Kitten sucks on rugs and blankets....

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted my kitten Marley from the Humane Society about 3 weeks ago.
He loves to suck on my bath rugs and my chanel throw. I feel so bad when he does it because he "makes biscuits" (mashes his paws into the blanket/rug) as if he really feeding from his mother. He will leave soaking wet little spots on the blanket too.
Is this normal behavior? Will he grow out of it?
I stop him when he does it, but he will just start doing it again.
He is about 11 weeks old and is a grey striped tabby.

serenasmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard that when cats do this, there's the possibility that they were weaned from mother's milk too early. My mom's cat did the same thing, but now that's he's adult, he switched from sucking on blankets to licking them.
I think it's funny, and he doesn't seem, in any way, harmed by this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystalized

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it is really odd and feel sad that he can't get anything out of the rug/blanket.

It annoys my BF and he thinks poor Marley is a titty baby.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
Originally Posted by krystalized

I stop him when he does it, but he will just start doing it again. He is about 11 weeks old and is a grey striped tabby.
Don't stop him, it's soothing and comforting to him. use that time to give him extra attention and love while he is sucking and biscuiting and he will reduce it on his own but it may remain a lifelong way he settles in and comforts himself.

as for your boyfriend's comments, politely tell him to shut up

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally this type of activity is done when the kitten hasn't had enough contact with the momcat. Once the kitten plants his scent on an item, he will return to that item and connect with it and suck on it. I do not allow my kittens to suckle, it can lead to unhealthy behavior problems if not stopped. I give them a small safe stuffie called a snuggle kittie to suckle up to, because that is what is for www.snugglekittie.com

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou suckled on my neck for almost 2 years before he went to sleep. He occasionally licks my neck for a second or two now and then settles into sleep. I guess he has outgrown his need to suckle.