Kitten suddenly sick

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning miss Victoria refused her yummy mousse and there was also vomit and a stinky poo smell. I seperated Binti from her and kept an eye out.
She was completely fine yesterday and now as soon as she gets a bit of food (I fed her some nutribound) she almost immediately vomits.

My worst fear is panleuk(we've had an outbreak in the area few times now in 2 biggger cities). I will consult a vet but I just wanted to get some opinion if any of you think it could be panleuk or something else...if it is panleuk my cats are doomed by the way...:ohwell:

Victoria stopped eating today, she gets mousse twice a day, wetfood for kittens ones, about 30 grams and free access to kitten dry food all day. The last 2 days she was playing in the main pop with adopted sisters and brothers(5 kitten in total) for a few hours and at night she slept with Binti as they like eachother.
She has stinky poo, vomits after feeding, looks very sad. No fever. She has been de-wormed and de-flead recently.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What color is the poop? She may need a round of Metronidazole to cure intestinal bacterial infection and parasites. An anti-nausea med would also help.

Do not automatically assume panleuk. It could be any number of other things. Even a positive SNAP test can be wrong if she is under 6 months old.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I asked the vet but no response yet. Luckily I do have a small apothecary cabinet and I gave her some Metacam and fed her 0.5 ml nutribound a couple of times. Put a heat mat in there and just now she wanted out and started playing with my fingers through the cage, also she was grooming. Poop is dark brown and smelly, kind of acid, but not the typical giardiasis smell.

With the outbreaks of panleuk so close to home, me having been in those cities and it being contagious, it is one of my worst fears. And I know bringing in kittens is risky too but I couldn't leave them.

Panleuk and FIP are my no 1 nightmares..sadly I have had to deal with FIP too many times someone would have too and when a cat's sick and definitely a kitten, all my alarm bells go in overtime

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have access to pedialyte? Such flavorless for babies?
This is often the trick in many bad situations. For example, when a kitten or child has the vomiting flu; and vomits immediately as soon it has eaten or drinking something, the trick is to give just a few drops at a time, but often... This way the stomach never notices there is new fluid inside... But the fluid and some glucose sugar comes into the system...

Next step could be goats milk... its mild and its nourishing...

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use this REBOUND® Recuperation Formula for Cats but here it's called Nutribound.
I gave her Metacam and she's completely ok today:dunno: eating, playing everything.

It's weird, a week ago the oldest kitten, Moortje, felt under the weather but she had a fever. I panicked, called the vet and first thing they asked was if she had been dewormed. Moortje did get Revolution but no full dewormer.
Ordered, administered and dewormed the other kittens as well. Next day Moortje was back to her energetic self..

And now Vicky looks like she's gonna be seriously ill and she's fine after a day with minimal medication. Don't get me wrong I'm happy it doesn't seem to be anything serious but I am suspicious.
I'm at max capacity and wasn't supposed to take in any more cats and I'm worried something will happen, so when one of those little baby's(or the big baby's) get sick I just go into overdrive imagining the most horrible diseases

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another kitten has fallen ill. Same symptoms, not eating, throwing up, he looks a little depressed even, poor guy.
I started him on the same treatment as the other ones, metacam and nutribound.

I am just wondering what kind of virus this is, it seems to flare up in a different kitten every few days and symptoms are the same and it's like they disappear as quickly as they arose.

I really hope it skips Binti...she's still smol...850 grams now, growing slowly

Attachments

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And Lucifer's brother is feeling very under the weather but this is a different bug. He was not fine within a day:nervous:.
Plus his nose is twice the size it should be🙀. He does have the diarrhea and the puking but also trouble swallowing and his nose of course.
He's on antibiotics now and I force-fed him a bit which he hates with a passion...poor little Maze..
Below a picture what he looks like, I'll see if his nose is still so large tomorrow

Attachments

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is him today. He's running a high fever and trembles. Have to force feed him because he will not touch his food.

I was just wondering, could these symptoms be related to the fact they murdered my 2 zebrafinches 2 days ago(one of them managed to get in the birdcage...)? Because he's been like this since then.
The finches weren't eaten but they did chew on one of them, the face was unrecognisable

Attachments

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did. The vet couldn't see a relationship between the mauling of the finches and him being ill unless he had really eaten a finch with bones and all.
The only thing I could do was give him antibiotics, metacam and keep food in him.

He is still alert though and complains about being in solitary confinement. I've only had him for about a week or 2 but I'm amazed about how he will let me comfort him. He hates the feeding but it's the only way right now until the meds kick in.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
His fever broke but he's got these spots now. Could they be because his fever broke or something else?
IMG_20220828_120712.jpg
IMG_20220828_120736.jpg
IMG_20220828_120756.jpg

Other than that he's looking very chipper today IMG_20220828_120703.jpg

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No he's been on his own the last 2 days or he did it himself.
My intuition would be it's because of the virus and the fever breaking. But I was just wondering if anyone had seen it before or if it looked contagious:think:

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve not seen this before. If it does not improve soon or gets worse, please see a vet. It may be a reaction from the fever as you mentioned.