Kitten under my deck…how to trap to get spayed and possibly keep????

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Just noticed there is a kitten under my deck. Would like to trap and get it spayed , perhaps even to keep as a pet. Advice welcomed. Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Try stinky food, such as warmed tuna or Kentucky Fried Chicken. Be sure and watch the trap as much as you can - you may catch other critters. and alternatively you don't want the kitten or any other animal to be in the trap for too long.

Let us know how things go - we can help with any questions you have :)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What type of trap do you recommend? Thank you.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for making the effort to catch and tame this kitten. Your local shelter may be able to loan you a trap or there might be TNR programs in your area that could help. You want to cover the trap as soon as possible once the kitten is in it because that calms them down.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, try your local shelter. I have traps I buy at Tractor Supply, they seem to be the cheapest at 39.99 for a two-pack, a small and a large. they seem handy to have around, I have used them several times. Make sure you have a small blanket to cover the trap and keep it covered, to calm the cat, otherwise they panic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the replies. I will give this a try.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How kind of you to care so much about this little guy. Too many people just turn a blind eye - - so it’s always heartwarming to hear from someone who cares as much as you do about this little one. :cheerleader:

You’ve already gotten some great advice - and know you can always come here with questions (lots of our members are very experienced in using all kinds of humane traps). As several members pointed out - before you lay out money for a trap that you’ll (hopefully!) not need to use again. it’s a good idea to contact a local spay/neuter clinic or animal shelter, as many have traps to loan at an inexpensive rate or for a small deposit. And many spay/neuter clinics actually have people who can come help you trap if it’s your first time. Not every clinic has that capability, but I’d highly recommend seeing if that type of help’s available to you locally.

Is the kitten alone or are there littermates? Do you have any idea how old the kitten is? The size and age of the kitten can also be a factor in how to go about trapping.

I’d also like to add one ”tantalizing trap food” - - canned mackerel. We have great luck with that as it’s very smelly and the kitties often just can’’t resist! It can be found in most grocery stores where the canned tuna is located.

Please do keep us posted!