Kitten throws up at night

TravelSize

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I rescued a kitten back in October who was trying to play frogger on a busy street.
Lately she’s been throwing up at night and half eating it before I find it in the morning.
It’s like ground up food mixed with water, no bile.
She’s very energetic and is growing at a steady speed
She seems completely fine and I wouldn’t have known it was her if I hadn’t caught her in the act one night (we have four cats total).
It’s not every night but it almost seems like she does it when she’s in heat. We wanted her to grow a bit before getting her fixed to make sure we weren’t causing any issues or stunting her growth. All the other cats in the house are also fixed and everyone is restricted to inside only.
I wonder if she’s just over eating or eating too fast.
She’s been to the vet and they confirmed no health issues.
Any advise would be appreciated.
I’ve included a picture of when I brought her home and one I took the other day.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
We wanted her to grow a bit before getting her fixed to make sure we weren’t causing any issues or stunting her growth
Hi! Spaying her won't stunt her growth or cause issues - is your vet willing to spay her now?

Also, there are ways, such as putting a pingpong ball into her dish, or purchasing a dish specifically made to slow down gobblers that can help with her too-fast eating habit, if that's what is going on.

Have you changed her food? She's still growing and needs to eat as much as she wants of canned food with maybe a little kibble in the evening to help get her through the overnight hours.

kghia

Cat Lover & Shelter Volunteer
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that spaying her now wouldn't stunt her growth. My girls were born in October, fixed in February (so about 6 months) and the shelter I volunteer at fixes cats around 4 months depending on circumstances. 6 months is a pretty standard time to spay a kitten and the goal is really to do it before the cat gets in heat.

Are you free feeding? Is she possibly gorging herself at night and throwing it up a short while after? Can you maybe cut down on how much you leave out overnight, or spread the food out a little bit so she doesn't stuff herself silly in one sitting?

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got a cat who will guzzle down food - I imagine it's because she came from a litter of 8 and there was a lot of food competition early on. We use puzzle dishes or "slow feeder' dishes for dry food, and tamp the wet food down to the bottom of the bowl to slow down the eating process.

If we don't do this, she tends to vomit. It often looks like undigested piles of food with some stomach fluids, but I've read it can look more tube-like too.

You could try watching your kitten eat and see if she is eating very fast? Or trying some of the slow-feeding methods to see if that helps? She's a cutie!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
For my kitty who eats till she pukes, I agree with the slow bowls, mashing wet food to the bottom of the bowl. I also use a regular plate for dry food, and have it spread out evenly. This way, there's no chance for them to shovel it in.