Kitten suddenly feeling ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again,
After a series of unlucky events this morning my mom got upset with me regarding my semiferal cat messes, and when she overthinks she takes it all out on me, and im talking about screaming and crying and crazy overreactions.. then top it off, a black kitten, that’s pretty social, secretly ran into the house before my mom got mad and hid under the kitchen table on top of a chair. Then at the point where my mom is yelling and yelling, the kitten comes out meowing some sort of way and then vomits, which drove my mom insane.. i clean up and place the kitten outside, where he’s always at. I had just got him neutered and vaccinated last week and now a couple hours later i come see him sleeping under a tree, not wanting to eat or move. I bring him inside and he kept trying to leave. I presented him a friskies can with a probiotic chew and immune system support powder, then added a pate that has more smell to it, but would not eat. And now he’s sleeping on the couch (bot the first time), meowing weakly and breathing kinda fast.. he had completely normal behavior yesterday, eating and purring and running into the house like always. What would y’all do in this situation? Im keeping an eye on him, and since my mom is completely fed up with my cats right now, im just worried that ill have to sneak a trip to the vet if i have to.. could this be an upset stomach?

Attachments

~Lunar-Lullaby~

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you check his gums? If they're pale he could be anemic. Do you notice any fleas on him? If I were you I'd take him to the vet asap. Kittens can go downhill very quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
how could i open up his mouth? he keeps turning away. and i assume he would have fleas like his siblings who are outside all the time. He's over 5 months old

~Lunar-Lullaby~

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he and his siblings have fleas then I think it's likely he's anemic, but it could be something else. Are his sibling acting the same way? I would definitely call a vet or the place he was neutered and see what they say about it.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
no his 2 other siblings are doing fine outside, they ate and were running around. If i can remember correctly, When he vomited this morning, it was light brown/yellowish. I believe he might've ate too much yesterday, i always present the cats with wet food, dry food, and both of them mixed. But i will check the gums when my mom leaves because she's still upset at me

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am also very concerned given the problem with the neighbor.
I took this picture when he was laying on the couch. On the left is his anus, and it seems that there’s a little poop hanging out, it could be something else.. what could this be? and the right side is the testicles (idk what vets do exactly when neutering). It looks like they shaved something. I called the vets but i always have worries that they’ll mistreat him since he’s feral. The one i called was recommended to me on fb, 4.6 stars on google. They told me that they are a walk-in clinic, and i work tomorrow all day so i must keep an eye on him and try to keep him indoors as much as i can.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy....those unretracted claws are a sign that he feels terrible :(. At the very least, try giving him a bit of unflavored pedialyte with a syringe, a little at a time, in small but frequent doses. Also, you can dab a tiny bit of white karo syrup or honey onto his gums. StefanZ StefanZ . Jcatbird Jcatbird , Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ....any suggestions/opinions?

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
i had him inside all day and i decided i should let him out since he was meowing so he goes pee and i feel that he should’ve gone somewhere where he usually does but now he’s gone. And i saw a great dane looking dog by my neighbors housd, but it doesn’t seem that he chased my cats.. it’s goijg to rain tomorrow and i work all day and im tored of this.. im really contemplating getting rid of these cats or getting rid of myself.. nothing is going right and ive been hopeful but my parents dont help either, im just a burden wasting oxygen and time and money on cats that shouldn’t even be in my life

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Please be encouraged -. I'd say that 98+% of rescuers have felt like you are feeling about now. I know that I certainly have. Remind yourself that you are already making more of a positive difference not only for those cats but also for your neighborhood, your community, your nation. It would be nice if more people supported you so you wouldn't be so alone in your cause but human nature is to dump responsibility onto the few brave enough & willing enough to face a challenge. Tell us what you need & maybe we can think of ways to get you some much-needed assistance.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
:alright: Please be encouraged -. I'd say that 98+% of rescuers have felt like you are feeling about now. I know that I certainly have. Remind yourself that you are already making more of a positive difference not only for those cats but also for your neighborhood, your community, your nation. It would be nice if more people supported you so you wouldn't be so alone in your cause but human nature is to dump responsibility onto the few brave enough & willing enough to face a challenge. Tell us what you need & maybe we can think of ways to get you some much-needed assistance.
i feel like im complaining and complaining but ive helped these cats for 4 years and now it's getting to me that i spend too much time with them.. i just want someone to talk to, but i can't go to therapy.. if my mom found out im needing that she'd lose it

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
i cant help but feel terrible. i failed yet another cat, and that little kitten went through so much. He survived the winter storm, was lost in an rv park after jumping out of my car's engine, then got stuck again in my dad's truck's engine and was there the whole time we drove 20 miles running errands. Then after all that, i took him to get neutered and vaccinated and now all of a sudden he disappears because of ONE WRONG MOVE i make

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may recover....at any rate, it is between God and him. We do what we can and accept the rest. You did alot for that kitten but when it's our "time", the best we can hope for is to go with our boots on. If it isn't his time, Heaven will send that little guy what he needs.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Try the Alley Cat Allies link in your other thread and see if you can find someone to talk to and to help you sort this out. With a large number of cats it is impossible to have a really high success record no matter what you do and you have to focus on those who you have helped who would have been lost without you.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
So after leaving for work at around 10am, i go to my backyard and there he is, laying down on the floor, still alive. I bring him into my garage (mom didn't want him inside) and i put him in a cat carrier. I come back at 2pm and i make emergency calls to all clinics available and went to the one that was able to give an immediate emergency exam. On the way there it smelled like something was rotten, i believe it was him which led me to believe that he had worms. I told that to the vet when i got there, they examined him and told me that he was extremely dehydrated and was in shock and had a temp of 94 degrees. This is my first time ever at a vet. They told me they gave me the minimum cost for taking care of him.. i had to pay a $600 deposit and they would call me after they do the blood work and he‘ll be hospitalized, staying overnight. My parents are going to kill me, my dad can see my account.. but im glad he’ll be in safer hands. I’ll update again tonight

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
So after leaving for work at around 10am, i go to my backyard and there he is, laying down on the floor, still alive. I bring him into my garage (mom didn't want him inside) and i put him in a cat carrier. I come back at 2pm and i make emergency calls to all clinics available and went to the one that was able to give an immediate emergency exam. On the way there it smelled like something was rotten, i believe it was him which led me to believe that he had worms. I told that to the vet when i got there, they examined him and told me that he was extremely dehydrated and was in shock and had a temp of 94 degrees. This is my first time ever at a vet. They told me they gave me the minimum cost for taking care of him.. i had to pay a $600 deposit and they would call me after they do the blood work and he‘ll be hospitalized, staying overnight. My parents are going to kill me, my dad can see my account.. but im glad he’ll be in safer hands. I’ll update again tonight
I am concerned that his temp is below 95, but I am also so relieved that he is at the vet, being kept warm and hydrated. Emergency vet clinics are highway robbers but they will do their best for the little guy. Thank you for persevering and caring for these cats.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to try to help this little guy. When this is resolved, try to find a vet who might have reasonable charges. Post on Nextdoor if you have that and ask for help and advice. ER vets are sky high. The one I took my GSD to a couple of weeks ago charged $150 just to walk in which is pretty typical.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am concerned that his temp is below 95, but I am also so relieved that he is at the vet, being kept warm and hydrated. Emergency vet clinics are highway robbers but they will do their best for the little guy. Thank you for persevering and caring for these cats.
every other clinic offered services charging over $100, but this clinic was the only one that would take him in right away, there were 2 other places that sounded more affordable but their wait times were 20-90 minutes when i called

Status
Not open for further replies.