Kitten Watch

theOriginalEP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm (impatiently) waiting for my girl to give birth. To distract myself, I thought I'd make a thread to follow these last few days.

Here is a picture of her majesty and some details.

This is Pearl <3
Due Date: any second??? She's about 9 weeks pregnant
Experience: First (and LAST) Litter
Labor Signs:
- Lots of kitten movement last couple weeks
- heavy appetite
- Last night super restless and possible contractions
- Today super sleepy and affectionate
- Lots of kitten movement easily seen for the last couple weeks but then today nothing at all
- Still eating well but not drinking anywhere near as much
- base of tail looks fatter??

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

theOriginalEP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no babies. I was up with her most of last night while she paced and chirped and groomed (herself, me, the blanket), going back and forth from me to her nest. She looks even bigger today somehow, the poor little darling. I am certain she has been having contractions intermittently over the last 36 hours or so and her belly dropped quite a bit yesterday. I know she's not in active labor so I don't really need to worry. I just have a feeling she wants me around for it and I can't sit with her indefinitely. Please think happy labor thoughts! ✨🎇

theOriginalEP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Between 11:15p and 2:30am this morning, I quietly supported my girl as she brought forth five perfect babies. We had the most beautiful bonding experience while she labored the first one out on my bed next to my own first of five while he slept. Her first was breach and mama was working hard but it all went very well. Everyone is doing great! Mama Pearl doesn't want me to leave her side and has plenty to say if I move from the floor next to her nest. But she is caring for her little ones like a pro. o
20221007_092421.jpg
CM_Photogrid_1665153738744.jpg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for numbering them, as often I can‘t tell where one starts and another stops. Love the names, long may they all wave!

theOriginalEP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our babies are 1 week old today! They have DEFINITELY grown, and Mama Pearl has been doing great. They have all doubled their weight since they were 2 days old (that was the first time I weighed them because I didn't want to upset Mama). They are eating well and frequently.

HOWEVER, all the articles I read have said the kittens should be significantly larger than they are. I read that kittens born under 2.5 ounces are underweight. These littles were all about 24g when they were born (which is just 1 ounce!). Now they are all about 50g.

Mama is a particularly petite cat (she still looks older kitten sized) so is it possible her babies are just healthy petites like her? Or should I start supplementing STAT???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you using a digital scale that weighs in grams to weigh them? Is it calibrated properly?

Kittens under 90 grams are considered premature. At 24 grams they likely would not have been able to latch, nurse, or survive. I’m wondering if your scale is accurate, because even kittens born at 50 grams struggle.

Please check your scale or get a new one or borrow one and re-check their weights.

In the meantime, if they are latching and nursing they should be gaining 6-10 grams (or more) each per day. At one week they should weigh about 4 ounces. They need weighing daily. It’s the only way to know if they are getting enough milk.

T theOriginalEP

Last edited: