Kitten with a little extra...

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just adopted an 8 week old tabby kitten, and I just noticed that he has an extra claw on one back foot. Its like the fifth claw on a front paw, but it does not feel like it is connected to his foot bones, it feels loose, I thought he had something stuck to his paw at first, until I realised it was a claw.

Ive never seen anything like it before. Does this make him a polydactlyl?

Im worried about it getting caught on things, but he is at the vet on Friday for his first vaccines, so will let them have a look at it.

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten is polydactyl. It's not that uncommon. You can Google it, and a lot should come up. Completely fine and nothing to be concerned about. I think polydactyl cats are super adorable!

Ps. Make sure to clip the extra claw so it doesn't overgrow and cause issues. I'm sure your vet will check and explain all that.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
AWWWWWW! Polydactyles are adorable! But do take the advice that nycats nycats gave you. Have the vet talk with you about nail clipping and such. And ENJOY YOUR NEW BABY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's his bonus claw.

Vet recommends having it removed when he is in to be neutered, as it is not attached to anything and could get caught on things.

Attachments