Kitten Unable To Walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mother_of_panthers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our neighbor found 2 abandoned kittens. We took them in. One is growing fast and healthy and the other has recently lost ability to walk completely. He was always smaller than his brother but now he has seemed to stop gaining weight. He is 3 lbs while his brother is 8 or 9lbs. I feed him with a syringe because he can barely stick out his tongue to lick the pate food I got for him. His teeth or jaw make a sound of nails on a chalkboard when he tries to chew.
He is alert most days he seems mentally normal just cannot get his legs to cooperate and walk. He has days where he can crawl a bit then back to skating by pushing his hind legs and sliding across the floor. I am going to ask the doctor about the prednisone on Monday. I read it helped another kitten with this issue. I have taken him to the vea few times but tests keep coming back negative. I feel so bad for my little guy. I feed him several times a day and have bought him a play pen so I know he is safe while I sleep at night and keep it in my room. I also get up several times per night to make sure he isn't laying in his own pee or poop. If I put him in the litter box he will use it. I dont know, vet did several tests I'm so worried about him. Anyone have any ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby! I have no idea, but would think it is time to ask your vet to consult with a vet internist or neurologist - or, at least help you find one in your area that you can take your little guy to. Perhaps, even a vet university might be another option, as they typically train on cases/matters often rarely seen by practicing vets.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
While I can't say what it is from not having directly observed him, I can tell you that it does not sound like CH. With CH, symptoms don't get better or worse, they aren't helped by medication, and they are present from birth, even if they are difficult to detect at a very young age.
I hope you find something that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother_of_panthers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor baby! I have no idea, but would think it is time to ask your vet to consult with a vet internist or neurologist - or, at least help you find one in your area that you can take your little guy to. Perhaps, even a vet university might be another option, as they typically train on cases/matters often rarely seen by practicing vets.
Running low on money for vet visits. I was looking to see if anyone has been through this and what happened. I saw a few posts with the same issue but they were from years ago and no info on the outcome was listed. I may have to start a go fund me for this little guy. I will do everything in my power to help him.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it all 4 legs or just his back legs that don’t work well? How old is he? Did he slowly get worse at walking or was it sudden?

Mother_of_panthers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it all 4 legs or just his back legs that don’t work well? How old is he? Did he slowly get worse at walking or was it sudden?
All 4 legs but he will push himself around using his back legs. The legs are responsive to touch as he will squeeze your finger with his front paw or push a bit with his legs. He is about 6 months old. He has always been much less playful than his brother. They were found together abandoned on a back road. He was always able to walk though. We can back from vacation early when the person watching them for us told us that he was drooling and wobbling around. This was on February 10th. We took him to the vet and ran tons of tests. He was very dehydrated and we thought he just missed us and I just brought him home and started talking care of him feeding every few hours Royal Canin. Well he started to walk within a couple days but then we had a bad storm here in Texas and we ran out of his royal canin and had to give him food of lower quality as it was all they had at the store. He stopped walking again and hasn't walked since. I received a message from the vet today saying he was positive for feline coronavirus. I am so confused though as I cant match up his symptoms with that disease at all. Also not sure if I said it in early post but he also drools uncontrollably when I feed him. His teeth scrap against each other as well. I am only feeding him soft foods at this time. The video was from Feb 23.
20210224_100559.jpg

Mother_of_panthers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All 4 legs but he will push himself around using his back legs. The legs are responsive to touch as he will squeeze your finger with his front paw or push a bit with his legs. He is about 6 months old. He has always been much less playful than his brother. They were found together abandoned on a back road. He was always able to walk though. We can back from vacation early when the person watching them for us told us that he was drooling and wobbling around. This was on February 10th. We took him to the vet and ran tons of tests. He was very dehydrated and we thought he just missed us and I just brought him home and started talking care of him feeding every few hours Royal Canin. Well he started to walk within a couple days but then we had a bad storm here in Texas and we ran out of his royal canin and had to give him food of lower quality as it was all they had at the store. He stopped walking again and hasn't walked since. I received a message from the vet today saying he was positive for feline coronavirus. I am so confused though as I cant match up his symptoms with that disease at all. Also not sure if I said it in early post but he also drools uncontrollably when I feed him. His teeth scrap against each other as well. I am only feeding him soft foods at this time. The video was from Feb 23.View attachment 371840
Sorry the video wouldn't post

Mother_of_panthers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found out that Lovey had feline coronavirus and we had to say goodbye to him yesterday. It was the most difficult decision but he was no longer even opening his eyes. Our hearts are broken but we know it was the right thing to do since there is no cure and we did not want him to continue suffering. Thank you all who wrote in to offer advice.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to read this news. We'll close the thread now out of respect for your loss, and invite you to post a tribute to your Lovey in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

MOD NOTE: Lovey's tribute thread is here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.