Kitten with Feline Leukemia

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need a word of advise... Let's begin with the adorable kitten story:

A kitten followed one of my coworkers and even though she wanted to keep him, she couldn't since her dog just passed, she's still mourning and she knows nothing about kittens/cats. She said that since I already had 2 ... and it was also black like my baby girl... anyway, I ended up with this kitten who might be a bit older than 3 months, very malnourished, very sweet and very avid of human contact.

Well, today I took him to the vet... test shows that he's been exposed to the virus of feline leukemia, but to be totally sure that he has it, I have to wait 3 or 4 weeks and retest... did I mention I have 2 other cats???? Lucky's almost 20 y/o and the doctor told me that old cats are not very prone to catch the virus. Minu is about 5 or 6 y/o she's been vaccinated but not every year, meaning, Monday morning she's getting a boost.

I've been reading about feline leukemia, and as contagious as it is, it is not an airborne virus, but transmitted by saliva, blood, urine or feces. I thought if I keep their food separated and their litter boxes also separated, I stand a good chance to keep him if he's ill. My older cats don't like to be around him, and he only wants to be with humans. They also don't like to use the same box (even my older two don't share, they like their own).

I need some advises, some recommendations please!!!!!

Thank you all!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mrsgreenjeens, the site was very helpful!!!

So far I'm trying to find a home for Gigio without other cats. It helps me know also that my older cats don't share litter boxes... well actually, they have pee-pee pads. Minu never gave a wink for actual litter, instead she preferred the bathroom rugs, after running out of them I cut an old towel and placed it in the bathtub and every morning there was a long process of cleaning, disinfecting and deodorizing the tub until a wonderful person from this site recommended the pee-pee pads and everything worked like a charm.  Lucky and Yanny used to share their litter boxes, but my beloved Yanny passed away on July 6th, and Lucky's rear legs don't support him as they used to when he was younger, and he was getting litter on his private parts (infections alert!!!)  so we switched to pee-pee pads and problem solved.

Even though I'm looking for a new home for Gigio, I have to say that every time I see him, my heart falls a bit more for him; and when he's sleeping.... totally melts!

Also Mrsgreenjeens, your idea of keeping a post about living with cats with and without FeLV might help others with the same issue.

Will keep you post it, and I'm always ready to read more suggestions, advises, comments, etc.