Kitten with ears back and weird expression, what does it mean?

weili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten was playing with me. But he had this weird expression that was scaring me or worrying me. He'd come and pounce on me twice. Then suddenly had weird expression and his ears back. I was in a cat pose to get to the same height as him. It says online that a cat does this when they are fearful or anxious. But seems like for adult cats. I hope he doesn't feel this way.

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any chance you could post a photo or video so we can see for ourselves?

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Guy did that also. First time Cat owner. Guy is 6 months now. The last few weeks it stopped completely> I had to stop playing using my hands. I use toys that go in my hand to play with him.
I had a very hard time with my GUY... In terms of rough play and stalking behaviors... My hand is still a mess. I felt so guilty. Felt like I was gonna have a horrible relationship with my Boy.. One day I want to write down my experience. I think it would be helpful. Very Smart people on this site and I would really like to hear what I did right and wrong in terms of my situation.

Good Luck. I'm sure everything will work out fine...And I got a strong feeling He LOVES YA :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens do that when they are being silly and pretending you are prey or a scary cat. They may do the ears back, fur puffed sideways jump or slow creep up to you. Unless you see him running away in fear, I would assume that is what he is doing. Have a toy ready to toss to him so he doesn’t leap at you or if it makes you nervous move slowly away from him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weili

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens do that when they are being silly and pretending you are prey or a scary cat. They may do the ears back, fur puffed sideways jump or slow creep up to you. Unless you see him running away in fear, I would assume that is what he is doing. Have a toy ready to toss to him so he doesn’t leap at you or if it makes you nervous move slowly away from him.
Thanks, I think you are right he is just being a kitten. There are so many things he doesn't understand and does strangely. And he gets a crazy expression on his face when he's played too happily. I found if I lay down instead, he doesn't do it very much. Instead just touches my face. I guess like you said he's just playing and since I'm in that cat position he thinks I'm playing also. Laying he gets the message I'm not in such a wild mood so he just pounces on me instead without claws.