Kitten throwing up/diarrhea, already been to ER vet

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, all. I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experiences with their kitten or immunocompromised cat.

Background: we’ve already been to the emergency vet, and we’re waiting to hear back on a fecal test. She’s on antibiotics for the next 5 days to help with any possible GI-related bacterial infections, and they gave her an anti-nausea med (just at the clinic, no arc for us to give her more). They ruled out Panleukopenia. She has been dewormed twice, once at 6 wks, once at 8 wks, and received first set of vaccinations. She’s now about 11 weeks old, and she’s a rescue kitten.

On Sat night, she vomited and had diarrhea. This continued until we took her to the ER vet on Mon. We immediately switched to a bland diet on Sun and withheld food Sat night. She was still playing and acting kitten-like, with no refusal of food. On Mon, she refused food, so we took her in.

The vet wasn’t sure what it could be other than a possible mysterious bacterial infection or a parasite like coccidia. Does anyone have thoughts? Experiences? The vet didn’t exactly give us a lot of info other than to say if it’s not better in two days, go back:-(. She’s not eating today, which I assumed she wouldn’t bc of the antibiotic. We are syringe feeding her water, carefully, but I’m worried that we need to do more. Like I said, she’ll go back in I’m two days, I’m just really hoping someone might have insights. She’s my baby!

Thank you!

Attachments

Kiwikinon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t help, but she looks adorable, I wish you Two the best ! It’s so hard to see a kitten sick :sniffle:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! It’s such a scary thing when they’re so young😣

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she still having diarrhea and vomiting? Is she eating anything yet? She needs nutrition. If nothing else, I would syringe feed her Kitten Milk Replacement as it contains nourishment, which water doesn't have. You might call your OWN Vet and see if they can get the info from the ER Vet, unless your personal Vet is closed due to the pandemic. I think personal Vets can give better service since they know you better. Just my opinion. Not that ER's don't have their place. they certainly do when your own Vet is closed.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did they do an x-ray? Was there any gas in her intestines or colon? I'm wondering if it's possibly gastritis.

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she still having diarrhea and vomiting? Is she eating anything yet? She needs nutrition. If nothing else, I would syringe feed her Kitten Milk Replacement as it contains nourishment, which water doesn't have. You might call your OWN Vet and see if they can get the info from the ER Vet, unless your personal Vet is closed due to the pandemic. I think personal Vets can give better service since they know you better. Just my opinion. Not that ER's don't have their place. they certainly do when your own Vet is closed.
Thank you for the reminder about calling my own vet and seeking out resources other than the ER Vet! I called my personal Vet first thing on Tues, and I was disappointed with my their response/lack of urgency:-(. They weren’t going to make time to see her until next Mon, and that clearly wasn’t going to be ok, so I took her back to the ER today. Ooofff.

The KMR, yes! I started feeding her KMR yesterday to make up for the lack of nutrition, as well as syringe-feeding her puréed, bland food. She still wasn’t eating enough, or all that interested.

I appreciate all your input❤

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they do an x-ray? Was there any gas in her intestines or colon? I'm wondering if it's possibly gastritis.
Thank you for the tip! They didn’t do an x-ray, and that’s something I’m now going to ask for when I hear back from the ER Vet. She has been in the ER since early afternoon.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
BE sure to give us an update as soon as you hear anything? We worry :frown: