Kitten to Good Home: More guidance please

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read Kittens to Good Home and learned some good tips. I have a slightly different situation I need some help on. I'll try to keep this post short; feel free to ask questions.

Question: where should two cats who don't know each other play?

A month ago I rescued Dahalia from under a car when it was really hot. Female; now around seven months old. Previously owned; a super friendly cat who love loves to play--and love you. She was spayed last week and is now ready to be adopted into a Fur-ever home.
I think Dahalia would do well in a home with another pet, and based on limited experience, she isn't afraid of other cats or dogs. A man responded to my Kitten Available ad; he is looking for a playmate for his newly acquired six month old male cat Moo. Man and Moo are coming over this weekend for a meet and greet with Dahalia.

Dahalia's safe room is in my master bedroom where she stays almost all the time. She explores other parts of the small townhouse when I am able to shut Ritz into a second bedroom (resident female cat, six years old).

Should I have Moo and Dahalia meet and play in a relatively neutral room, such as the living room/dining room, the second bedroom or even the master bedroom (where it would be a little crowded).

Also, how significant is it that Moo has nail clips (SoftPaws). Dahalia sometimes uses a cat tree/scratching post, sometimes the bedspread, mattress, sofa. I think the Man would probably put SoftPaws on Dahalia.

Finally, I've heard varying opinions about telling the potential adopter that you will take back the cat if it doesn't work out. That way you can protect the cat from being dumped;, on the other hand, the potential adopter may use that as an "out" if the going gets tough.

Thanks for any advice.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw Cindy! These rescue kitties always seem to find their way into your loving care even if temporarily. Thanks for saving her and getting her spayed. She is really, REALLY pretty. I would suggest having Dahlia and Moo meet in neutral territory such as the other spare room or LR or Dining room. I will mention, as you are probably aware, that kitties meeting this way, whether it goes great or not, is not sufficient enough to know if they will become BFF's. It does take time and patience once the newbie is brought home. Introductions need to be followed in the proper stages for a successful long-term and lifelong friendship. Still - I think no harm in the Man bringing over Moo for a little visit to meet Dahlia! Such a pretty name too. :heart3: If you can, and Dahlia will allow, try to clip the tips of her nails and see if she is willing to allow. Soft paws are just fine although I have never used them. I know of other people who use them with great success.

I would definitely do a home visit too. Might he give you a small donation for Dahila as well? Mention that this is non-refundable IF she were to be returned. It will show you that he is quite serious and that he at least has enough money to give towards her rescue/care and future possible vet care costs, etc. I think having him sign an adoption agreement is a show of good faith on both parties and you offering to take her back IF all else fails BUT that you will also help assist in proper intros, etc. to ensure that the transition and adjustment goes as smoothly as possible.

I also think you will get a "gut" feeling of the man when he comes over. :nod: You will probably know if this is a good match or not. BEST OF LUCK and keep us posted. :hugs: :vibes:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would seriously recommend that you visit HIS home to see what environment Moo exists in even before the meet and greet occurs. This will give you a good idea whether it's appropriate as well. A contract, as suggested by Feralvr, is always a stellar idea, along with an adoption fee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. Good point about the nails: her nails were recently clipped, I had help. Dahalia squirmed a lot but we three survived :) I'll mention that to the Man.
I am very timid by nature and while I see the sense, logic of a contract, I don't know I have it in me to ask him to sign one. This, coming from a legal secretary....And will offer transition help (and lots of plug for The Cat Site). Yes, to some degree I will go by my gut. And see how he treats Moo.
I do know he was away Wednesday and Thursday, and will ask, who took care of Moo while he was away? That will tell me a lot.
FWIW: My sister posted the ad at the government agency where she works. Although I don't know what the Man does, his job and salary are stable. In order to post ads for pets available for adoption, the ad has to say "free". That said, if the Man offers payment, a donation, I'll accept, and donate it to Rude Ranch where I volunteer. I and the vets were initially scared that Dahalia had a problem with her kidneys (excessive drinking of water) so she had to have two blood tests done, which was expensive. I've had pet insurance for Ritz so didn't realize how expensive blood work is.
I will definitely keep you posted.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A legal secretary, huh??!! :bigthumb: Well, you do what you feel comfortable with and I do think you will get a good feel for this guy once you meet him. :nod: DO keep us updated on the visit!! I really hope you give your approval and that he will be a forever home for Dahalia!! :cross: :vibes:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an update and to close this Thread.
Dahalia went to her Fur Ever home Sunday. Lovely couple, they wanted a playmate for their six month old male kitten, who they adopted from the Baltimore Animal Rescue and Care Shelter ("BARCS"). The shelter personnel suggested getting Moo a playmate; he gets anxious if he doesn't have enough to do. Good fit. And they already sent me a picture.
I'm happy for Dahalia; really really sad for me. I miss her a lot. She is everything Ritz isn't, can't be (sorry Ritz....)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have been checking in here!! SOOOOOO happy to see your wonderful update on Dahalia. Sounds like the PURRfect home, Cindy. Great work on your part and sorry about you missing her. It is always the way, huh?! Especially the sweet/darling ones, our hearts always will have a special spot for them. I am sure you will be getting pictures and updates. What a beautiful and happy ending - all thanks to you. :angel: :hugs: :hugs: :clap:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is being returned: Moo wants to play but Dahalia just hisses. (The owners said they couldn't keep them apart so I'm sure they were introduced to one another too soon.) AND it seems the wife may be allergic. So I am getting her back.
I am going to try to see if Ritz and Dahalia could get along. Frankly I'm not optimistic but I want to try. I feel like I'm getting a second chance.
I have a feeling I'll be posting a lot in the Behavior column.
As an aside, Dahalia will be a hard cat to transition to Prey Model Raw, although she does like wet food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like they expected instant bonding. At least they feel comfortable enough to return her. Poor gal - she'll be happy to be " home" again.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Introductions were done too quickly, I am sure. BUT, it just may be meant to be. :cross: Best of luck, Cindy !! :hugs: :hugs: Dahalia is surely a pretty girl and with proper, slow intros. her and Ritz may just be the perfect pair. :cross: :vibes:

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As soon as I read "we couldn't keep them [apart]" I knew introductions were way too soon. They are first time cat owners, so I believe they meant well.
I feel sorry for Ritz; she's had her world turn upside down, right side up, and then upside down again.
I have a screen door which I will put in place to begin the introduction process.
The right thing to do is to take Dahalia back; the Next right thing to do, well, still trying to figure that one out.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was probably the allergies that was most problematic for the couple.  My DD is allergic to cats and stayed with a friend for a couple of months who had a cat and her eyes were running and itchy and she was sneezing.  She lived on Claretin for a couple months.  Our cats don't seem to bother her at all.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, one can be allergic to one cat but another.
Dahalia being a kitten escapes sometimes from the master bedroom room for a brief time. Yesterday she walked into the kitchen, where Ritz was, and when Ritz was eating. Dahalia walked up to Ritz as if to sniff her, Ritz looked up, then kept right on eating :)
Today I grabbed Dahalia before she could escape, Ritz came closer, Dahalia seemed a little afraid but then laid down in a submissive position, and Ritz kept on looking at Dahalia, like, who/what IS this creature.
I may see how they interact in the larger room; my twin sister will be with me to assist if/when needed.
As an aside, Dahalia seems to be liking raw food more and more (prey model raw), before she would eat only one bite, but now will even eat liver. I think the key was my non-chalant attitude about it, like, here is some food, by the way, it's raw. I'm not rushing *that* either, though I hadn't realized how smelly and expensive some cat food is!