Kitten suckling on neck

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Usually, I have no problem with kittens suckling. Most of my fosters were separated from mom too early so a lot of them suckle. But this little guy is a next level limpet.

He's a tiny 6 week old, and he's drawn to the neck like a magnet. If I remove him, he's already coming back before his feet even touch the ground. If I cover my neck, he claws and burrows at it frantically (plus it's summer here; I can't wear a scarf all the time!).

It may sound cute, but those little kneading claws HURT, and once he starts his sister often joins in. I'm worried it'll put off potential adopters

Any tips for saving my neck from this tiny bit of fluff and needles?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww. I have no advice at all. I’m just enchanted & hoping for photos. (But I’m sure wiser people here will be piping in very soon). :hearthrob:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since suckling is something kittens do for feeding, calming and for general comfort, make sure they are getting proper nourishment, have no medical issues and then try distracting them with extra play. It can be from anxiety and another things that relieves kitten stress is lots of play time. A favorite game may help the kitten to work off some of the anxiety and become relaxed and tired enough to rest contentedly.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When I rescued Coco she would jjump for joy when i headed for my bed, wrap herself around my neck,chew my bracelet, rub herself all over my face,and knead her paws. She loves to be brushed and give her lots of chew toys.something else to do like play with a trixie puzzle for her to spend time with. Eventually she stopped.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, I have no problem with kittens suckling. Most of my fosters were separated from mom too early so a lot of them suckle. But this little guy is a next level limpet.

He's a tiny 6 week old, and he's drawn to the neck like a magnet. If I remove him, he's already coming back before his feet even touch the ground. If I cover my neck, he claws and burrows at it frantically (plus it's summer here; I can't wear a scarf all the time!).

It may sound cute, but those little kneading claws HURT, and once he starts his sister often joins in. I'm worried it'll put off potential adopters

Any tips for saving my neck from this tiny bit of fluff and needles?
Also,my cat Coco has very thin needle like claws. If she scratches on a post made out of sisal, her claws get stuck then she yelps in pain. So long and slanted scratch posts made from curogated cardboard and trim her nails. My mom does it because every time I try to she licks my fingers

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
First, trim just the very tips of those sharp claws. Then, try dipping the corner of a soft cloth in kitten formula and offering this to the kittens to suckle on. Refresh as needed. You can also offer a soft, cuddly plush toy they may want to “nurse” or snuggle. I had a cat who kneaded and suckled on a teddy bear her entire life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I've tried distracting him with toys and offering him the fluffy blanket that every other kitten (and my adult cat!) love to suckle on, but the little vampire is fixated on my neck. I ended up wearing a scarf today - he suckled on my earlobe instead for about an hour before he fell asleep. Poor baby.

I'll keep trying distracting and deterring him. He and his siblings are quite underweight so hopefully once he's fed properly and settled in he'll ease up.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They need to invent a pacifier for kittens! Not much you can do.keep putting him down. I wish I could remember what I did but that was 6 yrs ago

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a shame you don't have a surrogate mother for them, we have done that before now, you've got to admit though it is very very cute 🫣❤