Kitten with Allergies??

MaineCoon_Momma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I decided to get a new kitten after only having full grown cats my whole life. I also chose a long haired cat (Maine Coon) since I'd never had one. I have 2 older short haired Bombay cats. My kitten came home fine he was eating, drinking, sleeping all the time and terrorizing my older two cats. 3 or 4 days after I got him I noticed that his 3rd eyelid on his left eye has become a little swollen and wouldnt go down fully. Then he developed this runny nose and has sneezing fits Both of his 3rd eyelids are now a little pink amd puffy and wont go down all the way and his eyes are watering. Ive done well to keep his eyes clear of discharge. Dabbing with a warm wash cloth or cotton ball multiple times a day. He doesnt act like anything is wrong he still plays and has a good appetite. I havent noticed any diarrhea or blood in his stool or urine. Is it possible that he has allergies. How can I help him. He looks absolutely miserable. The same way I feel when new pollen hits the air in the spring time. Ive got him setup for his first physical and inital check up in a week but, I wanted to know if there is anything I can do for him now to help. He absolutely hates me when I have to wipe away the eye discharge and gunk from his nose. He sounds stuffed up. I just want to make him feel better. Picture attached for reference. This is him when he came home.

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a kitty cold-- how old is he? Looks too young to be away from mum, in all honesty, and respiratory infections affect young kittens a lot worse. Have you contacted the breeder? There's not much to be done but basic pallative care until he's seen by a vet. Depending on how serious it is, he may need antibiotics. Has he had all his kitten vacs yet?

Cats can have allergies, but they usually manifest as dermatitis/itching, and not with sneezing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely a vet. I had a URI in a young rescued kitten several years ago and it infected my indoor cats despite the fact that I kept her in quarantine and did not bring her inside until the vet cleared her. I may have been the carrier despite being cautious about handling her. Your kitten looks miserable, poor little baby, and needs a vet.