Kitten URI

JeffH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 5 10 week old kittens that have a URI. I've seen this in many of the litters we've had before and never previously had to treat the kittens with an antibiotic but these guys don't seem to be kicking it. I can't afford a vet visit for 5 kittens so I called the Humane Society and they told me they used Doxycycline. I found some at PetSmart in 250mg powder packets but I don't know what dosage to give them or how to administer it. Has anyone worked with Doxycycline before? Please let me know, I hate seeing these little guys suffer.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've copied a couple of posts, hopefully the third one in particular will be of some use, and hopefully the posters see this. Hang in there!!

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I were to go that route which I have, I'd buy the capsules on the net, calculate the dose using a milligram scale, and place the powder into smaller gelatin capsules.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JeffH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've copied a couple of posts, hopefully the third one in particular will be of some use, and hopefully the posters see this. Hang in there!!

Thanks for the reply. One of them is worse off than the rest and isn't eating. These packets are 250mg so I just kept halving it until I got to what I guessed to be 5mg and disolved it in water and gave it to her with a syringe. Hope it works. I hate to guess but I had to try something. Hopefully she pulls out of it. I read in that post that someone else had one that wasn't eating and used a syringe. Any idea what she was feeding her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JeffH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far so good. Everyone is eating and playing. Still have some eye discharge and a few sneezes but it's only day 3...