Kitten tail degloving (2in)

Nikki cartledge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My daughters found a kitten crying stuck under a house next door, we saved him he was so small eyes barely open but he had a bad laceration on his tail small but deep and about 4 inches up his tail. I kept it medicated with antibiotics, two weeks into him joining the family his tail degloved. It’s about 2 inches on pink raw meat. I have called every vet within a 40 mile distance of me and honestly I don’t have the 79$ for the initial visit but everywhere says outrageous prices and says it could go up depending on the injury. My 3 year old daughter and 14 year old daughter love him already. His name is “stank” because when they got him freed from under the house he farted and my daughters said it smelled so bad they named him “stank”. I’ve read so many things that say it won’t heal on its own I’ve read that I’m a horrible person because I haven’t taken him anywhere, it’s been 18 days since it actually degloved. he’s lively running around playing like normal you can tell it hurts him when I clean it and every once and awhile I think he might have scratched it or caught it on something cause it’ll start bleeding not bad but it’s there. My daughters are attached and I’m crying as I write this now because it seems like there’s nothing I can do for him and I don’t know how I’ll ever explain this to the girls. Please bless this poor baby kitten Jesus. Stay with him and please show someone the thought or courage or compassion he needs someone please tell me what I can do to help him. Please don’t let stank die. If I had anyway possible to take him to a vet I would I honestly don’t even have the money for my entire light bill if I had a single extra dollar I’d do whatever it’d take to save him. Please someone tell me a single mother of two courageous, pet rescuing daughters what we can do to help him.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As hard as it will be, take him to a shelter/rescue organization. Sometimes saving an animal doesn't mean keeping it if you don't have the means to care for it ongoing. Some people put human children up for adoption and they get the support/care they need and go on to have beautiful lives. Please consider this!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You've done a wonderful job of keeping him alive so far, but he really needs medical treatment. If you can't afford the initial vet exam then handing him over to a shelter would be the best option. If you can take him to a vet, ask if they have any other options than paying the whole amount up front. You could start a fund raiser to cover the cost of amputation.

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life - TheCatSite

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Caring for a cat overall can be expensive though - aside from his current emergency. There would be his neuter, food, litter, other medical stuff down the line.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Can he move the tail?? Without an exam its very difficult to tell what his injury involves but more than anything it is very suseptible to infection and often enough can ultimately cost him his dear life,especially such a young one--- have you called your local rescue organizations to ask for help?I'd bring him to a no kill shelter and perhaps they can offer you assistance for medical care- many have Vets that work with them if you can afford to keep him they might have programs in your area to that help low income families to provide what pets need- food programs as well,I see you have a cat already at home.... do your research but waste no time in getting this baby medical attention

If no one will help you but will help the kitty you will have to explain to your own little children what love does- love sometimes hurts to hekp someone in need,love is selfless and love always provides

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The kitten does need medical care. I understand its a hard lesson for your children, but if the links dont help you fi d a way to afford it, the kitten needs to go to a rescue.

As someone who helped foster at a young age, i assure you, your children will recover. As its better to teach them this lesson, then to teach them its okay to ignore an animal's pain and keep them with you.

Cats can "become accustomed" to chronic pain for sure. Just as humans can. Or perhaps he's lost nerves in that area. But we certainly would expect youd be at the hospital with your child if their finger was degloved, so a cat's tail needs the same treatment. It's in danger of infection and complications that can end a young kitten.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have seen this injury in ferals and it can move into gangrene. What I have done is to have the tail amputated when this happens. It has been a few years since I have done this, or needed to I should say, but it is not a difficult procedure and should not be that expensive. If you contact a shelter or rescue, you might ask if this would be a possibility.

Low Cost Veterinary Care Directory
This is a nationwide directory of low cost vet care by state.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately this little kitten needs a tail amputation. It sucks and I know you don’t have the money. Hopefully you have some time though.

You need to blast this cute kittens face and plight on a go fund me and Facebook to get donations. He is cute and people love to give money in order to save something cute.
If you don’t mind sharing your location, ok to private message me, do so and I can look into what’s available as help to the area your in.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was 16yrs old a friend called me about a stray with 4 kittens behind her house,she called because some neighborhood boys were out there and the kittens were screaming - I ran over ,got into it with the boys but what they did was cut those little kittens tails off

Long story short we got thrm all to the dog kennel I was volunteering at because I didn't know any Vets,I was a kid- a Vet docked then properly,they were all treated and there was a happy ending

When I saw this little one my mind went back over 50yrs to those tiny kittens and the Vet telling us the incredible pain those babies felt and all the way there they didn't make a sound,you'd never know anything hurt at all.....

You're not a horrible person,you didn't know what to do but now you do- PLEASE get this baby the medical attention he needs

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, bless you and your children for taking care of this kitten. You shouldn't be shamed for your financial situation. I agree with all the advice that this kitten desperately needs medical care. I have seen a kitten (not my Bob) whose tail was somehow injured and she developed gangrene. This was something I witnessed as a teenager. I am almost sixty now and it still stays with me. I urge you to contact all rescues in your area to try to get help for this kitten. Around here, we even have a dog rescue that will occasionally foster a cat. I would think if any cat rescue saw what dire straits your kitten is in and understood your situation, they would be willing to help. Please keep us updated on this kitten. Your kindness is extraordinary, and it seems your children are taking after their mother. :hugs: