Kitten weeing on the bed

Kezza301

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone so we got our cat Penny on the Saturday18th since then she's been really good with her litter tray, we have 2 trays and we keep them clean for her but on the Wednesday she weed on the covers while we were sitting with her and then the next day she weed on me while I was sleeping! We obviously cleaned it up and got a spray for the area and the next 2 nights she didn't have any accidents and then last night again she's managed to wee on the bed while we are asleep which was a nasty disgusting surprise :(

Hie can we stop this behaviour? Is it just because she turned 8 weeks on Sunday and the seller sold us to us just a day under 7 weeks? Normal kitten behaviour to have accidents etc we will end up having to keep her out of our bedroom if she keeps weeing on the bed as we can't keep washing our duvet and mattress each night as it's getting cold and we've been without a duvet each time she wees.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear - it could be that she is still very young. 10-12 weeks is a better age to leave her litter. She might be getting cold or it may be something as simple as having an immature sphincter (some breeds mature more slowly - a Maine Coon can take 5 years to fully mature, similar to a German Shepherd or Border Collie). I would monitor her bedtime routine as you would a young child - a vigorous play session followed by a wet meal, some KMR (she needs the calcium still) then cuddles and grooming then bed. She will become happier and more confident if she sleeps with you as her family (be sure she doesn't get rolled on or smothered because that could cause her to pee in a panic). At night, you can protect your duveé with a cheap, flocked-back plastic table cloth used for picnics - I top them with old fleece throws for kitten beds.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, has she been to see your vet yet? All kittens should be taken for a medical look-over within a couple of days of them coming to live with you, especially one that young who should not have been pulled from her mama yet.

If all turns out ok, it could be she's too young to remember where the box is all the time, especially navigating a dark house.

Perhaps having her safely penned at night might help. We used a large pen at night to hold our kitten for the first month or so. It was large enough for a small litter box, a soft hidey hut, her food/water dishes and a few small toys to keep her busy. Containing her to one area may help her develop better litter box habits and also, keep her safe at night. You certainly can put the pen in your bedroom to keep her close by.

FURHAVEN Soft-sided Dog & Cat Playpen, Sailor Blue, Large - Chewy.com

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beds can be tempting to kittens, even those of proper age to be weaned. Can you exclude the kitten from the bedroom for a couple of weeks or is this the kittens safe room? If that isn't workable, try putting the bedding in the closet during the day. Kneeding the covers beneath the paws seems to be a trigger -- its just enough like burying waste.

Remember to use an enzyme cleaner so the bed doesn't smell like a bullseye.

Good luck!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is very young and deffinitely still a toddler in kitten stages; so likely to have accidents. I would not let her sleep with me at that age. My stepsister DID roll onto one of our kittens when he was tiny. Forutnatley he meowed and that woke her up. When my kittens were young they slept in a confined area. We purchased a large wire dog crate that held a small litter box as well as a bed and other necessities. I think she will do better if she can be a bit closer to a litter box at all times.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If kitten gets moved to her own bed, a warm spot will give her great comfort. A hidey hut like sivyaleah sivyaleah suggested is an excellent idea. If you add a plush toy & a small 4w heated pet pad or a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock, it will be similar to being with a kitty family. After 4 weeks of age, a kitten's (or puppy's) body temperature is 100.5°-102.5°F so they sleep better with a little extra warmth. I cover their sleep area with a blanket, towel or sheet to help keep out stimuli and bedtime is 9 o'clock.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main problem is she is still too young to control her tiny bladder, and most likely can't remember where the litter box is, so she just goes where it's convenient. I would get her a cat heat pad and confine her to a small room or a large dog crate until she uses the box consistently. She may have a urinary tract infection so you might want a vet to check her out first before you start training her. Cats learn most of their behavioral/life skills between the ages of 6-12 weeks with their siblings and mother. She is missing out on a lot so it is up to you.