Kitten with constantly dilated pupils?

kittykstina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys!
So I adopted a 5 month old kitten from the shelter and I’ve noticed his pupils are always usually big/dilated for most of the time. Is that normal? When they’re not dilated they’re just a tad bit smaller and become more almond shaped. Is this something I should bring up to the vet? Does anyone else have a cat with just constantly dilated pupils?

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Meep had this too when she was little. She gradually grew out of it, and the vet didn't remark about it at any of her visits. I had read that permanently-dilated eyes are one sign of high blood pressure, which she doesn't have.

I just attributed it to being an especially interested and engaged kitty.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any time you have a concern, you should bring it up to the vet. Pupils react to light. If the area is dark, they would be large. Try to notice if they contract in higher light. Report what you notice when you mention it to the vet. They can check for any abnormalities. Anytime a kitty gets aroused the pupils can also become larger. Kittens tend to be excitable so hopefully it’s normal but always trust your instincts if you think you notice something that seems a little different. It’s always best to be safe and great when a vet can ease your mind about something.