Kitten to kitten introduction

Will Ward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I took on a 12 week old kitten from a girl at work and he is very affectionate and likes to play. So, I thought he would do well with a companion, so I got a 11 week old kitten. I've done all the steps, kept them separate, made sure they can smell each other, switched rooms and allowed them face to face time through a gate. After the final introduction, the new kitten always growls at him and hisses. He does slow blinks at her and generally keeps his distance. If he gets too close she will scratch him.

They're very different in their temperament, she is more reserved, more chilled and affectionate on her terms. He is inquisitive, high energy and affectionate. I'm worried I may have taken on two kittens with very different personalities and they might not be suited for each other.

Any advice?

Thanks

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My advice is to stop worrying about it. Two kittens this young will become friends EVERY SINGLE TIME. You don't actually even need an introduction process, although a few days in a safe room is still a good idea. Getting to friendship just takes time sometimes. Let the one hiss and defensively swat. Thats fine. Will get it out of the system soon enough. In less than a week, maybe just a day or two, they will likely be playing.

Two kittens this young is the easiest introduction in the cat world, and its just hard for it to go wrong. If something that seems troubling crops up, just check back in.

P.S. You don't really know what her personality will be yet. She is taking a little longer to settle in then he did, so she is anxious and it is impacting her willingness to be adventurous. Give her a week, maybe less, and she will likely be flying around wrestling with the other one.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I could not agree with A ArtNJ more. They're going to get along. Give them time. They may not, in fact, become besties, but regardless, the simple companionship of another cat will do them both a world of good. As young as they are, however, "besties" is probably in the cards somewhere down the line. Just be sure to get that spay and neuter done as soon as they're old enough, or they may end up far better "friends" than you'd hoped!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Will Ward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My advice is to stop worrying about it. Two kittens this young will become friends EVERY SINGLE TIME. You don't actually even need an introduction process, although a few days in a safe room is still a good idea. Getting to friendship just takes time sometimes. Let the one hiss and defensively swat. Thats fine. Will get it out of the system soon enough. In less than a week, maybe just a day or two, they will likely be playing.

Two kittens this young is the easiest introduction in the cat world, and its just hard for it to go wrong. If something that seems troubling crops up, just check back in.

P.S. You don't really know what her personality will be yet. She is taking a little longer to settle in then he did, so she is anxious and it is impacting her willingness to be adventurous. Give her a week, maybe less, and she will likely be flying around wrestling with the other one.
HI

Will Ward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi A ArtNJ

Thanks for the advice and reassurance.

Will Ward

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I could not agree with A ArtNJ more. They're going to get along. Give them time. They may not, in fact, become besties, but regardless, the simple companionship of another cat will do them both a world of good. As young as they are, however, "besties" is probably in the cards somewhere down the line. Just be sure to get that spay and neuter done as soon as they're old enough, or they may end up far better "friends" than you'd hoped!
Ok thanks for your help :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we're here for! OH, and once you have a few more days and a few more posts with us, you'll get an "EDIT" button!