kitten vomited 6 times in two weeks, help needed!

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4.5 month kitten has been vomiting six times in the past two weeks, first started after we gave him some cat grass and had some hairball out. We thought that was normal plus at that time he was transitioning back to wellness canned food, so he might also have some issue with the adjustment. He then vomited three times during the rest of the week, he played right after eating and sometime he eats 3 quarters of a 6 oz can, so we really thought it was a combination of factors from food adjustment to eating too much and the symptom would go off soon. However, this week he vomited again, first time the dry food that hasn't been digested yet (we feed him both dry and wet and he has been on the same dry food since months ago) then some water today. This is how I'm starting to think it could be something else.

Kitten is a Maine coon weighing 7 lbs, perfectly active, eats well and nothing seems to be wrong with the stool. Vet also checked his heart and lung two weeks ago and they are both clear. He does have ringworm though. My questions are the following:

1. Could new food adjustment last as long as 2 weeks?
2. How much of it can be related to the cat grass that he had? To us everything seems to start with the catgrass, and he only had it once.
3. He has been having some eye goop for a while and we think it might be related to the URI he had 1.5 months ago. I started to give him some lysine the day before yesterday in prevention of another flare-up, could it be related to today's vomiting?
4. Based on my description, what could be the possibilities? Anything I should be worried about?
5. I have made an appointment with the vet on Monday, what do I need to know before going?

Many thanks!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I highly doubt that switching him back to wellness canned (canned is digested so much easier than dry) would cause vomiting, however it may be from the amt of food he is eating at one time. You did mention though that it is now monitored right?

Did I read right, he vomited water today? Just water? Color?

Is there anything in the vomits at all that you can see besides the undigested dry food?

In answer to your questions-

1) no, that would be a rediculously long time to adjust to food, especially canned wellness.

2) Mmmm....highly doubtful at this point, too long.

3) Eye discharge is also related to food allergies (believe it or not) however it is likely a minor flare-up from his uri. You don't mention how you are giving the lysine.

4) Based on what you describe, although you are not specific enough in exactly what foods you are feeding, what was his before foods, what are they now? Name brand, no judgements ever.

The biggest concern would of course be the ingestion of something not food related, causing an onbstruction, although he is able to eat fine sometimes it sounds like. If he is able to eat dry food without vomiting, it is unlikely to be an obstruction.

Also, when he vomits, how does he do it? Wretching many times like regurgitating food, or a quick barf up, not much signs that it will be happening except maybe a couple of "about to vomit" type movements, or projectile, shooting it out?

It doesn't sound like an illness related problem unless there are mild symptoms that you aren't noticing, maybe sleeping more, less active, possible fever, etc?

It sounds more food based, once you say exactly what he is eating now and before, might be helpful in determining the possible case.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you have a vet appointment on Monday. I'm not sure what's going on, but it doesn't seem likely to be related to the cat grass since that should be out of his system by now. I also don't think it's related to the herpes virus if that's what you're giving the lysine for. The regurgitation may be the food transition, the food itself, or eating too fast. I would try smaller portions, fed more frequently, or even the same portion, split out into 2-3 portions about 10 minutes apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi catwomen707,

Thanks very much for replying, hopefully the following answers can help you come up with some thoughts.

The vomit today was food-colored water/bile, and I did not observe anything other than the undigested dry food last time. He used to have Evo (kitten and adult) canned plus wellness core kitten formula dry, before transiting to wellness core kittwn formula canned, he had two days of natural balance duck and green pea canned since we were out of Evo. he used to have wellness core kitten formula dried for a month or so when we first got him and was fine,this is why I wasn't doubting the food much.

I feed him 500ml l-lysine a day, split in half for morning and night.

The way he vomited are both - he wretched a couple of time with heavy meowimg when throwing up the dry food and for other times it was only a quick shooting out with slight sign of it.

About eating too much at one time, he usually has half to three quarters of canned food twice a day,and it has worked well for 1.5 months until vomiting started. Could this still be a concern?

Thanks again for helping!

I highly doubt that switching him back to wellness canned (canned is digested so much easier than dry) would cause vomiting, however it may be from the amt of food he is eating at one time. You did mention though that it is now monitored right?

Is there anything in the vomits at all that you can see besides the undigested dry food?

1) no, that would be a rediculously long time to adjust to food, especially canned wellness.
3) Eye discharge is also related to food allergies (believe it or not) however it is likely a minor flare-up from his uri. You don't mention how you are giving the lysine.
4) Based on what you describe, although you are not specific enough in exactly what foods you are feeding, what was his before foods, what are they now? Name brand, no judgements ever.
The biggest concern would of course be the ingestion of something not food related, causing an onbstruction, although he is able to eat fine sometimes it sounds like. If he is able to eat dry food without vomiting, it is unlikely to be an obstruction.
Also, when he vomits, how does he do it? Wretching many times like regurgitating food, or a quick barf up, not much signs that it will be happening except maybe a couple of "about to vomit" type movements, or projectile, shooting it out?

It doesn't sound like an illness related problem unless there are mild symptoms that you aren't noticing, maybe sleeping more, less active, possible fever, etc?

It sounds more food based, once you say exactly what he is eating now and before, might be helpful in determining the possible case.

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Vball!
Thanks for your suggestion on feeding smaller portions, the only puzzle here is I try to make wet food the dominant part of his diet and since I have to work, I can only feed him in the morning and evening, therefore lettinghim eat as much as possible for each meal. It had been the norm for one month and half before the holiday season started, until later i've been feeding him sporadic smaller meals since I was home all day. That might have changed the way his stomach worked, and when he is back on big meals it couldn't take it. Just a thought.

I'm glad you have a vet appointment on Monday. I'm not sure what's going on, but it doesn't seem likely to be related to the cat grass since that should be out of his system by now. I also don't think it's related to the herpes virus if that's what you're giving the lysine for. The regurgitation may be the food transition, the food itself, or eating too fast. I would try smaller portions, fed more frequently, or even the same portion, split out into 2-3 portions about 10 minutes apart.

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Correction - I meant to say he used to have wellness core kitten formula canned and dry for a month when we/first got him, so I doubt he's having no problem with these two particular types of food.....he has been on the same dry for the whole time and it was not until a week ago when he vomited it.

Hi catwomen707,

Thanks very much for replying, hopefully the following answers can help you come up with some thoughts.

The vomit today was food-colored water/bile, and I did not observe anything other than the undigested dry food last time. He used to have Evo (kitten and adult) canned plus wellness core kitten formula dry, before transiting to wellness core kittwn formula canned, he had two days of natural balance duck and green pea canned since we were out of Evo. he used to have wellness core kitten formula dried for a month or so when we first got him and was fine,this is why I wasn't doubting the food much.

I feed him 500ml l-lysine a day, split in half for morning and night.

The way he vomited are both - he wretched a couple of time with heavy meowimg when throwing up the dry food and for other times it was only a quick shooting out with slight sign of it.

About eating too much at one time, he usually has half to three quarters of canned food twice a day,and it has worked well for 1.5 months until vomiting started. Could this still be a concern?

Thanks again for helping!

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Catwoman,

Correction - on my previous response I meant to say he used to have wellness core kitten formula canned and dry for a month when we/first got him, so I doubt he's having no problem with these two particular types of food.....he has been on the same dry for the whole time and it was not until a week ago when he vomited it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly??...I have some doubt it is the foods now. It MAY still be, but in my opinion his diet is pretty darn good, no drastic changes with crappy foods, not at all.

Green pea and duck is a limited ingredient food as well, which wouldn't tend to upset his system at all.

I'm very glad he is going to the vet monday, and for now I would feed him what he usually doesn't vomit up, canned? Just so dehydration isn't an issue and he is getting nutrition.

His behavior is fine?? No changes at all? Has he been dewormed? Is he flea treated?

I would def. keep an eye on him until the vet visit, they will give him an anti nausea shot likely, but that basically will help settle his tummy but not get to the root of the problem.

Now that I think of it, perhaps it would be a good idea to go back to feeding the green pea and duck canned only, it will help settle him down for the weekend.

Vomiting water is concerning.

Be certain he doesn't have access to ANYTHING poisonous around. He is still a curious kitten after all, just to rule that out. Just a scope out on everywhere he has access to during his days. Houseplants? Outdoors at all?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not clear on how often he vomits recently, but it's always an option to help settle his upset tummy down and a very easy to digest food is chicken only baby food. Add a bit of water to it.

This is pretty much if he vomits regularly eating his normally fed food.

Yeah, it's concerning. Cats don't vomit repeatedly unless something is up. An occasional hairball, or grass, but not 6 times in 2 weeks or water.....

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His behavior is fine, active, sleeps a couple of hours during the day time and plays pretty hard other time. What does it indicate when cat vomits water? Color is dark brown food color.

I'm not clear on how often he vomits recently, but it's always an option to help settle his upset tummy down and a very easy to digest food is chicken only baby food. Add a bit of water to it.

Yeah, it's concerning. Cats don't vomit repeatedly unless something is up. An occasional hairball, or grass, but not 6 times in 2 weeks or water.....
Correction - I meant to say he used to have wellness core kitten formula canned and dry for a month when we/first got him, so I doubt he's having no problem with these two particular types of food.....he has been on the same dry for the whole time and it was not until a week ago when he vomited it.

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has ringworm, dewormed, and we applied revolution on him for flea and other parasites.

Correction - I meant to say he used to have wellness core kitten formula canned
Honestly??...I have some doubt it is the foods now. It MAY still be, but in my opinion his diet is pretty darn good, no drastic changes with crappy foods, not at all.
Green pea and duck is a limited ingredient food as well, which wouldn't tend to upset his system at all.

I'm very glad he is going to the vet monday, and for now I would feed him what he usually doesn't vomit up, canned? Just so dehydration isn't an issue and he is getting nutrition.

His behavior is fine?? No changes at all? Has he been dewormed? Is he flea treated?

I would def. keep an eye on him until the vet visit, they will give him an anti nausea shot likely, but that basically will help settle his tummy but not get to the root of the problem.
Now that I think of it, perhaps it would be a good idea to go back to feeding the green pea and duck canned only, it will help settle him down for the weekend.

Vomiting water is concerning.

Be certain he doesn't have access to ANYTHING poisonous around. He is still a curious kitten after all, just to rule that out. Just a scope out on everywhere he has access to during his days. Houseplants? Outdoors at all?
and dry for a month when we/first got him, so I doubt he's having no problem with these two particular types of food.....he has been on the same dry for the whole time and it was not until a week ago when he vomited it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks.

Well basically/in a nut shell, water has nothing what-so-ever that will cause a cat to vomit unless there is something going on where his tummy will not accept anything, including water.

Perhaps it was residual from the last tummy upset or vomiting, but not likely.

So darn hard to say, so it's very good to be taking him to the vet in a couple days.

So I just did some digging around about the possibility that the vomiting is caused by the l-lysine.

It is quiite well tolerated generally, however I did read that occasionally it can cause vomiting in cats, like regularly.

It wouldn't hurt to stop the lysine for now, if nothing else to rule that out as a possible cause.

Perhaps your kitty has a sensitive system, perhaps the cause is as simple as the adjusting his diet and now the lysine. It's another possibility.

Also, what is the ringworm meds/treatment he is on?

Last edited:

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About poisonous substances,the only thing I can relate to in my apartment is the bed comforter he suckles everyday....he has this suckling and threading habit from early weaning, and I wonder whether the color pigment of the fabric has any poisoning effects. The kitten is indoor only and updated on shots.

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Catwoman for your help, trmensously helpful!

Currently nothing for ringworm yet, we just got the culture result a few days ago and haven't got a chance to pick up the meds. Will stop lysine for now, even though i doubt that reason since he was fine on lysine when we gave him that before and he did not have lysine when he vomited before.

I just heard an interesting point - a cat can gain food allergy to the same page protein type he has been having (). could it be that case? Both Evo and wellness are chicken and turkey based. I'm hesitant to feed him natural balance again since he might vomit again due to food transition.....

Thanks.
Well basically/in a nut shell, water has nothing what-so-ever that will cause a cat to vomit unless there is something going on where his tummy will not accept anything, including water.
Perhaps it was residual from the last tummy upset or vomiting, but not likely.
So darn hard to say, so it's very good to be taking him to the vet in a couple days.

So I just did some digging around about the possibility that the vomiting is caused by the l-lysine.
It is quiite well tolerated generally, however I did read that occasionally it can cause vomiting in cats, like regularly.
It wouldn't hurt to stop the lysine for now, if nothing else to rule that out as a possible cause.

Perhaps your kitty has a sensitive system, perhaps the cause is as simple as the adjusting his diet and now the lysine. It's another possibility.

Also, what is the ringworm meds/treatment he is on?

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten is a Maine coon weighing 7 lbs, perfectly active, eats well and nothing seems to be wrong with the stool. Vet also checked his heart and lung two weeks ago and they are both clear. He does have ringworm though. My questions are the following:

1. Could new food adjustment last as long as 2 weeks?
2. How much of it can be related to the cat grass that he had? To us everything seems to start with the catgrass, and he only had it once.
3. He has been having some eye goop for a while and we think it might be related to the URI he had 1.5 months ago. I started to give him some lysine the day before yesterday in prevention of another flare-up, could it be related to today's vomiting?
4. Based on my description, what could be the possibilities? Anything I should be worried about?
5. I have made an appointment with the vet on Monday, what do I need to know before going?

Many thanks!
1,  I doubt it is the new food, adjustment usually lasts maybe 7 days at the longest.

2.  Sometimes eating grass can cause them to throw up, however it wouldn't last this long

3.  Sometimes if they have a respiratory infection they can get sick enough to throw up, but you said he is acting otherwise normally?

4.  Cats can get things like the flu etc, and since he is eating/drinking normally I don't think it is too worrisome, but should get checked out by the vet.  Sometimes cats will throw up if they eat too much or too fast, is he a fast eater?

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi cprcheetah,

Not that fast but def eats a lot,and he has been active. Today I fed him around 10:30 in the morning, played feather toy with him for around thirty mins before he threw up. He does seem to be having a uri flare up because of the eye goop, but shouldn't be sick enough to the extent of vomiting.

1,  I doubt it is the new food, adjustment usually lasts maybe 7 days at the longest.
2.  Sometimes eating grass can cause them to throw up, however it wouldn't last this long
3.  Sometimes if they have a respiratory infection they can get sick enough to throw up, but you said he is acting otherwise normally?
4.  Cats can get things like the flu etc, and since he is eating/drinking normally I don't think it is too worrisome, but should get checked out by the vet.  Sometimes cats will throw up if they eat too much or too fast, is he a fast eater?

chenxiaoshuai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now in just remember, when he puked undigested dry food last time, there was human hair...