Kitten With Diarrhea/rejected By Mom

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should put Jr. back with her mom and siblings in general. They may not remember her but should accept her fairly quickly.

It is the best way for her to learn to play and socialize with other kittens, and to learn manners from mom.

You need to keep the kittens with mom for 12 weeks before re-homing them.

Kittens usually go to the vet for first vaccines at 8 weeks.

You can try putting Jr. in the carrier with the others. Have another container ready in case it doesn’t work out. Even if it doesn’t work, she should still re-join the family under your supervision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should put Jr. back with her mom and siblings in general. They may not remember her but should accept her fairly quickly.

It is the best way for her to learn to play and socialize with other kittens, and to learn manners from mom.

You need to keep the kittens with mom for 12 weeks before re-homing them.

Kittens usually go to the vet for first vaccines at 8 weeks.

You can try putting Jr. in the carrier with the others. Have another container ready in case it doesn’t work out. Even if it doesn’t work, she should still re-join the family under your supervision.
Thanks! I will try this. They're going tomorrow to vet to check for worms. And yes I will keep them for 3 more months before rehoming them. So, do you think, if momma and siblings accept her, she can stay with them 24/7?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I do! But you’ll need to watch closely initially to make sure she is 100% comfortable and okay. It may be immediate, or it may take a few days, but it should work out. Remember, it’s a change for Allegro too - she is used to you and your room.

Is Allegro weaned and eating wet food?

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's still weaning. She's now eating dry kitten food, but won't touch wet food unless it's in a bottle (with formula). She absolutely won't drink water out of a bowl, so I'm still giving her 15-20 ml of formula three times a day. Her siblings are about the same- eating kitten dry food but still suckling momma milk

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to continue that with her, even if she spends time with her siblings, until she is fully weaned.

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I took her to see her siblings earlier, and her momma immediately took her in! Siblings were mostly ignoring her, and Allegro seemed somewhat afraid of mom, but overall it went pretty well. I'm regretting not having done this earlier. I thought his mom wouldn't take her in since she rejected her as a newborn. She's back with me for the time being.

Also, I've solved the water issue. I used a wide lid of a container, only about a centimeter tall, and she went right for it. The shallow bowl must be intimidating her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Adopted stray momma cat rejected one of her babies on the very first day. I've been hand raising her since then and everyone is doing fine. Kitties are now 6 weeks old. Momma and her three kids have been kept isolated from all pets all this time, and Allegro Jr, the baby that was rejected, stays in my room. She's had some exposure to my older two cats, who still hiss at her when she gets too close.

I'm taking all four kitties to the vet tomorrow, can/should I put them in the same carrier? I'm afraid they'll all gang up on Jr and she's visibly smaller than they are. Would momma be upset, smelling another kitty on them when they're back? Is it a good idea to re-introduce little Jr to momma now or later? Or should I just keep the kitties in separate carriers and ask the vet to please keep them separated? I'm planning on keeping Jr only, the other three will be re-homed.
Under the vet visit prob best to keep them separated, if that is possible for you. Unnecessary to cause them extra stress in this stressing situation.

But otherwise, I agree with Sarthur, if its possible with some reintroduction and play and being together, its the best. But this you do in controlled and calm forms in your own home, where they feels safe.

Ps. I see I was "second on the ball" as you already had done so. :)
If the kittens arent best friends to tomorrow, best to proceed along the skissed plans, everybody in two different cages.
But home you continue with reintroduction.

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys, the reintroduction has been going well. Little Jr. Is pretty aggressive compared to her siblings- she's even hisses at her mom. She'll adjust with time I'm sure.

However, I'm back with another problem. Her stools have been pretty soft for about a week, ever since she started eating dry food (purina kitten chow). I thought it was just easier to digest. But for the last two days she's going 3-4 times a day, sometimes with mucous and a bit of blood. I only noticed it because she went outside the litter box. Its possible it's been going on for longer and the litter hid it. She had a fecal test done on Friday and it came out negative, so probably not worms. She's been otherwise active and acting normal. You guys think it could be the food? All she's eating at this point is moist dry food and a bit of goats milk. She does eat way too fast and too much. She gets very bloated after and even burps when lapping milk. Maybe she's overeating? I'm leaving dry food available for free feeding, but she only touches it a few times a day in big portions

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Change the food brand perhaps? Wet food pate style?

Goats milk is good, continue with it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be her diet, though Purina kitten chow usually does not cause problems.

I suspect parasites, which do not usually show up in a fecal. It usually takes a specific test. Ask the vet for metronidazole.

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try changing her diet and give it a few days. If it doesn't clear by then I'll give the vet a call. I'm also thinking maybe giarda or coccidia. If that comes back positive I'll have to treat all pets no?

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Light brown to yellowish. This morning looked normal brown but with a tint of red/pink inside. And it's pretty stinky sometimes

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm back again with another question-
I'm considering keeping all 4 new kittens if I can make them get along with my other pets. What's the best way to go about introducing multiple kittens to multiple adult cats (2)? One by one? They've been in isolation so far with the exception of Jr, whom now gets along greatly with my 1 year old and is at least tolerated by my cranky 6 year old. I am afraid this might be too much stress for poor Mika, the six year old kitty. She doesn't get along with anyone too well and it's only been 6 months since second cat was introduced to her. There's so many strays in my neighborhood I couldn't help adopting a few

vanana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3 month old kitten just threw up foamy liquid with blood and two worms. Poor guy has been bloated but I thought he was just constipated. He had a fecal done a few weeks ago that came out negative, so didn't think it was that. All vets are closed by now in my area... do you guys think it's OK to wait until tomorrow morning to see his regular vet? Should I be taking him to the ER?? That's going to be so expensive:( I've got 6 other cats too that will probably have to be dewormed :/

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 month old kitten just threw up foamy liquid with blood and two worms. Poor guy has been bloated but I thought he was just constipated. He had a fecal done a few weeks ago that came out negative, so didn't think it was that. All vets are closed by now in my area... do you guys think it's OK to wait until tomorrow morning to see his regular vet? Should I be taking him to the ER?? That's going to be so expensive:( I've got 6 other cats too that will probably have to be dewormed :/
Definately take this kitten to the er. It could be some sort of parasite or other problems. Praying!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes! Definitely ER vet. Throwing up worms and blood is VERY serious!