Kitten Very Drowsy After Worming Tablet

NicAndBizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has worms, ( Tape worm it appears to be ) so I got some wormer from Pets at Home and followed the instructions to give half a tablet based on his weight, and now Bizzy is very drowsy and isn't eating or drinking much. ( Water is readily available for him )

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both lethargy and decreased appetite are possible side-effects of deworming treatments, although they are more rare. When did you administer the medication? If he is still lethargic and not eating or drinking much after 48 hours, I'd call the vet just to be on the safe side. Should he stop eating and drinking entirely, TAKE HIM IN on an emergency basis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NicAndBizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both lethargy and decreased appetite are possible side-effects of deworming treatments, although they are more rare. When did you administer the medication? If he is still lethargic and not eating or drinking much after 48 hours, I'd call the vet just to be on the safe side. Should he stop eating and drinking entirely, TAKE HIM IN on an emergency basis.
Was only at 4pm this afternoon, but it came on quite quick so I was a bit concerned. I managed to get some food in to him tonight and some treats. Now he's cuddled up with the dog.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I THINK you will be ok, but do monitor this. If he gets worse, take him in. He ate, and that's the main thing for now.