Kitten vomiting three days after neuter

Eldorado3030

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten was neutered a few days ago and everything seemed to be going well until he started vomiting on the third day. We’re on the fourth day now and he doesn’t eat very much if at all compared to his appetite before and those first two days after his surgery.

I’ve tried contacting the vet but there are complications in going in due to the corona virus. He did get a rabies, Feline Distemper and a Feline Leukemia vaccine as well as a microchip on top of being fixed if that helps any. I’m really not sure what to do he’s vomited 6-7 times now 😔Is there anything I can do to help him feel better aside from constant access to food and water?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he eating/drinking at all? Getting him to drink water is top priority, he may be getting dehydrated. If you have access to infant unflavored Pedialyte, that has the electrolytes he is missing. It sounds like a reaction to the anesthetic, or the vaccinations. Make a note to have this in his charts, it is crucial information for the next time he is vaccinated or has surgery. How does his surgical site look, healing, or swollen, oozing, or red at all? I'm leaning more towards the vaccinations since three days would be about the time they start to stimulate the body to produce antibodies. That takes about a week. At most cat sections, Dollar General, Walmart, etc., they have a cat treat in the treat section that is called Delectables Lickable Cat Treat. my cats like the stew, not the bisque. it is a lifesaver for me and a literal one for my cats who have Leukemia. When they get sick it is the ONLY thing they will eat and keeps them alive until they are strong enough to fight it. I keep it around for medicines too. I hope it is mild and goes away soon, all the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eldorado3030

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to respond. He takes small amounts of food and will take a few licks of the Lickables but still won’t really take water aside from a bottle dribbled in little drops at a time from the side of his mouth. He’s still playing and energetic, but we recently just found a worm in his most recent throw up session. We think it’s a roundworm and have the medication for it here but I have no idea if now is the best time to give it to him considering he’s already so poorly. 😢

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does that worm look like spaghetti? That's what I've been told roundworms look like. Has he already been treated for worms, is that why you have the medication there? Usually they get treated once, they again in 10 - 14 days. But I would say if he's vomited up a roundworm, that is the problem. If he hasn't been treated yet for worms, or it's been at least 10 days, you can probably go ahead and give him a treatment as long as you know how much, etc. for his size.