Kitten tummy issues

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, Lilly is 14 weeks old, I got her when she was 6 weeks old and she has been on 3 different foods. When we first brought her home it was very impromptu and late at night so I went to walmart and picked up some Iams Kitten food, I didn't notice any issues with this food. After the Iams ran out I wanted to switch to something healthier so we decided to go with Halo, first couple weeks no issues, then we brought home Luna, our maine coon kitty, and Shortly thereafter Lilly started having really loose wet stools and passing gas often. We figured the food was not sitting right with her and have finally settled on Merrick Chicken recipe which she seems to be tolerating better and her stools have hardened back up to normal. BUT, she is still passing gas ALL day long, and it is VERY stinky. Luna doesn't do this. What could this be? Could she still be having belly issues? Any input would help, thanks!!!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has your kitten been checked for parasites?  Kittens almost always have worms and usually need multiple de wormings.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lilly was dewormed and checked for worms at her 8 week kitten appointment, could she still have more? I even got the fecal exam done for her extra. Hmmmmm. :(

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Worming in kittens (& cats) generally need more than one deworming due to the life cycle of the parasite.  She also needs to be on a quality kitten food.  I really like Royal Canin kitten food and is what I've fed my last 2 kittens.  They liked both the wet and the dry.  Fancy Feast kitten is also good.

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will definitley take her in for a second deworming then, thank you. She is on Merrick's Cat/Kitten Chicken Recipe, it says on the bag it can be used for kittens as well. Merrick seems to be pretty high quality as it is a high protein low carb food with zero nasty fillers. Is that not good enough? She gets very sick anytime I offer her wet Fancy Feast, her bowel movements get liquid like.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Merrick's is pretty good.  I like their stuff.  I am not familiar with their cat & kitten food.  When they are young, I don't mind them being on a food with grain.  When Tumbles was a wee tyke, we fed him a grain free cat & kitten food canned and mixed the RC Kitten dry with a grain-free food.  It worked well for all of us.  If the deworming doesn't stop the gas, then my next suggestion is to work on her diet.  Something in the current food may not be setting well with her.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try adding some probiotics to help her gut get balanced. Also, offer her some canned plain pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix, because of the spices) so the fiber can also help her regulate her intestinal water.

And congratulations on your kitten AND on a Maine Coon - MC's are almost a separate species, really the "Border Collie" of the cat world. My MC, JC, even likes toddlers (they are entertaining with endless energy) and once "hitchhiked" in the plumber's van (didn't appear until the plumber got down at his next client's house and JC calmly followed him into the house. As a "working cat" as well as the quintessential family cat, MC's never cease to amaze me with their antics. I am sure that your MC is going to have so much fun playing with his "little sister"!

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The merrick is grain free, before this she was on Halo and having awful awful diahrea, almost liquid, since switching her stools have firmed up back to normal but she is still passing the smell gas all day long. I am assuming that would be from the worms?

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have tried pumpkin, and that did seem to settle her stomach and harden her stools back up. She was eating that for about a week. The gas we just can't get rid of, poor little thing. Luna, our MC seems 100% fine though, gaining weight, no tummy issues, I just wonder why Lilly is having such a hard time. We LOVE our maine coon, she is so precious. She is very different than her sister! She is the most calm and gentle cat I have ever known :)