Kitten with constant issues related to his butt

Maryan's Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a siamese/Thai kitten, he was 2.5 months old when we got him, he always had rectal prolapse after using litter, but still had appetite, was playful and active. After a few days his eyes got watery and I assumed he has parasites; before you ask why I didn't visit a vet, I unfortunately live in a 3rd world country and I had bad experience with 4 vets, the only ones who were somewhat trusted lived very far from my city.

I bought vibrac anti parasitic paste, he threw up 2 hours after it.

He got much worse the next day, not eating, there was diarrhea with blood and mucus in stool.. so I took him to the vet in that far city and took a sample of his stool to get analysis done; they confirmed
that he had parasites and the vet didn't want to take the sample and perform lab analysis, until I forced him to
The vet prescribed anti-parasitic tablets, I gave the kitten these tablets as it was decided.
Slowly but surely his stool stopped being bloody, he improved generally, rectal prolapse wasn't there anymore.
He ate royal canin dry baby cat food, about last week he turned 3months so I started giving him royal canin wet kitten food once a day, the first time I gave it, his stool was bloody, I got worried but reassured that the change in diet can cause blood in stool, the next day he was fine, stool normal, playful and active, had appetite... seems like finally everything was okay
Ofc not, 2 days later he was sleeping on my lap and suddenly he shat on me while he was asleep! It was a small turd. I got up, cleaned it all, and moved on
But today he was very playful and I looked away for a few mins and came back to see the same small sized poop in the middle of the floor, I'm getting very worried, could it be bowel incontinence? He's playful, eats well and overall seems like a healthy kitten except the past two days he has accidents.
I want to know if this is bowel incontinence or if its because he's small or maybe even the food doesn't suit him!
Please share your experiences I'll be very grateful for any information

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I would say that the new food likely might be causing part of the issue, even though he had a good day on it. Are those BMs outside of his litter box loose stools? It is also possible that he needs multiple litter boxes so that he doesn't have to travel far to get to one - he is still young, and the parasites and food changes are more likely to affect his BMs.
There is also a possibility that he needs additional parasitic treatments, as the ones he has received have not actually gotten rid of them entirely.

What is going on now with the anal prolapse? I know you don't have what you feel to be 'good' vets to consult with, but there may be something about this that is attributing to his issues.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be the food your kitten has an intolerance to. There's a ton of fillers in RC which some can react to. I had a momma cat who got really sick on the RC mom and baby food. Try a wet food that is easy to digest or at least has no fillers (which can cause tummy issues) like Rawz, Tiki cats, Ziwi peak, Hounds and gatos :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maryan's Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry no one has responded to your post yet. I would say that the new food likely might be causing part of the issue, even though he had a good day on it. Are those BMs outside of his litter box loose stools? It is also possible that he needs multiple litter boxes so that he doesn't have to travel far to get to one - he is still young, and the parasites and food changes are more likely to affect his BMs.
There is also a possibility that he needs additional parasitic treatments, as the ones he has received have not actually gotten rid of them entirely.

What is going on now with the anal prolapse? I know you don't have what you feel to be 'good' vets to consult with, but there may be something about this that is attributing to his issues.
Thank you for the reply!

His stool isn't loose, it has a shape, brown in color and in general looks like normal feces from healthy kittens.

I missed an info about his prolapse, it used to appear right after he defecated in the litter, then it went back to normal ~5 mins after.

His prolapse is also gone now for the past few weeks after giving him the first dose of anti parasitic tablet, it only slightly re-appeard by the time I had to give him the second and third doses of anti parasitic tablet (which was second dose after two days from visiting the vet, and third one after two weeks which was on Wednesday 3rd). As of now he's doing well the prolapse no longer appeard so far.

Back then I spoke to the vet about prolapse, the vet said "it's very common for kittens, but as they age it will heal itself".

I have doubts that the tablets didn't work since he improved so much after taking them, everything seemed to finally be going well, until I added wet food into his diet; he's been on dry food diet only since I thought after he had diarrhea from parasites it would be OK to keep him on dry food diet until we're done with the tablets, then I started adding wet food into his diet to avoid constipation, that's when new issues happened, which I mentioned in my first post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maryan's Siam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be the food your kitten has an intolerance to. There's a ton of fillers in RC which some can react to. I had a momma cat who got really sick on the RC mom and baby food. Try a wet food that is easy to digest or at least has no fillers (which can cause tummy issues) like Rawz, Tiki cats, Ziwi peak, Hounds and gatos :)
I see it does sound like intolerance to royal canin wet food, but part of me was paranoid and thought the kitten suffered from bowel incontinence now.
The kitten is obsessed with that wet food I assumed they've had additions to RC wet food to cause such insane reaction whenever I opened the pack.
I've noticed he grown quite a lot after I first started giving it, he also became much more playful than before I started giving it. Such a shame it has side effects on his health, I thought maybe he has constipation regardless of giving him wet food?