Kitten with bloated belly

Lucky Woosley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, this one has both me and two of our vets stumped. I'll give a run down of what has been done so far...

Milo is a 5/6-ish week old kitten. We got him, along with 4 litter(?) mates on Saturday. He weighed just 15 ounces. Had fleas and an URI (Calicivirus...he has ulcers in his mouth.)

All kittens were combo tested (negative), had fecal (negative), dewormed (Strongid), given dawn baths and Milo was started on Amoxicillin and Terramycin.

The bloated belly was noted, but we all thought roundworms. The size of the belly has not decreased and is not related to eating.

Appetite is good, and he is urinating and producing stool. Stool quality was formed, but almost had a soft play-dough consistency. Just in the last 12 hrs he has had looser stool, but I attribute this to a diet change yesterday. (Vet wanted him on a simple, easily digestible, high protein diet as there was concern about a protein absorption issue and wanted to try a baby food diet for a few days.)

We sent out another fecal (outside lab...basic panel) and did radiographs (being read by a radiologist.)

The x-rays did not look normal and there doesn't appear to be much if any fluid in the belly. Liver was suggestively larger than normal. But, again, waiting on the official report, which should be in later today.

Milo is getting over the URI and, with that, his energy level is increasing, though he does tire easily.

Any thoughts?

I will add. Milo weighed 15 ounces on Saturday and was 1 lb 3 ounces yesterday. I'm honestly not sure if this is a good thing or not as his belly is proportionally larger than it was on Saturday. Also, the belly is form/hard not soft/squishy.

Pictures coming.
Wanted to give everyone another update on Milo.

He returned to the cardiologist this past Wednesday for a 6 month recheck. His abdominal distention had completely disappeared about 2 months ago (over about a 3 week period) and he has more energy. I went in thinking they do the echo recheck, possibly an abdominal u/s and basically give him the all clear....that didn't happen.

So, we now know the cause of Milo's enlarged heart and liver. He has been diagnosed with Ateial Septal Defect (ASD), or, in other words, a hole in his heart. The hole is located between the upper left and right chambers and both chambers of the right are enlarged. [

B]There is no treatment to fix this.[/B] Milo will eventually go into heart failure. However, there is no way to predict when this will occur. It could be in 2 years or 6. There are medications to help manage symptoms once they start, but nothing to slow progress. (If anyone knows something different PLEASE let me know!)

So...Looks like Milo will be one of my long-term fosters. He will be loved and spoiled and kept comfortable for however long he is with us.

He will be returning to the vet school next month to get neutered (under cardio supervision, but they expect an excellent outcome.)

Because ASD is genetic, we will need to get Milo's 4 sisters checked out. After talking with the cardiologist, we suspect at least one, maybe two, may have the same malformation. We're working on raising funds ($350 per cat) and will be taking them down beginning next month. Fingers crossed the others are healthy and can be adopted!
How is Milo?