Kitten suddenly feeling ill

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
so i didn't get a call back today like they said they would. I feel that either he might've passed away before any treatment could happen, or i might've written down my contact number incorrectly.. i will call tomorrow first thing.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try asking the vet if they accept Paypal or Venmo donations. Or you can ser up a PayPal account yourself and see if anyone is willing to donate
who would be the people donating? i have both but i feel weird asking for money since i consider all my backyard cats mine
I feel like i should start an Instagram account highlighting my cat life, maybe later on become an animal rescuer. Then i could ask for donations, but i must get my life and career together first

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel about accepting money since it would be coming from strangers. Also,. depending on the amount,.some states want groups to be licensed and taxed as rescues. By directly donating to the vet, it is more a situation of friends and family (or concerned people able & willing to help) being a resource for a cat or kitten to get vet care.
It is very hard to wait to hear from the vet. No matter the outcome, you will be getting valuable information about what might have happened. Please let us know as soon as you find out :fish:

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I called just now and the doctor said that he wasn’t looking good, said he tested positive for feline panleukopenia (distemper), his temp and sugar levels were bad (or something like that I was shocked when he told me this was a very contagious disease). I remember giving the FVRCP vaccine to some cats but not him for fear that too many vaccines could’ve killed him. I’m scared to death about my other cats, they all looked healthy and were eating last night.. what would y’all do regarding my other cats? And because they close at 12pm I have to make my mind up to either transfer him to a 24/7 hospital or put him down.. I’m not giving up

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Likely all your cats are already exposed to the virus. Immune support is your best bet - you can ask the vet about giving them L-lysine and probiotics. Or consult a holistic vet. His age is encouraging - my country vet says getting past the 10 weeks old mark is a big step in the right direction. She and I use a combination of modern and traditional treatment that uses antibiotics, probiotics and herbs & supplements. I have a few kitties who overcame the disease of the year and they tend to be more prone to digestive & respiratory issues for the next few seasons but outgrow it until they get elderly. There is a saying: "It's not the dog in the fight that counts, it's tje fight in the dog" and that applies to people and kitties, too.
You have already shown that you are made of strong stuff; now it's time to see if your little guy still has fight left in him or if it's time to return to our Creator and the ancestors and those yet to be born. My little (size wise) cat Lance looks just like your little guy. Lance crashed several times as a tiny only a few weeks old; at 7 yrs, he crashed at the vets during treatment for pneumonia. It's been almost 2 years since our last big crisis; occasional steroid & antibiotic shots plus pureed food for his stomatitis keep him on track with doses of marshmallow root & slippery elm soothing residual symptoms.
Prayers for your little one; :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Likely all your cats are already exposed to the virus. Immune support is your best bet - you can ask the vet about giving them L-lysine and probiotics. Or consult a holistic vet. His age is encouraging - my country vet says getting past the 10 weeks old mark is a big step in the right direction. She and I use a combination of modern and traditional treatment that uses antibiotics, probiotics and herbs & supplements. I have a few kitties who overcame the disease of the year and they tend to be more prone to digestive & respiratory issues for the next few seasons but outgrow it until they get elderly. There is a saying: "It's not the dog in the fight that counts, it's tje fight in the dog" and that applies to people and kitties, too.
You have already shown that you are made of strong stuff; now it's time to see if your little guy still has fight left in him or if it's time to return to our Creator and the ancestors and those yet to be born. My little (size wise) cat Lance looks just like your little guy. Lance crashed several times as a tiny only a few weeks old; at 7 yrs, he crashed at the vets during treatment for pneumonia. It's been almost 2 years since our last big crisis; occasional steroid & antibiotic shots plus pureed food for his stomatitis keep him on track with doses of marshmallow root & slippery elm soothing residual symptoms.
Prayers for your little one; :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
unfortunately when i got there the vet had to tell me that the chances of him surviving were very little and recommended to put him down. I asked if i could take him to a 24/7 hospital and he recommended a specific one but he still was realistic with me that he wouldn't survive. so when gets the copies of the paperwork i try finding that clinic on my phone and my battery went from 10% to 0% in 30 seconds.. so i ask if i could call the other hospital and they were trying to help but at that point i just wanted directions. I got a brochure and the vet comes back with the kitten and hands me the paperwork and walks away and i had to pay the remaining $200 in the $800 bill. So my phone's dead, and i go to the gas station to try buy a car charger.. miserable idea that didn't work. And kitten makes his final soft noises of pain in my car and i had no way of finding directions to the hospital so I decide to drive home - 30 min. I come home and he's no longer breathing.. the whole way home i'm crying reminiscing all that he went through, from his bony underdeveloped kitten build with a raspy meow to a full healthy soulful kitten who followed me everywhere and purred everytime i walked by him. im in mixed emotions ..

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh nooo....I am sorry to read this news. Take a deep breath and give yourself a hug from me. I would place him "in state" in the yard and give your other cats a good while to sniff and see that he is gone. You want to be very, very sure that he is not just comatose.
His little body, tired and sick, simply said this far & no further. He knew what it was to have love and a real home. He knew you were fighting for him.
My heart goes out to you - I know exactly what you were going through, trying to charge your phone, get directions, etc. You did your best and Heaven knows how brave and fierce you were, with the heart of a warrior battling for the life of a kitten that was a community cat in a community that doesn't do enough. :soldier::soldier::agree::mad:
I hope that you will honor the little guy with a thread in the Crossing the Bridge forum, when you can. And tonight, look up at the sky for a sunset or sunrise & to the Night Sky Trail (Milky Way) that leads to Home. Again, I am so sorry it wasn't the end that we hoped and prayed for.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You definitely fought the good fight for your little boy, against pretty high odds at that. Once distemper gets a hold, it is hard to treat/recover. You gave him help and love during his life which no one else would have done and you have to hang onto that memory. Some of your other cats have the FVRCP vaccine, so they should have immunity but I agree with asking the vet for help with other suggestions to boost their immunity.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you and I want to thank you for fighting for that poor little feline. Distemper is a wicked virus that can quickly overcome cats, especially those who are little and weak.
Please find peace in the fact that he didn't die alone and afraid, he had you by his side when he crossed over.
I am sure he took immense comfort in that.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh nooo....I am sorry to read this news. Take a deep breath and give yourself a hug from me. I would place him "in state" in the yard and give your other cats a good while to sniff and see that he is gone. You want to be very, very sure that he is not just comatose.
His little body, tired and sick, simply said this far & no further. He knew what it was to have love and a real home. He knew you were fighting for him.
My heart goes out to you - I know exactly what you were going through, trying to charge your phone, get directions, etc. You did your best and Heaven knows how brave and fierce you were, with the heart of a warrior battling for the life of a kitten that was a community cat in a community that doesn't do enough. :soldier::soldier::agree::mad:
I hope that you will honor the little guy with a thread in the Crossing the Bridge forum, when you can. And tonight, look up at the sky for a sunset or sunrise & to the Night Sky Trail (Milky Way) that leads to Home. Again, I am so sorry it wasn't the end that we hoped and prayed for.
May the Most High and universe bless all of you who are so caring, thank you so much 🧡
i will definitely honor him in a new thread, once i get some closure. I am missing yet another cat but this cat has gone missing in the past since he uncommonly gets attacked by my once socialized tomcat that has come and gone in the past.

We have buried Ñaña (nyanya, ill explain the spanish name later on), and i will try to disinfect the carrier he was in and try to see if the vet can give me his collar back. That was another thing that upset me, $800 for so little and on top of that, they don't bother returning his collar, i was gonna try to wear it as a bracelet for the rest of my life.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. You definitely fought the good fight for your little boy, against pretty high odds at that. Once distemper gets a hold, it is hard to treat/recover. You gave him help and love during his life which no one else would have done and you have to hang onto that memory. Some of your other cats have the FVRCP vaccine, so they should have immunity but I agree with asking the vet for help with other suggestions to boost their immunity.
I feel a little better knowing i did what i can, but i will probably cry a lot of times when i think about him and his last sounds he made.. my mom keeps telling me that i need to let go, because it seems that every outdoor cat that i take extra care of ends up dying, ive seen it happen with 4 other cats i loved so much. It's so weird b/c the other skittish cats and kittens that i never pet never have any health problems and rarely ever disappear

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, don't quit! It takes a special passion, a certain drive & you have those gifts. I understand your mom wanting to protect your tender feelings but you are made of strong stuff. Someday, that same heart of yours will care & protect your mom in her own twilight years.
It is very haunting to be with a being who is dying. I hope that you don't have to experience death vigils with humans but I know from personal experience that the coping skills from losing our dogs & cats & horses help keep us sane if we do have those encounters. Sometimes the best gift one can give is to comfort a stranger, on a lonely highway during a dark night; remember, though, when seconds feel like hours, and the dark is blacker than black, the stars shine brighter and the spirits of those furry ones feel close again & memories of them shine brightly once more. It's normal to feel lonely during times like these but with your TCS family, you are never alone.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
May the Most High and universe bless all of you who are so caring, thank you so much 🧡
i will definitely honor him in a new thread, once i get some closure. I am missing yet another cat but this cat has gone missing in the past since he uncommonly gets attacked by my once socialized tomcat that has come and gone in the past.

We have buried Ñaña (nyanya, ill explain the spanish name later on), and i will try to disinfect the carrier he was in and try to see if the vet can give me his collar back. That was another thing that upset me, $800 for so little and on top of that, they don't bother returning his collar, i was gonna try to wear it as a bracelet for the rest of my life.
Thank you, moreknow moreknow for those lovely words.
Cats need all the friends they can get and it makes me happy that they can count on you.
Nana is a beautiful name and I can wait to hear the story behind it.

I don't know why the vet would have removed Nana's collar in the first place. I hope you get it back.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
sorry ive been trying to focus on the last days of school in ways i can but i will be sure to reply to y'all in the future once i get another problem out of the way
i posted a new thread, would y'all follow me if i posted a video blog on Instagram? i want to start an account highlighting my cat struggles (should I?) and hopefully once i get my life together i can start rescuing other cats

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
sorry ive been trying to focus on the last days of school in ways i can but i will be sure to reply to y'all in the future once i get another problem out of the way
i posted a new thread, would y'all follow me if i posted a video blog on Instagram? i want to start an account highlighting my cat struggles (should I?) and hopefully once i get my life together i can start rescuing other cats

I will follow you on Instagram, no problem. You posted a new thread- here? How are your other cats doing?- there is one that is struggling?

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I will follow you on Instagram, no problem. You posted a new thread- here? How are your other cats doing?- there is one that is struggling?
I started a new Instagram called catstruggle, thank u 🙏🏼

Status
Not open for further replies.