Kitten Suckling On Itself

Six gun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three kittens abandoned by their mother. I've had them since Day 3. They will be 4 weeks on Thursday. Last week they started suckling on each other, and from what I understand that can happen with hand raised kittens. We had to separate them because we were afraid of injury.
It unfortunately hasn't solved the problem. The one that had has worst swelling is now sucking himself and he is doing so until he's so raw and red skin that I am very afraid for him. He peed this morning, but I'm terrified every day that he won't any longer.
I'm open to any suggestions. He has a bootable and stuffed animal but chooses himself. I was wondering if one of three bottle nipples that hasn't been used / punctured would work, like a pacifier, or if that would hurt him somehow.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes! You are right that suckling can cause serious medical problems. Separating them until they stop sibling suckling is a must and good step, I had it happen and it took a good three weeks for them to stop suckling each other when together. You still will want to do supervised play time together so they don't loose that benefit of siblings but don't leave them alone together for even a second.

For the one that is still suckling on itself, have you noticed a trigger? When hungry? When falling asleep? If so, be present at the trigger and redirect or stop the suckling. It's very labor intensive but the behavior needs to be stopped. If you can't identify the trigger you might need to make a onsie for the kitten to protect it's skin. You can start with a preemie onsie and size down or baby doll clothes may work. It's hard because of how tiny kittens are but something that cover the area being suckled and can't be easily removed. You might check with your vet about maybe a no chew medical tape option but I'd be worried about adhesive on the raw skin.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try soaking the end of a clean rag in goats milk, and let him suckle this instead. This may help to redirect the suckling from himself.
You can get real creative and give him a big stuffed toy. Place the rag where the teats would be. He's looking for the comfort of mom and suckling is a baby's way of finding it. This is why some will still suckle even when they are much too old to need mothers milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Six gun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh I hadn't thought of covering him. Maybe a shock with holes would work. It seems to be when he's sleeping overnight. In the morning he's wet and sore and by night he's looking pretty ok. Than this morning he was just terrible again. I told my husband I'd just have to sleep with him every night. But I'm not sure I could do that for weeks.

Six gun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both. I can tell it's a comfort thing. They feel the need to be close. If it was one or two it would be easier, but all three is logistically difficult.

Six gun

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only after their breakfast can I trust them to sleep together, and I feel they need that interaction to be somewhat well adjusted.
We'll keep Moe, Larry and Curly for life, but we already have so many crazies, we'll try and keep them as normal as possible.
15397929467181073427171.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please apply coconut oil to the red, suckled areas to aid in healing.

Do give him a soft cloth with a corner soaked in formula or goat milk to suckle.

Putting him in a sock with holes cut is a great idea!

Thank you for caring for these precious babies! :)