orphaned kitten

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an orphaned 2 week old kitten. Although I have been able to feed her, she needs something in her bed to comfort her. Anyone have a idea. Maybe a stuffed animal, but what kind? Thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Any soft stuffed toy is fine, or you can roll a ticking clock in a towel for her to snuggle. This replicates a heartbeat. Have you also placed a heating pad set on low under the blanket? Or a sock filled with dry rice and microwaved, then rolled in a towel. Or a hot water bottle in a towel. Any of these will offer comfort!

Check this out:

Amazon.com : Calmeroos Kitty Heartbeat Toy Sleep Aid with 2 Long-Lasting Heat Packs Last 36 Hours Each Kitten Puppy Anxiety Relief Soother Cats and Dogs Cuddle Snuggle Calming Behavioral Aid for Pets : Pet Supplies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have done the hot water bottle, I will try your other solutions. Right now I end up walking the floor with her wrapped up in a towel. Hopefully I can get them in a hurry!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you. I have done the hot water bottle, I will try your other solutions. Right now I end up walking the floor with her wrapped up in a towel. Hopefully I can get them in a hurry!
Yeah, the kangaroo method is superb! Although you want to complete up this with these heating pad / rice sock... (dont need to change as often as a warm water bottle).

Another tip is to wrap this rice socket in a layer of fleece. Fleece feels almost as mommas skin.

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a rescue kitten that I have been bottle feeding. I believe she is approximately 3 weeks old. She has gained weight but I think her stomach is distended. I believe this may be worms. Most meds for deworming says they should be 6 weeks old. Does anyone know of a brand that is for younger kittens? She is still very wobbly and shakes like a 2 week old kitten. But she is walking and feeding. Thank you for your help.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That young and wobbly/shaky, I would at least ask a vet for advice. Can you call or contact your vet? Jamie was wormed at about 5 weeks old by my vet, and he was quite debilitated when I rescued him the weak before, but I trusted the vet to handle it.

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I am going to call them tomorrow since this is a holiday. I was just hoping for a brand name that I could purchase over the counter. Thanksj for your help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think you have much of a choice but to see what the vet says. Generally speaking, unlike puppies, kittens do not get worms while in utero (or from their mother's milk), so they typically do not need to be dewormed in the first 2 to 3 weeks of life. Is she in an environment to have acquired worms? Even if there were a wormer to use on such a young kitten, I think having her checked out first is a better bet.

Edit: Is she pooping OK? Could be related to the distended belly if not.

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 1/2 week old rescue kitten has a big belly. I took her to the vet and the fecal test showed no parasites. She is eating and pooping normal. Should I give her deworming meds anyway? I'm so worried about her.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't deworm her if the vet said not to. You can always ask for a more in-depth panel to check for parasites that don't show up on a normal fecal. The fact that she is eating/playing/using the litterbox are all great signs!

For what it's worth, my Dexter had a larger than usual tummy when he was 6+ months old. I was so paranoid that I had him x-rayed. I paid my vet to tell me he was fat...lol! Sometimes kittens get super pudgy right before a growth spurt too and then slim back out. As long as she is acting normally, don't worry. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help. Since she is a rescue kitten, I don't know what is normal for her. I made two trips to the vet because for awhile she wouldn't poop! Now that is not an issue. Maybe I am over feeding her. She is not very active, but she is young. She isn't into the litter box yet. We're still in the "stimulating" phase. This is more difficult that having my children!

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely consult back with your vet. Maybe she is backed up since she has had issues with eliminating in the past- constipation can still happen even if it seems that they are going regularly. Vet can tell you what to give her to help move things along if that's the case. Also, never be afraid to get a second opinion! Than you for taking care of her!!

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just posted two photos. I hope you can see from them. I'm embarrassed to go to the vet again. He thinks I'm crazy! Please let me know what you think. Thank you so much

phoenician lady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This little rescue kitten seems to get congested after she eats. I am still bottle feeding her. She's about 3 - 4 weeks and the vet said although she was underweight, she had good lungs and heart. It sounds like she needs to blow her nose! This just developed yesterday. I am keeping her warm and other than that I don't know what this is about. Any advise or help would be appreciated. Thank you

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I just posted two photos. I hope you can see from them. I'm embarrassed to go to the vet again. He thinks I'm crazy! Please let me know what you think. Thank you so much
Sorry for the late reply! I do see what you mean, her tummy is quite round.

A good vet will never think you're crazy. That's their job to help your animals, after all! Voice your concerns and talk about what to do if her belly doesn't start to go down in a week or so- kittens grow like crazy during this phase. Again, the fact that she is eating and playing are all good signs!

You can always get a second opinion from another vet.

Last edited by a moderator: