Kitten swallowed nipple tip, has a cold

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 2-week old kitten has bitten off the tip of the nipple and swallowed it. I am so worried. What should I do? Please help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A two-week old kitten does not usually bite the tip off. Does your kitten have teeth? Regardless, nipple tips usually pass in a couple days during a bowel movement. Do not feed with a bottle any longer. Use a needleless syringe.

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady
Thank you for your advice. It is a relief, but I am still worried until she pass the nipple. I fed her with milk in a bowl with some boiled liver, and she ate them.

I rescued these two kittens from the roof of my house 10 days ago on a pouring rain. They developed URI and currently having colds. My vet advised me to give them BronCure. One of them is still having a clogged nose and has lost her appetite. I am force-feeding her with 3ml of milk every hour. Is it enough? She is getting thin already. Thank you in advance. God bless you :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does the vet advise antibiotics?

How much does the kitten weigh and I can tell you how much to feed.

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does the vet advise antibiotics?

How much does the kitten weigh and I can tell you how much to feed.
I don't have a scale so I don't know how much she weighs. Probably more or less than 100 grams. I am attaching their pics below. Celine is the one having a clogged nose and has no appetite. She is the one I am force-feeding with 3ml milk (and 2ml water just now). Tina is the one who swallowed the tip of the nipple. Tina is eating well. I am hoping that these two kittens will survive. I am doing the best I can. I appreciate your kind concern very much. God bless you.

01 CELINE AND TINA.jpg

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a scale so I don't know how much she weighs. Probably more or less than 100 grams. I am attaching their pics below. Celine is the one having a clogged nose and has no appetite. She is the one I am force-feeding with 3ml milk (and 2ml water just now). Tina is the one who swallowed the tip of the nipple. Tina is eating well. I am hoping that these two kittens will survive. I am doing the best I can. I appreciate your kind concern very much. God bless you.

View attachment 336567
Hello again,

Can a kitten survive a cold if given the right medication and care? My vet gave me Broncure that I administer to them every 12 hours. I have been given them 4 times already since yesterday. I am still force-feeding Celine with 3ml milk and 2ml water every hour. Tina's appetite is okay. I also steam them two times a day. I also expose them to sunlight every morning. Is there anything else that I need to do so they will survive? Waiting for your reply. Thank you again.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious - what kind of milk are you feeding Celine and Tina? Cow's milk is not good for cats of any age, kitten or adult. Goat's milk is recommended by some expert members but may be difficult to find. KMR - kitten milk replacer - PetAg brand - may be easier to obtain from a pet store. Powdered is preferred to premixed liquid, just mix as needed.

But if the kitten is able to eat from a bowl she sounds older than 2 weeks.

And sitting with her in a steamy bathroom a couple of times a day will certainly help loosen all that gunky congestion.

You are doing so well for these two little furballs! Keep up the good work.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens recover from colds. Do your kittens have their baby teeth yet?

The vet should have weighed your kitten. Call the vet office and ask her weight.

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm curious - what kind of milk are you feeding Celine and Tina? Cow's milk is not good for cats of any age, kitten or adult. Goat's milk is recommended by some expert members but may be difficult to find. KMR - kitten milk replacer - PetAg brand - may be easier to obtain from a pet store. Powdered is preferred to premixed liquid, just mix as needed.

But if the kitten is able to eat from a bowl she sounds older than 2 weeks.

And sitting with her in a steamy bathroom a couple of times a day will certainly help loosen all that gunky congestion.

You are doing so well for these two little furballs! Keep up the good work.
I bought a pet milk from pet store thats called Cosi. It's lactose free, UHT, and homogenized. It's good for cats and dogs.

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens recover from colds. Do your kittens have their baby teeth yet?

The vet should have weighed your kitten. Call the vet office and ask her weight.
Hi. Yes they have their baby teeth already. I can't go to the vet clinic due to lockdown. I am communicating with the vet through phone. I really hope they will recover. I am so sick worried already. I'm very sad for them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since they have their baby teeth, they are at least 4 weeks old. Most vets are seeing pets by taking them at curbside while you wait in the car. Will your vet not see them this way?

Most kittens this age weigh a pound. I don’t know if yours do, but the kitten you are syringe feeding needs more than 3mLs per feeding. I suggest you feed her 10-12 mLs every 3 hours. You can make a gruel of wet cat food and milk for both of them. See if she will begin eating on her own soon.

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those kittens are at least 4 weeks old. They might be biting the nipple because they are craving more than just formula. Try making a slurry of formula with a bit of chicken pate kitten food, warm but not too hot. Try feeding this from a dish or from your finger.
Nipple should pass out of them fine.

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since they have their baby teeth, they are at least 4 weeks old. Most vets are seeing pets by taking them at curbside while you wait in the car. Will your vet not see them this way?

Most kittens this age weigh a pound. I don’t know if yours do, but the kitten you are syringe feeding needs more than 3mLs per feeding. I suggest you feed her 10-12 mLs every 3 hours. You can make a gruel of wet cat food and milk for both of them. See if she will begin eating on her own soon.

Hi,

I called another vet yesterday, and he prescribed to give them Amoxicillin syrup and Vitamin B12. After giving them the meds in the afternoon, Celine has started to feed on her own today. Is this a good indication? Thank you.

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I called another vet yesterday, and he prescribed to give them Amoxicillin syrup and Vitamin B12. After giving them the meds in the afternoon, Celine has started to feed on her own today. Is this a good indication? She still looks weak though. Thank you.

pbcates25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One year ago, I rescued Celine and Tina from my roof in the pouring rain. Today, this is how they look. All full grown. I named them Celine and Tina after my late aunt, only to realize later that they were both males lol.
08 Celine and Tina May-19-2020.jpg
09 Celine and Tina May-19-2021.jpg