Kitten with constant bad stomach

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our kittens has has very bad diarreah to the point there was blood one time. Now its just extremely soft and not formed at all. She gets it all on her feet, legs, tail (to to bath her twice) then it ends up all over the house on carpets, sofas, kids toys etc which obviously poses health risks if i dont happen to see where she goes every single time. Vet doesnt seem concerned but its getting very frustrating having to clean poo off everything. Her food was gradually changed over and shes been on it over a week now and still not any better. Is there anything i can give her to sort it out??

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
When was she last checked out by a vet? I'd make sure she's medically cleared from anything internal first. Aside from anything medically wrong with your kitty, there are a few things you can try.
Boiled chicken or purée pumpkin can help ease a cat's digestive issues. The amount that you feed them will be based on how old/big your kitty is, but when I use purée pumpkin for my cats, usually a spoonful twice a day (either with their meals or as a treat) will help in a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last week she was checked for the 2nd time. Shes 9 weeks now. I dont know if i can get pumpkin in england this time or year. I gave her boiled chicken for 48hrs and it hasnt made any difference

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try s boulardii, I've had a lot of success with it. This is the one I use. How old is the kitten?

Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS (5 Billion per Capsule, 90 Vegan Capsules): Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
Yes, its a probioticum, often useful in diarrheas.

Otherwise, you could try with BeneBac probiotic made by PetAg.

As the kitten has much diarrheas, she needs compensation of more salts. You can add some minerale kitchen salt to her food or water.
Or buy her clear pedialyte (the same as for human babies).

also, water from overcooked rice is good. So you could overboil rice with added minerale kitchen salt, and use the fluid resulting; and voila, you get a terrific home made pedialyte useful for diarrhea kittens (and children).

The british equivalent to pedialyte has a brand, which DO contain such a starch rich combo. I dont remember the brand name, but I have seen this.

So, you can either buy it, or make your own.

T TingaTinga

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try s boulardii, I've had a lot of success with it. This is the one I use. How old is the kitten?

Jarrow Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS (5 Billion per Capsule, 90 Vegan Capsules): Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
Great suggestions so far! If they don't work, the signs point towards stress. Could she be getting overstimulation when she plays with the children? Do they know to never pick her up by the belly (always support her limbs)? She may need more quiet time in a room or less physical play.

Maddie's Forum (Cornell University shelter medicine) has a good discussion on diarrhea and the tips at the end of the article are useful for pet owners:
Dont Run from Diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TingaTinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. It seems i was possibly overfeeding. Ive put a little less in a few meals amd it seems to have resolved itself. I couldnt keep her away from the kids if i tried, she chirps to get into their room everytime theyre in there