Kitten Tails

Knjammin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother's cat recently had kittens and I'm a little worried about them.
3 of the four kittens have lumps near the ends of their tails and the skin on these areas is flakey and dry. One kitten in particular has about half the tail swollen with this and along the lump there's a thin band as if something had been tied around it and it feels like it may fall off eventually.
(I live in the middle of no where with the nearest vet within hours is an absolute butcher.)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Are these kittens inside or outside? Are these reactions from bug bites or something...?

You could try this from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

You can actually use a wash of chilled chamomile tea. The nice thing about this is that is it antibacterial, anti fungal, and amazingly soothing for ALL skin irritations. Buy the tea bags from your grocer's coffee/tea aisle, and make sure it is ONLY chamomile, no blends (that will be right on the main label). I recommend the commercial bags because they are ALWAYS made with German Chamomile, and the English variety that is common in gardens is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and apply with a clean cotton ball or similar.

Keep an eye on them in case they get fussy about eating.
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Knjammin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Are these kittens inside or outside? Are these reactions from bug bites or something...?

You could try this from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

You can actually use a wash of chilled chamomile tea. The nice thing about this is that is it antibacterial, anti fungal, and amazingly soothing for ALL skin irritations. Buy the tea bags from your grocer's coffee/tea aisle, and make sure it is ONLY chamomile, no blends (that will be right on the main label). I recommend the commercial bags because they are ALWAYS made with German Chamomile, and the English variety that is common in gardens is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and apply with a clean cotton ball or similar.

Keep an eye on them in case they get fussy about eating.
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)
They were born outside and had been out and about for a few days until they were found and brought in. Thanks for the advise!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my, it does sound unusual. I have to wonder what happened to these kittens. Are they inside the house now? How old are the kittens?

Do they have fleas?

Try the tea treatment recommended for now. Comb off any fleas daily.

Can you post a picture so we can see better what you mean?

Any plans to spay mama kitty after this litter?

I need to think more on this.

K Knjammin

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, kittens will "nurse" on their littermates tails, ears and paws. They can suckle so virgiously that it causes damage to the other kitten. Could one (or more) or your kittens be suckling on their siblings' tails?

Knjammin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my, it does sound unusual. I have to wonder what happened to these kittens. Are they inside the house now? How old are the kittens?

Do they have fleas?

K Knjammin
No fleas but I think they have ear mites. Their tails feel pretty stiff.

I'd like to get her spayed as its ridiculous that she's not. I'm here visiting right now and I'll see if I can convince my mom.

Do they have fleas?

K Knjammin
Yep they're inside. They're roughly two weeks Is my guess.
No fleas but I have seen signs of ear mites.

I'll see if I can convince my mom to go out and get her spayed soon.

Knjammin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes, kittens will "nurse" on their littermates tails, ears and paws. They can suckle so virgiously that it causes damage to the other kitten. Could one (or more) or your kittens be suckling on their siblings' tails?
It's possible but would this harden the tails?

Knjammin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Do they have fleas?

K Knjammin
20190815_174157.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wish I had more to offer, but I’m not sure what is going on with their tails. They will need to see a vet for ear mite treatment and worming, etc., so you’ll want to ask the vet.

Mama kitty should not be spayed until the kittens are 6-8 weeks old.

Knjammin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I had more to offer, but I’m not sure what is going on with their tails. They will need to see a vet for ear mite treatment and worming, etc., so you’ll want to ask the vet.

Mama kitty should not be spayed until the kittens are 6-8 weeks old.

The tea actually seems to be working well. The kittens like it too surprisingly. Or seem to, they stay quiet and mostly still. But the tails do seems a bit softer and smoothed so I'll keep this up.

In new, however, one has an eye that's shut for some reason. I'll try cleaning it with warm water?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The tea actually seems to be working well.

In new, however, one has an eye that's shut for some reason. I'll try cleaning it with warm water?
Thats great to hear, about the tea!!
Yes, warm water, its important to keep the eye open :vibes::crossfingers:

Knjammin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats great to hear, about the tea!!
Yes, warm water, its important to keep the eye open :vibes::crossfingers:
I just got back after being away from them for about four days my mom was supposed to be caring for the tails and didn't which has come to a bad result. The lumps are falling off the tails. One came off leaving raw skin on one kitten and the one with the worst tail looks mangled with puss coming out and its bloody. I put some stuff to numb it and cleaned it with warm water. I have a bit of betadine that I could use too

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any ordinary Neosporin? Not with painkillers or anyother variation? Ordinary Neosporin can be used on cats.

Knjammin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I said in the original post, 3 of the four kittens have messed up tails. One doesn't. I just found an area similar to the tails on his foot. From the top to in between two toes to some of the pad