Kitten with CH, need some help please

jamaal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have been looking for a kitten and found one on Petfinder.  He is four months old and has moderate-severe CH. I was actually trying to find out how severe his CH was when asking about him.  Now that I know it is moderate-severe, I'm not sure what to do. I'm really nervous to be honest.  I have read up on the condition and watched videos, but I have no idea what it would be like on a day to day basis with him.  He is at an animal hospital where he was abandoned. He has been there for months now.  He spends most of his time in a cage and in a big Rubbermaid box thing, when the vet tech takes him home.  He hasn't been around other cats because of his situation.  I don't know how he is going to get around, what his litter box situation will be like and how he will be around my other cats.  I have a lot of questions regarding CH and I cant get specific answers by just reading up on it.  I'd like to know how much care he will need on a daily basis.  I'd like to know what to do with him when I have to go somewhere. I really don't want to lock him in a cage or anything.  Especially with the other cats able to just roam freely.  I want to make the best decision here.  They told me I could take him for a week and see how he interacts with the other cats and how we feel about him.  I really don't want to take him and have to bring him back.  I feel like I already have one cat who I need to work with everyday to become social, and I have to worry about her when I go on short vacations....what will happen if I decide to take in this cat?!  I'll probably go nuts if I leave him!  I don't want to be selfish, and thinking I don't want him because he will be too much trouble when I want to go have fun makes me feel terrible.  But at the same time I don't want to regret it either, and take everything into consideration.  I have 2 daughters 11 and soon to be 13...and they really want this cat too, knowing his condition they want to help him more, as do I. I also have 3 cats of my own, I did have 4 until I lost my kitten to FIP, so the number isn't the problem, it's wondering how much individual care I need to give to him, and will he be able to play with my super playful cat?  Plus, the woman told me to put wee wee pads in the corners....that worries me.  I rent! Carpets everywhere....I'd just like some information on daily life with a CH cat from people who have a CH cat, so I know what I should do , how to make his life better, any advise.  I am supposed to go see him today and then pick him up on Monday.  I can do the week trial and then decide from there, but I don't know if I would have the heart to give him back even if I was overwhelmed...Any advise would be appreciated, I have a few days to think it over thoroughly.

maurene

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know nothing about CH.  But, it sounds like the kitty might not be good fit for you.  Your heart is in the right place though.  Likely there is another kitten out there needing a good home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamaal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to see him today and he was so crazy, trying to run and play, full of energy, which is great.  I'm hoping he will do fine in our home.  I just need to know how he eats, and gets around on a day to day basis.  I know I can just give it a try for a week, but I really feel like if I do it will be forever, whether I like it or not!  I just don't know what to do with him when I have to be gone for hours.  I don't know how his litter box habits are...they have him at the vet, he's been there for 2 months. So I have no clue I wish someone who had a CH cat could give me some insight!

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know anything about having a CH cat. There used to be one at the local pet store many years ago. She was very affectionate. It was the store cat. It had an awkward way of walking, but managed to get from point a to point b in her own manner and was perfectly happy and very friendly. The owner of the store took the cat home with her every night. The only thing she mentioned was that the cat did not do well on stairs and was really a one floor cat.

Hopefully, a forum member will be along sometime soon who has experience with CH and any potential issues.