kitten tired don't eat, yellow diarrhea - home remedy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello so this poor kitten is the smallest out of 5, have about 4 weeks,developed yellow diarrhea before yesterday and is tired. i am not able to visit veterinarian. any home remedies?

Jdamon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had something like this just happen to my kitten at 13 week. Is he eating? If hes able to eat wet food and has the appetite, mix some organic pumpkin in with his wet food or try some cooked white rice to help stop diarrhea. If hes not drinking either, mix some water in with his wet food and itll be enough until he picks back up. Kittens can also have unflavored pedialyte which helps gives some energy back. Id also deworm him to make sure something isnt messing him up. Not to sound grim, but things move really fast in kittens and often take a turn for the worst if untreated! My 13 week old kitten started feeling better after about 6 days, but im not sure since yours is so young. Id definitely focused on getting him hydrated and making sure hes eating even a little bit daily. But id definitely reccomend going to a veterinarian if things dont improve soon or he hasnt eaten/drank anything in 48 hours!

Jdamon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had something like this just happen to my kitten at 13 week. Is he eating? If hes able to eat wet food and has the appetite, mix some organic pumpkin in with his wet food or try some cooked white rice to help stop diarrhea. If hes not drinking either, mix some water in with his wet food and itll be enough until he picks back up. Kittens can also have unflavored pedialyte which helps gives some energy back. Id also deworm him to make sure something isnt messing him up. Not to sound grim, but things move really fast in kittens and often take a turn for the worst if untreated! My 13 week old kitten started feeling better after about 6 days, but im not sure since yours is so young. Id definitely focused on getting him hydrated and making sure hes eating even a little bit daily. But id definitely reccomend going to a veterinarian if things dont improve soon or he hasnt eaten/drank anything in 48 hours!
I just noticed that your title says wont eat so my information is irrelevant!
For a kitten who wont eat, it becomes a little tough. Here are my recommendations;
Try heating up some wet food, or buy some meat baby food with no garlic or onions in it. Offer some chicken broth and water to him to try and rehydrate. The best thing that worked for our kitten was offering him wet food multiple times a day, and sitting with him while he ate little tiny bits. The other idea is to blend some cat food with water in a blender and give him that. Regardless of what you try foodwise, mix in water! The worst thing that can happen is for him to become dehydrated especially with diarrhea. Id also try a cat 'stew' or 'lickable treat' they call them. Its just liquid cat food in a pouch. Id also visit a feed store and get him a probiotic to mix into his food if possible. Good luck! Try and get to a vet!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He really needs a round of metronidazole, but definitely buy the clear, unflavored pedialyte and syringe it into the side of his mouth drop by drop.

Plain, cooked white rice is good. Pumpkin is good (canned, but not pumpkin pie mix), as is Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food.

Can you ask for a payment plan with a vet? I hope the other kittens do not get sick too!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
hello so this poor kitten is the smallest out of 5, have about 4 weeks,developed yellow diarrhea before yesterday and is tired. i am not able to visit veterinarian. any home remedies?
As Sarthur mentions, pedialyte is your friend here... Both as help for water and salt losses in this diarrhea, and also gives some nutrients, as pedialyte contains glucose sugar / dextrose.

If you dont have access to to bough pedialyte, you can make your own.

Can you get real glucose sugar / dextrose? If so, use it, and add a trifle kitchen salt. Minerale kitchen salt is best, but you can begin with common NaCl kitchensalt.

I you cant get real glucose sugar, you can use white caro syrup or honey. Say almost a tea spoon of this, a trifle salt, water as in a cup of coffee...

You can even put a droplet of this karo on the gum... It will dissolve itself in there, and give the kitten some quick energhy.

Observe, this is no remedicum. The kitten will still need help, preferably a good vet. But this will buy you some time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickmomcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello thank you all, the poor kitty died few moments ago totally weak, dehydrated, while 4 of her siblings are well and alive and strong. I made another post about possible causes, since this is repeating, please check that thread. thank you.
ps i gave her some food and fluids, but I couldn't do more and now when I went to check her, she was gone. so sad

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear the kitten didn't make it. It does sound like your cats are coming into contact with something very contagious and deadly. I'll link to your other thread here, so people watching this thread can follow the story. I hope you can get all your cats vaccinated before you have to go through any more heart break.

repeating Cat sickness leading to death - what could be cause?

We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten passes, so I'll lock this one now.

Rest In peace little kitten. Watch over your brothers and sisters.

:angelcat:

Status
Not open for further replies.