea in a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyblues1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice Verna! I'll look into S boulardii

I was thinking that as well.. however the bland diet she was put on by the vet was also chicken and she did fine on that... does food allergy typically occur as intermittent? I was under the impression that as long as she's exposed to the allergen she'd have constant diarrhea.

MarleneR

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be the food. My cat Akira of 1 year has a sensitive stomach and cant tolarate certain foods. at frist he's fine but after a few meals his stool gets loose. i spent monthes looking for new foods he could try. His stomavh issue was because he was abandoned at 1 week so he didnt get breast feed.

kittyblues1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all! Seeing the vet in two days as she's still BAR. I'll bring up the food allergy concerns + the pathogens listed on the zoologix website to see if the vets can run the same tests for me.

She pooped again last night. It was more well formed, but still mushier than normal. Fingers crossed it doesn't get worse before I take her to the vet.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Same thing happened to my 8-month old boy, who has a sensitive stomach. He had loose poops after I adopted him two months ago. And his poop stinks! I took him to the vet and got probiotics. The medicine made him upset and it didn't help, so I stopped it (he's otherwise very energetic and gaining weight). After I stopped the probiotic, his poops actually slightly improved overtime.
At the very same period, I started to gradually switch their food to a combination of very high quality canned food and some raw food (just a tiny bit of kibbles to get him through the night and now I used a raw meat jerky to replace it), because I read about the negative things on the additives in the kibbles. The switch of diet fixed the problem completely.
Since then, I only came across loose stool twice, when I tried to introduce a big amount of new protein to his diet.
Now I give him several types of proteins and sometimes switch things up, and never came cross an issue. I have no proof but somehow I think he might be allergic to certain ingredient (not just the protein) in certain brand.
I think it definitely worth trying out different protein and brands to see if it helps.

kittyblues1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice everyone!

I took her to the vet, and vet says she looks good overall. We also ran a blood panel a couple of weeks ago and everything came back normal.
Since her second bout of diarrhea only lasted less than 24 hours and resolved itself with no medication/bland diet, vet was fine with not running anymore tests. She hypothesized that maybe since she's still a kitten she might have eaten random remnants on the ground (even though I try to clean the floor everyday, sometimes cant help but miss some stuff, sigh) and her stomach is still getting used to the world.

I brought up the concern of her being allergic to chicken, and she said it seems unlikely right now since her stool resolved on its own with her on her normal food, and her bland diet was also based on chicken, which didnt seem to upset her.

Vet was OK with monitoring her for another month to see if she has anymore issues, and re-evaluate then and advised to keep giving probiotics daily.

Fingers crossed she will be OK!!!

kittyblues1984

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Spoke too soon :(

She had diarrhea again this morning, and low appetite, sigh. I phoned the vet and waiting for a callback to see what we should do next...

Maybe it is time to explore new food options - does anybody have any recommendation for a good brand to look into for kittens? I was looking into Nulo Duck and Tuna but also read somewhere that having fish everyday is not good for cats.

Thanks in advance!

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm currently using Ziwi canned and air dried food (no carb), and Primal raw food (also no carb and no artificial additives).
My kittens (currently 8 months) are growing fast, have soft fur, and better muscle tones after I eliminated dry kibbles. My boy has a sensitive stomach and had diarrhea after I adopted him. But it's completely gone and he's more energetic these days. I highly recommend looking into these two brands because they both have very short ingredient lists (in case you want to rule out any allergy trigger).

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I always add a bit of purée pumpkin to help any of my kittens not have diarrhea. Also works with adult cats. All natural, pretty inexpensive, usually clears up in a few days.