Kitten with Coccidia

Madame Du

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found a kitten that someone dropped off in the street in front of our house. They knew we fed the feral cats in the neighborhood, so I would not leave this poor thing out there to starve. The only problem is every time I brought her to the house she ran back to the street to wait for them to come get her. It was so sad. I brought her in the house so she would not get run over. I knew she was sick. She was gaunt, bones showing. She refused to eat or drink anything. Then she threw up. Time to see a vet. It was Coccidian. She has one more dose of her 5 medicines tomorrow but we are having to force feed her. I think she still misses whoever through her out. When I open the front door she throws a fit to go out. People say cats memories are not very long, but she is remembering something. I am going to try your remedy to get her to eat, with the Pedialyte. I know she has been in a lot of pain. Also let your bloggers know that the kittens little bottoms get very irritated when they have diarrhea, so giving them a warm bath and putting a little Neosporin on a Q-tip on their bottoms really calms them down. Thank you for your help1

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Madame Du Madame Du Cats can have VERY long memories. Nobel is still frightened of strange women when outside due to a trauma in his kittenhood many years ago (over 14 years).

She could be depressed and not eating, or it could be the medication causing nausea or both. It could also be if she was used to starving that her tummy is quite small. Also with that infection, it causes painful diahera. The kitten could associate eating with that.

What foods have you tried? Have you gotten Recovery food from the vet?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree the medications may be causing loss of appetite. Which medications is she taking?

Has the diarrhea resolved yet?

How old is the kitten and what does she weigh?

Most kittens will lap Gerber turkey or chicken baby food if you are in the U.S. and can get it.

Thank you for rescuing her! Please do not let her outside. She will adjust to indoors fully over time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Madame Du

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree the medications may be causing loss of appetite. Which medications is she taking?

Has the diarrhea resolved yet?

How old is the kitten and what does she weigh?

Most kittens will lap Gerber turkey or chicken baby food if you are in the U.S. and can get it.

Thank you for rescuing her! Please do not let her outside. She will adjust to indoors fully over time.
We are still fighting the diarrhea and it has turned a dark green in color, which bothers me. I do not know how old she is, maybe 8 weeks. The vet put her on Albon, Pancar, Pro-Pectalin, and Amoxicillin (twice a day) and they had to force liquids under her shoulder blades because she was so dehydrated. She has been on these for 4 days and tomorrow is her last dose of the the first three. She has to stay on the Amoxicillin for 10 days. She weighed 2 pounds when I found her. Now I have gotten her up to 3 pounds. She is mostly skin and bones. Today she actually drank water on her on from a water dish. So I tried giving her food from dish like it. She ate a little but then turned away. Later she tried some dry but just cried and cried. She is not Feral, she was in someone's house. She is litter box trained. She loves watching tv and sleeping on the arm of the couch. I am in Tennessee so my daughter can get those things for me.

Madame Du

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Madame Du Madame Du Cats can have VERY long memories. Nobel is still frightened of strange women when outside due to a trauma in his kittenhood many years ago (over 14 years).

She could be depressed and not eating, or it could be the medication causing nausea or both. It could also be if she was used to starving that her tummy is quite small. Also with that infection, it causes painful diahera. The kitten could associate eating with that.

What foods have you tried? Have you gotten Recovery food from the vet?
The vet didn't offer any food only meds. We have tried all kinds of foods and combinations. I did not know about the Pedialyte until I read those posts today. We tried it, and she started eating from a bowl again instead of being force fed. That was a great relief. This afternoon she has been hungry but she doesn't know what she wants. Now she just wants me to hold her and pet her. The Neosporin with pain killer helped with the swelling and burning from the diarrhea. They don't like the taste but it won't hurt them if they ingest it, I checked with the vet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet didn't offer any food only meds. We have tried all kinds of foods and combinations. I did not know about the Pedialyte until I read those posts today. We tried it, and she started eating from a bowl again instead of being force fed. That was a great relief. This afternoon she has been hungry but she doesn't know what she wants. Now she just wants me to hold her and pet her. The Neosporin with pain killer helped with the swelling and burning from the diarrhea. They don't like the taste but it won't hurt them if they ingest it, I checked with the vet.
That's wonderful. If you can call the vet to get a couple of cans of recovery food, it will help her for sure. It nutritionally dense and high calorie so will help with the weight.

I've also had good results with Royal Canin's Mother and Babycat food. It's got some things to help build an immune system and is easy to digest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Green diarrhea is usually caused by bacterial overgrowth in the digestive tract. The probiotic she is on will help to restore her gut health, while the Albon treats coccidia, the Panacur treats worms, and the Amoxicillin treats other infections.

A high protein diet is recommended for green diarrhea, so I would offer the meat baby food as soon as possible until she is well.

I think you should continue the Pedialyte since it helped, and you can smear honey or Karo syrup on her gums for quick energy before feeding.

If she’s to stay on the Amoxicillin as you say, I would be inclined to continue the probiotic, as antibiotics can be harsh on gut health. However, if she will start eating more that alone would help.

I would also ask the vet about nausea meds. They would help for the next week while she finishes her meds, making her feel more like eating.

For an 8 week old kitten, she’s been on a lot of meds.

Please do keep us posted. I’m rooting for this baby to get healthy. Most healthy kittens have ravenous appetites while they are growing up!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for taking in that poor baby. She probably misses her family. I would like to add, if you aren't already doing so, separate the probiotic from the antibiotics by at least 4-6 hours; otherwise, the antibiotics kill the probiotas well as bad bacteria.

Madame Du

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of these suggestions have helped Kin (pronounced Keen, means Gold in Japanese for her eyes). Yesterday afternoon she was very playful. She unfortunately slide off the back of the couch, twice, but caught herself. So that lets me know her muscles are in good shape.