Kitten suddenly biting again

daniellee7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my kitten used to have a biting issue and then she calmed down after a while but recently it started back up. She just always bites my feet or legs. I’ve tried feeding and playing with her but she just keeps doing it. Any advice please?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens go thru stages as they are growing up where they get rather bold and bossy. You in turn need to let her know what isn’t okay and that you are in charge. If you can anticipate when she might jump at you then stop, face her and give her an authoritative “no” or “no biting”. If that doesn’t stop her you can gently hold her down for a few seconds. What I used to do when my teen kitten was being obnoxious or bitey was to pick them up, one arm under their belly, one hand on the back of their head so they couldn’t bite and take them for a walk around the house for a few minutes. Being held when you want to go wild is something they didn’t like and could make them think twice about attacking my feet or biting again. It takes consistency but they do learn.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another trick to try is the MINUTE she goes to bite, give her a short, sharp HISS. This is what her mother, or another kitten wouId do if she got too rough. They pretty much come into this worId knowing what a HISS means!

NyX-007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kittens go thru stages as they are growing up where they get rather bold and bossy. You in turn need to let her know what isn’t okay and that you are in charge. If you can anticipate when she might jump at you then stop, face her and give her an authoritative “no” or “no biting”. If that doesn’t stop her you can gently hold her down for a few seconds. What I used to do when my teen kitten was being obnoxious or bitey was to pick them up, one arm under their belly, one hand on the back of their head so they couldn’t bite and take them for a walk around the house for a few minutes. Being held when you want to go wild is something they didn’t like and could make them think twice about attacking my feet or biting again. It takes consistency but they do learn.
Makes sense 😉
Thx for sharing 👍🏻

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also... be careful what you do after the bite/attack. If you take that as your cue to play or feed, then the cat has just trained YOU. If there's a bite, then let her know it wasn't okay, then go about your business for a while. Then when activities are back to normal, then you can play or feed or whatever you think she wanted.