Kitten Swallow A Piece Of Yarn

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten just swallowed a piece of yarn. It was about 3 inches in length. She seems fine, I made her drink some water.

Should i take her to the vet?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To ease your mind, I would call your vet, and see what they advise.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Time for poop patrol. If she starts throwing up, becomes lethargic or goes into hiding, or stops eating or pooping, she needs to go to the vet immediately. Start watching her poops and look for the string to pass. If by any chance you see it hanging out of her body, do NOT pull on it. Get her to the vet immediately as pulling it can cause complications.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To ease your mind, I would call your vet, and see what they advise.
I did and the vet recommended to let the yarn pass. But if my kitten is throwing up, letheragic, or have trouble going to the bathroom then I need to go to the vet immediately.

So far, I fed her wet cat food and gave her some water. She was playing with her brother earlier and now she’s sleeping. So I think she’ll be alright. But I’m keeping a close eye.

Also, I gave her a probiotic to help.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad you called the vet. Professional advice is always best.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can add a little bit of plain canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling!) to wet food to help move things along. If you can find pumpkin, you can use plain squash baby food, no garlic, onions, or other veggies or meat added.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet what was the shortest string he got out of a cat at surgery. He said about six inches, so I don’t worry much about shorter threads. Of course, you still need to pay attention if the cat is sick.

MichelleP224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All good advice^

But just for future referance, (I don't know the situation) yarn does not make a good toy for kitties. If you have any toys with strings or yarn, please don't let your kitties play with them anymore.
Hope she is doing good! :D

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also beware thin electrical cables such as ear buds, iPads, etc. I don't know about eating the cables, but cats will bite through the cables. Also, some catskill men try to chew through a/c power cords.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All good advice^

But just for future referance, (I don't know the situation) yarn does not make a good toy for kitties. If you have any toys with strings or yarn, please don't let your kitties play with them anymore.
Hope she is doing good! :D
Actually it was a toy with yarn in it! I immediately threw away everything string, yarn, this foil looking toy they love (crinkle) I’m not going through this again.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I asked my vet what was the shortest string he got out of a cat at surgery. He said about six inches, so I don’t worry much about shorter threads. Of course, you still need to pay attention if the cat is sick.
That’s good to know. I’m still waiting for the string to pass. I think she had to vomit early but kept swallowing it back down.

The hard part is that she doesn’t poop much either. Maybe every other day. So this is going to be a long wait.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A long wait is right! Long and anxious :) She might still vomit it up. My Frangi threw up the roast string she ate two days later. That was an anxious two days :(

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A long wait is right! Long and anxious :) She might still vomit it up. My Frangi threw up the roast string she ate two days later. That was an anxious two days :(

Agreed! I gave Missy some pumpkin this morning. So I'm going to wait a day or two and see what happened.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So here’s an update. Missy swallowed yarn on Sunday. She hasn’t poop’ed it out yet. Nor does she appear to be uncomfortable. I may give her a probiotic tomorrow just to see if anything comes out.

She has been pooping for the last few days. (Amazing I can tell the difference between which cat poop or pee).

Now I’m wondering if I saw her swallow it. She had a few pieces in her mouth.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's quite possible that she didn't swallow it, but just chewed a bit of it and the fuzz was on her mouth. I would say that because she is still pooping and you've not seen it that all is well.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's quite possible that she didn't swallow it, but just chewed a bit of it and the fuzz was on her mouth. I would say that because she is still pooping and you've not seen it that all is well.
I don’t think she swallowed anything. It’s been a week and she has poop’d, playing, attacking her brother....she’s fine.

Thank God!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think chances are she either didn’t swallow anything or she pooped it our and you didn’t notice. Either way, if she’s doing all her kitty things and seems fine, then most likely she is fine and you can stop worrying. Yay! Congratulations!