Kitten with crushed hind legs! Pleas HELP!!!

mstoff32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About two weeks ago, my kitten was caught under a garage door. His back end was damaged and he was in a lot of pain. We took him to the vet who told us it was touch and go and gave him pain meds and told us to come back in about a week. He seems to be doing better but his hind legs are limited with movement. He hops around like a bunny and his legs are wasting away. Are there any steps I can take to improve his muscle strength? Please help!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mstoff32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I forgot to mention that he is about 3 months old.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about water therapy? If you put him in a bathtub with water just see enough for him to paddle, he will exercise his legs. You could even rig a little flotation device for him.

mstoff32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What about water therapy? If you put him in a bathtub with water just see enough for him to paddle, he will exercise his legs. You could even rig a little flotation device for him.
Thank you for your suggestion! I will certainly try this, my only concern, how will he react his whole body being in water?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestion! I will certainly try this, my only concern, how will he react his whole body being in water?
He probably won't like it at first, but that's ok. Make sure the water is warm like his body temp, not too hot or cold.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any other vet in the area you could take the kitten to for a more thorough exam and x rays and other tests to see how badly damaged the legs may be?

There are wheelchairs for disabled pets you could try to give the kittens' back legs a rest from being dragged around. Here's one popular web site if you are in the US: http://eddieswheels.com/

mstoff32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any other vet in the area you could take the kitten to for a more thorough exam and x rays and other tests to see how badly damaged the legs may be?

There are wheelchairs for disabled pets you could try to give the kittens' back legs a rest from being dragged around. Here's one popular web site if you are in the US: http://eddieswheels.com/
No there are no other vets in the area, the closest other one is over 2 hours away.

loopycann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a thread by Jennyrosalie on the cat health page.Look this thread up. The kitten had damage to the back and regain most of its function from her attempts at physical therapy she made up. That cat couldnt even defecate at first.Now he can and he can get around pretty good but wear a diaper.That infomation will be very valuble to your baby's improvement! The main thing though is not to given permission and to be patient. This kitten can and will pull through but it won't happen unless you help it slowly and consistently.Please keep everyone up dated as we are particularly intrested in her improvement with your help.

mstoff32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a thread by Jennyrosalie on the cat health page.Look this thread up. The kitten had damage to the back and regain most of its function from her attempts at physical therapy she made up. That cat couldnt even defecate at first.Now he can and he can get around pretty good but wear a diaper.That infomation will be very valuble to your baby's improvement! The main thing though is not to given permission and to be patient. This kitten can and will pull through but it won't happen unless you help it slowly and consistently.Please keep everyone up dated as we are particularly intrested in her improvement with your help.
Thanks! I will look that up and certainly will keep you all updated! Just today, Snickers was walking much better, finally separating his back legs instead of hopping like a bunny. The bet gave us some supplements for him, and our other kittens which I believe contains lysine? I'm not sure but I will confirm that as soon as I get home. I'm thinking of trying the water therapy, Snickers has a brother who absolutely loves water and I'm thinking of putting him in with Snickers to calm him down a bit.

mstoff32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, just thought of this, I'm not sure if his tail has any damage but I have noticed it only moves on the upper part and when I pinch the tip, he doesn't do anything.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the top part of the tail that is most important, the lower portion may be broken/damaged and worst case will need removing in time.

If I remember right, the thread from jennyrosalie I had advised water therapy, because if it's deep enough that the hind legs will dangle freely, it is pure instinct that kitty will paddle with them, making it successful exercise without even trying :)

It will also help in his leg functions, allowing better advancement towards healing and getting back to his mischievous kittenhood :)

The more he HAS to use them, the more he will improve.

mstoff32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice! He is doing much much better and can nearly walk normal again. Our vet advised us that he may never walk completely normal again and to expect him to have somewhat of a limp for the rest of his life. He is such a silly kitty and enjoys chasing ants and flies. We have tried hydro therapy and he absolutely hates it but I feel it is helping his hind legs strengthen themselves. He has started to play and play fight with all the other kittens now and can win several of them. One thing i am worried about, the area where his hind legs are attached to his torso seems so much skinnier than the rest of his body. Is this just because of muscular deterioration? Thanks

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for your advice! He is doing much much better and can nearly walk normal again. Our vet advised us that he may never walk completely normal again and to expect him to have somewhat of a limp for the rest of his life. He is such a silly kitty and enjoys chasing ants and flies. We have tried hydro therapy and he absolutely hates it but I feel it is helping his hind legs strengthen themselves. He has started to play and play fight with all the other kittens now and can win several of them. One thing i am worried about, the area where his hind legs are attached to his torso seems so much skinnier than the rest of his body. Is this just because of muscular deterioration? Thanks
Yes it is likely due to the trauma causing deterioration. 

To what extent we don't know but it will be rebuilt in time too. 

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes it is likely due to the trauma causing deterioration. 

To what extent we don't know but it will be rebuilt in time too. 
I am a human doctor, not a vet.  The wasting of the upper hind legs may be due to damage to the nerves associated with his crushed hind legs.  Running around now probably is just as good as hydrotherapy as a treatment for him and as he hates it, in my opinion you could now stop it.  There is very little that can be done for neurological wasting except wait and see, but if the problem is due to simple muscle wasting as a result of inactivity, then  he should now improve.  Keep on letting him run as much as he likes. I cannot see that that would do any damage, but if you are concerned you should check with the vet.. 

With best wishes,

Geoffrey