Kitten with cone itching at neck (are collar allergies possible?)

James&Taki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten was spayed on 2/25 and has been recovering very well. They dealt with the cone a lot better than I expected them to, as all previous attempts at collar training resulted in them running around, itching their neck, and trying to bite the collar off until I finally got a hold of them and got it off. The only times they would let me put it on without freaking out was when I would put it on with their harness and take them outside, where they wouldn't itch or bother with it at all.

Since they weren't wearing a collar when I brought them in, the vet held the cone on with a piece of gauze-y fabric, which works pretty well, but it's kind of getting tattered.

Yesterday I took the cone off, replaced the fabric with their collar, and put it back on. They dealt with it surprisingly well, but would often stop and kick/itch at their neck, significantly more so than when it was held on with the fabric. And maybe it was just more uncomfortable than the fabric, but they also responded much more strongly (in a positive way) than usual to being scratched/rubbed around the head/neck area (which makes me think their kicking/itching is more than just "ahh, I'm not used to having a collar on" and something about the collar is making them legitimately itchy). Today they messed with it so much they straight-up pulled it off (which is the first time they've even tried - like I said, they've been very good with the collar).

So I took out the collar and put the cone back on with the fabric. My friend said he has some fabric I could use to hold the cone on that will tatter less than the gauze-y fabric the vet gave us, so tomorrow if I can get the fabric from him, I will replace it. So far Taki is still itching more than usual at their neck and responding a lot to head/neck scratches. They just tried to pull it off again and didn't succeed. As time goes on, though, they seem to be getting more comfortable and less itchy now that the collar is off.

I'm wondering if they might have been allergic to some part of the collar - I got it from etsy and it's very well made (I'm not inclined to think this is the collar maker's fault at all), but they seem sensitive to it in a way they weren't with just the fabric and cone. Materials listed include Cork Webbing, Solid Brass, Alpaca Metal, White Brass, and Steel. I know some people are sensitive to certain metals and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with their cats being allergic/sensitive to certain metals, or related collar difficulties. I don't see any skin irritation, but it's very very hard to see their skin with all their thick, long fur.

Am I reaching here? Is there something else I should be looking for? Do they just find that collar uncomfortable for reasons more related to fit than allergy or material sensitivity? How would I even determine allergy/sensitivity? Should I try a different collar, maybe one made of leather or fabric? I'm cautious about that because if they do have a metal allergy or sensitivity and I buy another collar to try that has the same metal that they're sensitive to, that's such a waste of money and time.

Taki and I get along together great and they're usually very cooperative and polite, I'm just stumped about what to do about the collar situation! I feel a bit silly posting this cuz I feel like my metal sensitivity/allergy theory might be a little far-fetched (based on how people I've talked to about it IRL so far have responded), but I really don't know what to do to help them have a comfortable collar long-term. (Short-term I'm hoping the friend's fabric will work out, as far as holding on the cone goes.)

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Sorry this is so long!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Don't feel silly at all. Try a leather collar, if they're comfortable with that then you were right :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James&Taki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Don't feel silly at all. Try a leather collar, if they're comfortable with that then you were right :)
Thank you! I'll try a metal-free one without a bolted personalized plate (I got it because I didn't want any hanging tags to bother them, but clearly they're bothered anyways!) and see whether or not they're okay with tags - we might end up at a middle ground where they wear the collar full-time but only wear the ID tags when we go out with the harness.

I realize I should have been a little clearer about their collar - here are some photos (I should've included these in the main post! whoops):

1583126760519.png
1583126791339.png

They've grown into it a little more since these photos were taken, and it's been re-adjusted so it doesn't fit the same as shown.

The turquoise bit is made of cork webbing, and the identification plate is made of and bolted on with brass. The seller's photos show the inside metal bits much better. (Now that I'm linking directly to them I feel like I should restate that I don't think this is in any way the maker's fault! I love the collar, I just think Taki might be personally sensitive to it.)

Thank you so much! I'll find a leather one for them to try - if it doesn't work out, I know some local cat fosterer's who could maybe use it or find someone who could. Easier to pass on if they aren't personalized, lol!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness what a cutie!
Thinking out loud, looking at those bolts, I wonder if their fur is getting caught under the bolts, or something? But in any case, let us know how things go :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

James&Taki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This thread is old but I wanted to update since I mentioned the collar they wear in this thread and I don't want anyone considering buying this collar to come across this and have concerns.

Taki is not allergic to the collar, and their fur was not getting caught under the bolts (they are very smooth with no gap).

I think Taki just hates collars : / After a lot of experimenting, they just hate anything around their neck. In the time following this post, while Taki was still wearing the cone, I switched back and forth between the fabric and collar quite a bit, and they seemed to despise both equally.

I think the increased scratching after switching to the collar was a coincidence, and I certainly was in a weird, anxious headspace during Taki's recovery, more prone to fretting. Sorry for making a whole thread about something that turned out to just be "my cat doesn't like anything around their neck" and thank you to everyone who responded - it was really helpful to me. ❤